F-150 backed into my GT500...at a traffic light!

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
So there we were in the first of two left turn lanes at a red light. The F-150 is first in line and I'm right behind him with other traffic behind me and in the the number two left turn lane. The light for traffic going straight turns green and he proceeds out into the middle of the intersection and stops. I didn't move an inch and I'm just watching this guy thinking he'll just turn left anyway since there was no cross traffic. Wrong. The next thing I see are his reverse lights and then I hear his tires squeal as he proceeds to backup and plow into the front of my car. All I could do was lay into my horn without success. I'm 39 years old and have NEVER been in a car accident. Of all the POS' I've owned, my first accident had to be in my 6 month old GT500. Anyway, the driver was an 18 y/o kid and he said that he just panicked. He was real scared about what just happened and accepted responsibility right away (like he had an argument anyway). He was very mature about whole situation so I had no need to act like a dick. I was even more calm after reviewing the damage. Based on the feel of the impact, I was certain there would be damage to the bumper, hood, grille, fender, HID's, etc. but the only thing that needed replacement was the bumper cover , insulator and impact bar. As you can see in the pics, his hitch punched through my front bumper and impacted head-on with the passenger side frame rail. This stopped his truck from riding up into the grille, hood, lights, and radiator. I was very surprised and realized how lucky I was. Things kinda worked out in the end since now I have a new bumper without the license plate holes drilled in (bought from a dealer in VA who said he HAD to do it for the temp tag). I also got some cash from a diminished value claim. Total cost of damage was a little over $1300. Still, I had a lot of sleepless nights until the car was good as new again.

PIC3.jpg

PIC2.jpg

PIC4.jpg

PIC5.jpg

PIC6.jpg

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
im sure its a longshot but if you have a way to get a hold of that bumper, id like to take if off your hands

Sorry man, this happened a few weeks ago and the bumper has already been disposed of. It never crossed my mind to keep it as I was more concerned with just getting it fixed.

GRABRRR

Established Member
My hat's off to you for handling it like you did. That took some will power.

......and now you have a front bumper with no plate holes.:thumbsup:

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
Right after the accident my 15 year-old daughter, who was riding with me at the time, was more pissed than me and I had to calm her down after she started yelling at the guy. I was honestly waiting for him to drop the "bitch" word on her after which I would have completely blown a gasket and probably spent the night in jail. But he just stood there and took it, kinda like he knew he deserved it. The kid was obviously freaked out so I composed myself and handled it in a civilized manner.

Krwy

Established Member
Wow, that sucked. What a stupid ass kid. I thought only my sister didn't pay attention while she was driving.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank God you were the only two vehicles in that area (no witnesses) and he didn't claim you rear-ended him. That would have been hard to disprove. I've heard of people doing this as a scam. Well, at least your GT-500 is back to prime again. And most important nobody was hurt. I can well imagine how it freaked you out when you're helpless to stop a vehicle from hitting you when you see it coming.

rob03svt06

Purple Heart Veteran
Established Member
wow, what a dumb ass, that much damage at a redlight he must have punched the gas to go through the bumper cover, support, then the mounting bracket. glad you dident go to jail, his loss your gain. cheerio

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
Thank God you were the only two vehicles in that area (no witnesses) and he didn't claim you rear-ended him. That would have been hard to disprove. I've heard of people doing this as a scam. Well, at least your GT-500 is back to prime again. And most important nobody was hurt. I can well imagine how it freaked you out when you're helpless to stop a vehicle from hitting you when you see it coming.

Actually, there were several cars behind and to the side of us also waiting to turn. Right after he hit me, I jumped out of my car and dropped several F-bombs (according to my daughter) as I walked up to the truck. Not one single person complained or honked a horn about me holding up traffic. I guess they could see how pissed I was and wanted none of it. I could've asked one or two witnesses to stick around for the police report but I didn't feel it was necessary since the kid was cooperating.

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
Fayetteville?

Yep. It happened at the intersection of Bragg Blvd. and Fort Bragg Rd. The kid was coming from FTCC and I had just picked my daughter up at Terry Sanford HS. We were both on Bragg Rd. waiting to turn left onto Bragg Blvd. heading back to post.

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
Glad everything turned out alright. This is why mine stays off the road and Im looking for a higher mileage car to daily drive.

I have a little Hyundai as my DD and I only take the Shelby out every now and then. It's weird though how it seems there are so many more "near-misses" when I am out in the Shelby than when I'm driving any other car. Maybe it's because my situational awareness meter is maxed out and I'm paranoid as hell.

Last edited:

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
That sucks, man, but at least he wasn't a retard about it and you're car is all fixed up again. I hear you on the sleepless nights until it was fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread