exhaust question?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
My 08GT500 has a borla exhaust on it, which is way too quiet, and even ricey sounding.... :shrug:

I bought the car with 800 miles on it, and the previous owner had put the borla stuff on it....

anyhow, I am looking for suggestions on a better, louder, meaner sounding exhaust system....

I have an 07GT with FRPP exhaust, and the car sounds fantastic....nice deep rumble....pretty loud, but not overly obnoxious....

I didnt want to get the FRPP GT500 exhaust because I heard borla makes it for ford, and didnt want the same boring sounding exhaust as I have now....

any suggestions?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
FRPP SGT axle back exhaust is made by Borla and there isn't anything ricey sounding about this exhaust. I bet it probably sounds better than your GT.....But then exhaust notes are opinion based on how they sound.......

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
FRPP SGT axle back exhaust is made by Borla and there isn't anything ricey sounding about this exhaust. I bet it probably sounds better than your GT.....But then exhaust notes are opinion based on how they sound.......
I'm wondering if the borla branded and the one they make for FRPP are different....

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
My 08GT500 has a borla exhaust on it, which is way too quiet, and even ricey sounding.... :shrug:

First off, which Borla exhaust is it? There are at least 2 different ones out there for the GT500. Also, FRPP has 2 different sets for the GT500 specific (SGT and SVT1). Others have also used the 5GT version on the GT500 with good success. So, since there are several part numbers we could be talking about...which one do you have/not like?

Being that I have always heard that Borla makes the FRPP sets, I'm interested in the outcome of this discussion...

Congrats on the GT500!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
First off, which Borla exhaust is it? There are at least 2 different ones out there for the GT500. Also, FRPP has 2 different sets for the GT500 specific (SGT and SVT1). Others have also used the 5GT version on the GT500 with good success. So, since there are several part numbers we could be talking about...which one do you have/not like?

Being that I have always heard that Borla makes the FRPP sets, I'm interested in the outcome of this discussion...

Congrats on the GT500!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Good question as to which borla system the previous owner installed....I have a box in storage with the stock exhaust parts that came with the car....there is a good chance that they are in the borla box....I'll check that out this weekend....

I took a look and listen at a bassani 3" online, seems very loud, but also very cool....I think it had headers, too, which would have an altogether different sound as well...I'm not sure I want to go thru all of that work and expense, though....

I have the full bassani system on my 00R and its been great....the stock borla system on that was way to quiet and restrictive....

Captain Beyond

Established Member
What you need is FRPP exhaust - part# M-5230-5GT. This is the loudest and throatiest exhaust that Ford Racing sells. This is probably what's on your 07 GT. I have a slightly used one for sale. Pm me if interested. :coolman:

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I believe my 07GT has the -5GT, but will that work on a GT500? FRPP shows M-5230-SGT Fits 2007-08 SVT Mustang

I didnt realize they had that many different systems!

Last edited:

cobramark

Established Member
I have the FRPP SGT with headers, no cats and it sounds very raspy, at times even a little high pitched. Mustarossa has the Magnaflows with same headers sounds awesome(Very deep, not ricey at all).

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I believe my 07GT has the -5GT, but will that work on a GT500? FRPP shows M-5230-SGT Fits 2007-08 SVT Mustang

I didnt realize they had that many different systems!

Many on here have the 5GTs on their GT500s and are quite happy with them. I had them on my car for a week, but decided that I wanted something a bit quieter. The SGTs are made for the GT500s (which are a bit quieter) and the more agressive sounding 5GTs were originally made for the GTs. They are both interchangable though. Perhaps someone with these mufflers could chime in. :coolman:

gtcpa

Established Member
I went with the Borla "S" type mufflers on both my '06 Mustang GT and my '08 GT500, and the sound was deeper on the GT500.

Check your mufflers main body to see if they are round like a cylinder, or oval like stock mufflers. If they are oval, then I think you have the less aggresive sounding mufflers.

I have the round cylinder ones. The sound on my GT500 is close to the sound of the same on the Mustang GT with a catless H pipe that I had on it.

When I ordered the mufflers from Borla, I ordered the part number for the Mustang GT because their catalog did not have a part number for it on the GT500. The exact muffler fits both cars exactly the same. The only muffler (without a pipe system) that Borla had on its website was for the quieter muffler. This may be why some people get the "softer" sounding muffler instead of the throatier one.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I went with the Borla "S" type mufflers on both my '06 Mustang GT and my '08 GT500, and the sound was deeper on the GT500.

Check your mufflers main body to see if they are round like a cylinder, or oval like stock mufflers. If they are oval, then I think you have the less aggresive sounding mufflers.

I have the round cylinder ones. The sound on my GT500 is close to the sound of the same on the Mustang GT with a catless H pipe that I had on it.

When I ordered the mufflers from Borla, I ordered the part number for the Mustang GT because their catalog did not have a part number for it on the GT500. The exact muffler fits both cars exactly the same. The only muffler (without a pipe system) that Borla had on its website was for the quieter muffler. This may be why some people get the "softer" sounding muffler instead of the throatier one.

That makes sense....and that is probably what happened when the first owner bought the borla exhaust for it....I will double check tonight, but I'm pretty sure the mufflers are oval, not round....

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
SLP is the way to go! I have the Loudmouth I setup on my SRT8 Charger and when I finally get my GT500, that's the first mod I plan on doing! Check it out..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaDVtBHpJg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaDVtBHpJg[/ame]

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
hmmmm, right in Toms River, NJ - might be worth a trip down there! :coolman:

Unleash the stallion within, with a Loud Mouth™ rear-section exhaust system from SLP Performance Parts. This affordable, easy-to-install kit eliminates the factory mufflers entirely, drastically reducing backpressure for enhanced power and a mind-blowing performance sound. Nothing else even comes close!

eliminates mufflers entirely? with the reduced back pressure, its probably going to require a re-tune :read:

smrtasp

Established Member
Hows the inside drone with the loud mouths? I have the JBA 3" kit in mine and it sounds pretty good. Not really loud but the drone under 2K RPM makes my ears itch.

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
Hows the inside drone with the loud mouths? I have the JBA 3" kit in mine and it sounds pretty good. Not really loud but the drone under 2K RPM makes my ears itch.

I can't speak for the GT500 kit, but the SRT8 kit isn't bad at all.. I like to hear my engine, so I like some drone, but nothing that is going to rattle your car apart or make your ears bleed, and the Loudmouth setup does neither.. And as for customer support, SLP rocks! I cracked two mufflers within 6 months due to a defect with the welds on the first run of mufflers and SLP sent me new beefed up mufflers completely free each time..

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I went with the SLP Loudmouths, easy install, great sound! no drone either!

FYI, the Borla that the first owner installed were big oval suckers, way too quiet for my taste....so, they're going on ebay....

chuckstang

Established Member
Holy crap I am sold on the SLP Loudmouths, Could someone post a link to the correct one for our GT500s and who has them for the best price?

I may sell my SGTs for those, because that vid sounded badazzz

Users who are viewing this thread