Expected: Mach 1 vs 99 Trans Am LS1

Hybbs

Established Member
Those are healthy numbers for a Mach I. Sounds like those cams are good for around 60+ rwhp. The LS1 probably gets you off the line, but you reel him in on the top end.

stroked mach

Established Member
well I don't think the dyno is know for running the numbers it puts down over at lees but they do last, I still think you can drag him easy off the line and up on top

oChristiano

Established Member
Hate to make a bench race thread but I figured you guys would know best. Just wanted to start a conversation before it happened.
One of my friends just bought a 99 Trans Am with headers, ls7 cam, built trans (m6), and has drag radials on it now. Its never been dynoed.
My car is a 2004 Mach 1. Longtubes, o/r midpipe, shifter, intake, cams, tune, 4:10s, drag wheels. Made 373/352.
Hes really been running his mouth lately about Mustangs. I smoked him when he had a bolt on LT1 when I had an intake and mufflers. So hes wanting revenge.
How do you guys think this will go? Ive heard I can drive my car pretty well if that helps.

You sure its a LS7 cam? That's a lot of work for a stock cam being a single bolt vs stock 3 bolt.

I see the race going differently. You get him out of the hole, and see if he has enough to come around you.

Damon03Termi

Established Member
Those are healthy numbers for a Mach I. Sounds like those cams are good for around 60+ rwhp. The LS1 probably gets you off the line, but you reel him in on the top end.
Gained 55rwhp. That was only cams and a new tune.

It stormed all weekend here and he still has to break in his new trans.

You sure its a LS7 cam? That's a lot of work for a stock cam being a single bolt vs stock 3 bolt.

I see the race going differently. You get him out of the hole, and see if he has enough to come around you.
Thats what we were talking about. but who he bought the car off of, assured him it was an ls7 cam.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
my buddy had a cam only (the "garbage" GM hotcam) LS1 SS back in the day with long tubes and TOTL (two on the left exhaust) and ran consistent low 12s at around 116mph on street tires. i think i remember him trapping as high as 118mph. he had a good dyno tune though, made 390 at the wheels. his 60ft times weren't the greatest. it'll probably be a driver's race. your friend is probably in the 400rwhp range assuming it's running well and tuned well. of course i've seen 50rwhp variations in stock LS1s so who knows. i've also seen heads/cam LS1s struggle to make 400rwhp

oChristiano

Established Member
Gained 55rwhp. That was only cams and a new tune.

It stormed all weekend here and he still has to break in his new trans.

Thats what we were talking about. but who he bought the car off of, assured him it was an ls7 cam.
Interesting. I'd put $ on it being a LS6, if its even been switched. Do you know where the car falls off?

Think you're the first one to say LS.
Your on a heavily biased site :kaboom:

A healthy bolt on LS1 6spd will put down 350+ all day. If it really is cammed you can expect 370-380 pending bolt ons. Race weights will be similar and IMHO its going to come down to the driver. I give it to you based solely on you having more seat time.

pull the boss intake off of your 14.. set it on the ground next to the T/A.

within 10seconds the T/A should spontaneously burst into flames.
This made me chuckle pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread