Experience with Eric Vaughn widened Super Snake wheels

paluka21

Established Member
I decided over the winter to send my Alcoa super snake wheels off to Eric Vaughn in California for widening. Despite the cost of shipping and time and materials with Eric, I decided that investing money in these wheels were what I wanted to do. The super snake Alcoa wheels are hands down my favorite wheel for Shelbys, and I therefore do not plan to run another wheel on this particular car.
Thanks to several board members who paved the way for this process by documenting their trial and errors which helped this to be a seamless (nearly) project. Much of the credit goes to TORQJNKY for his detailed pictures and explanations, which can be found here: https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/eric-vaughn-widened-alcoas.906245/

I started by researching methods to ship the wheels across the country which would be the most cost effective. After considering all factors I went with USPS, which charged approximately $80 a wheel for standard ground shipping. For boxes I stopped by my local UHAUL store and purchased their extra large boxes at 24"x18"x24" for a few bucks each. I made certain to line the boxes in styrofoam and taped bubble wrap around each wheel. I believe shipping weight was about 37.5lbs for each box. (As a note, anything larger than 108 overall inches will be charged an astronomical oversized fee. The 24"x18"x24" box is exactly 108" and therefore does not apply).
boxes.JPG

February 1st off the wheels went to California, and after several months of waiting for my wheels to be returned and phone chats with Eric, I finally received them the third week of April. Upon inspecting the boxes I noticed the only protection for the wheels were doubled cardboard without styrofoam or other damage prevention packing. Unfortunately each wheel took a hit to the outer rim edge which resulted in insignificant damage which is barely noticeable. However, I know the dings are there and am not happy about it, but decided it's not worth the trouble to go through UPS for repair/replacement.
IMG_0451.JPG

Onto the workmanship of the wheels: Each cut and weld appears to have been completed via a machine as the seams are very neat and cleaned up. While Eric had my wheels, he also repaired slight damage around the lip of one of the wheels from improper tire changing techniques. His work was done so well, I cannot even tell which wheel was repaired.
Below is a picture of the welded seam, which I used a clear coat on to prevent any risk of rusting or corrosion.
IMG_0450.JPG

paluka21

Established Member
continued:

Each wheel fit very well inside the 315/30r20 Toyo tires, and given they are 11.75" each, I could probably squeeze them into a 325 width tire as the 315 appears to be slightly stretched with zero sidewall bulge. The shop who mounted them told me they balanced very well and are true (ie: not wobbling or warped, which they always check for.)
IMG_0476.JPG

The final product and look I am very happy with. I lowered the rear of the car with Ford L springs and kept the front springs stock. The wheel well gap is darn near even front to back and the car sits even. Some like the look of having a slight rake, so installing the Ford front L spring would lower the front down another .4", which I'm not concerned about. I also have an incline to my driveway that my lower front splitter nearly scrapes, which doesn't essentially leave me the option of lowering the front.
The ride quality of the Toyo's with a 30 series definitely has more NVH over the "cushy" Nitto NT555R's with a 35 series profile. I feel a slight vibration and hear more road noise, but this is not a concern for me. It's simply a nuance that I will deal with and for others to be aware of.
I have not tested the traction as well as I would like as of yet, but I will say they dead hook from a 2nd roll WOT.
IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They look great! Which Toyo did you put on them?

paluka21

Established Member
To get these wheels to fit, I followed the TORJNKY's advice of "altering" the bump stop brackets, by essentially using a dremel with a metal cutting bit and a large hammer to move the altered bracket inward. In addition, I had to remove the dust boot on the shock as the wheels rubbed. And it wasn't even close in the clearance department.
I am going to purchase JB weld to fill in the seams of the bump stop bracket and then coat them in undercarriage black treatment to prevent any rust or corrosion. Then hopefully, they will appear much cleaner.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks great, all around great choices.
On a side note, I just installed my front splitter after having it painted body color (sterling grey for me). I think you'd love that mod as you have the Roush side splitters. The painted upper splitter (one piece part common to all '10-14s) and keeping stock black on the lower '13-14 specific pieces really sets it off.
And I agree with you on the springs, sits level and very nice.
Congrats!
-J

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Perfect! That's the same wheel, width, & rear tire I run. Eric also did mine a few years ago. Enjoy the traction, you'll have it!

paluka21

Established Member
For those interested, here are a few low quality cell phone photo's of the rear. I attempted to get better shots of the tires, but it's a bit difficult with the cell phone.
IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0515-2.JPG

IMG_0516-2.JPG

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That looks awesome.
Some serious meats out back.

paluka21

Established Member
Looks great, all around great choices.
On a side note, I just installed my front splitter after having it painted body color (sterling grey for me). I think you'd love that mod as you have the Roush side splitters. The painted upper splitter (one piece part common to all '10-14s) and keeping stock black on the lower '13-14 specific pieces really sets it off.
And I agree with you on the springs, sits level and very nice.
Congrats!
-J
That's actually not a bad idea. I may look into eventually having that done.

Chuckieduck

Established Member
paluka21, I have the same size R888s sitting in my garage and I'm waiting to send my wheels to Vaughn (luckily I'm not to far from him) and I have been trying to figure out how wide to go on the rears. You say the tire looks stretched at 11.75". Do you think it would look better sticking with 11" or maybe 11.25"?

paluka21

Established Member
paluka21, I have the same size R888s sitting in my garage and I'm waiting to send my wheels to Vaughn (luckily I'm not to far from him) and I have been trying to figure out how wide to go on the rears. You say the tire looks stretched at 11.75". Do you think it would look better sticking with 11" or maybe 11.25"?
With the 315 tires and super snake wheels, the least I would
widen each wheel would be 11.5". You want a sidewall that doesn't have any bulge or else you run the risk of rubbing the fender against the tire if you're lowered and you hit a large enough bump to compress the suspension. With 11.75" the sidewall does look a little stretched but it fits well. An 11.5 would most likely fit nearly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread