Extended Vehicle Warranty

samshady

Established Member
Guys just wanted to share my experience with Mercury insurance for mechanical issues. When I bought my 2012 GT500 with 41K on the clock I didn't think I'd be seeing any issues this soon. I started hearing a noise in the rearend, I thought it was gear whine at first. Then it seemed to get a little louder and I noticed it would go away when cutting the wheel back and forth so I thought wheel bearing. I had a tech take a ride and that's when I got the bad news. He felt like the the noise was in the pinion bearing and I possibly had a bad wheel bearing too. After diagnosing they came back with needing a rebuild of the rear end. The estimate was $2400. The dealership sent the information to the warranty company and they sent an inspector out. They replaced both axle bearings and seals, carrier bearrings, pinion bearing, ring and pinion gears, and clutches in the traction lock. The tech said the carrier bearing had pitting and was very loose, there were metal shavings in the gear lube. Final bill was $2188 I paid my $100 deductible. Looks like the warranty was worth the purchase and I still have 3 years 36k miles left on it.

96gt02

Established Member
I just bought a 2010 raptor fairly recently with 90K on it, it was the first vehicle I ever even consider buying the optional warranty. In my case the truck was bought at a Ford dealer so the ESP was the Ford premium care attached to my VIN so basically no extra hoops to get something warrantied. I went with the 2 year 24,000 mile option and in my first two months of ownership it has nearly paid for itself already. Bought the truck with a sticking lower steering shaft and broken front spring (didnt realize this for about a month as it rides surprising nice still) both of which were covered, as well a trans pan gasket slightly leaking after flushing it and drivers seat heater. As long as you have a legit warranty company they are actually really good.

69b302

Established Member
I have Ford ESP, on my 2015, and have have been dinged by the diagnostic charges. This does come down to the dealership, and the Ford dealers in my area are horrible. I would not recommend a ESP, unless you know your dealership will treat you right.

96gt02

Established Member
I have Ford ESP, on my 2015, and have have been dinged by the diagnostic charges. This does come down to the dealership, and the Ford dealers in my area are horrible. I would not recommend a ESP, unless you know your dealership will treat you right.
Thats odd, what was the situation in which you had to pay for the diag on an issue? Was the issue found by the diag not covered under warranty?

samshady

Established Member
The dealership quoted me diagnostic time but it wasn't on the bill. Unless the warranty company paid separate I think dealer added it to the repair time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96gt02

Established Member
Interesting, I guess I haven't experienced the whole diag thing since everytime my truck has had an issue I figure out the issue before I go in to the dealer and tell them what the problem is lol.

69b302

Established Member
Thats odd, what was the situation in which you had to pay for the diag on an issue? Was the issue found by the diag not covered under warranty?

It was an AC leak, on a 2015 Mustang GT. AC systems is covered, but bring the car in with non-working AC, first thing is "we have to charge you to refill the system and also charge you diag why it does not work." They refill the AC system, and of course AC works, so no problem found, please pay for the diag and recharge. If they actually diagnosed the problem, and replaced a part, the refill would be covered but not time diagnosing. Unfortunately the Ford dealers in my area go from complete crooks to borderline crooks. I complained to Ford about how the AC system is covered: I bring in my car with non-working AC and leave with working AC, and it's not covered? Ford said yes, that is the way ESP works.

96gt02

Established Member
Oh yeah man wow that really sucks, they definitely should have covered all of that. And not for nothing but if you car is low on freon then its leaking, so they also should have figured that out as well, freon doesnt get used up or good bad, so if its low its leaking flat out.

samshady

Established Member
Oh yeah man wow that really sucks, they definitely should have covered all of that. And not for nothing but if you car is low on freon then its leaking, so they also should have figured that out as well, freon doesnt get used up or good bad, so if its low its leaking flat out.
I've been out of the game awhile but there was an acceptable loss of freon from a sealed system. Never the less they should have added UV dye to the system and let it run to diagnose a major leak or just accepted loss over time. When I trained with R134a it was something ridiculous like up to 25% loss per year through seals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

69b302

Established Member
freon doesnt get used up or good bad, so if its low its leaking flat out.

Agreed, but the Ford service manager viewed it as a consumable. My complaint was I should not pay for the recharge, but Ford did not see it that way. The S550s have lots of issues with AC.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Carmax did a terrible job inspecting my GT500 prior to offering it for sale. Led to the car being a few months down (literally) at a dealer under factory powertrain warranty to get the issue resolved.

That being said, Ive been beyond satisfied with Carmax Max Care. I paid $1800 for the lowest deductible package for 5 years and essentially up to 75K vehicle miles. I would guestimate that Ive greatly exceeded that value, with an evaporator core being the most costly replacement. No matter what has failed I take it to Ford, authorize repairs and only pay my $50 deductible.

I only have 1 more year left on my warranty and there is a part of methat is sad about that haha

Users who are viewing this thread