Explorer exhaust smell issue fixed

AssPikle

Established Member
So long story short, my wife's 2018 explorer was experiencing exhaust odor in the cabin under hard acceleration and when going over bridges. Well, after beating my head against the wall and ford blowing us off, I had it fixed myself. If anyone is having the same issue, consider doing this. It was cheap and worked perfectly.
20200930_181222.jpg

AssPikle

Established Member
@PikleRick
Isn't there a TSB about the exhaust? We have a '19 and it's supposed to be fixed...
Yes, they did it, and it didn't fix it. They put a ton of black sealant all over the place trying to seal off the air passages where the smell can come in and they play with the logic to turn off the rear vents under hard acceleration, neither of which did anything.

After some research, ford was having this issue on quite a few of their edge and explorer suvs, and there were even lawsuits filed. Then ford decided to put fake tips with downturns on all their 2019 and up SUVs which im betting is the real fix. The aero of the back of these cars creates negative air which then draws into the cabin around the hatch. They screwed up and wouldn't do anything for us.

Not to sound sour, but I've been a ford guy for a very long time. Decades, and this situation put me in a place that I will never buy a new ford again. This car is still under factory warranty. Kicked to the curb by the company I supported for a long time. Wont do it anymore.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
We had issues with our 2016 Explorer Sport that they tried to fix too. I ended up upgrading to an Expedition since they couldn't quite get rid of the smell. Interesting you were able to resolve with a turndown.

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
i have a 16 and never really notice any smell, however i have seen another 16 limited that was originally sold in california and ford bought back for whatever reason and resold here in illinois, but i noticed that the tail pipes on that truck had the same fake tips with the turn downs from factory. i know they started putting fake tips till the 19s like you said, i wonder why this 16 has them

Users who are viewing this thread