Exhaust PRO's - (how do you quiet an already quiet system... ?)

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I have a BORLA/Steeda cat-back on my 04 COBRA. I also have a catted Bassani-X that I put on a few months ago. I know this is one of the more quieter system out there but ever since I put the X-pipe on it now has some interior drone.

1) Should I get two more cats for the X-pipe & if so, can I just order a set from Bassani... ? :shrug:

2) Can I install a resonator on each side & if so, will this do more to dampen the exhaust sound then adding another cat on each side... ? :shrug:

PLEASE HELP...

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Add 1 resonator on each side. Should help considerably without killing exhaust note

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Go to an SLP Catted X or Magnaflow True X.

Either real "X" design will have noteably less drone than the Bassani and retain a very similar tone. The Bassani drones quite a bit due to its design its more of an x-ed "h" than a real "X" design. Its kind of an in-between of an H and a X really.

Another option would be to cut off the Borla tips (if they're 4") and go to some 3.5" tips OR run Bassani tips with the baffles in them.

I would not bother with adding a resonator or more cats at this point. You still have more options to go. More cats will act as resonators; but will also add more restriction than just resonators.

IF you can find one; swapping to an FR500 style catback would be an option.

Last edited:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
How about go back to stock?

That is not an option. The X always outflows the H in the upper RPM's. Also, my car runs cooler when it exhales through the 2 metal substrate cats the Bassani came with. The factory FORD emissions pipe had of 4 very long ceramic factory cats. :nonono:

I would never even consider going back to stock. I have come way too far to go back. ;-)

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Add 1 resonator on each side. Should help considerably without killing exhaust note

Where is a good place to find these resonators. I know that the BORLA/Stinger system is basically just some tubing with 2 resonators. I like them but they are a little long.

I seem to think just 2 additional cats from Bassani might do the trick. I dont want to hack up the nice BORLA cat-back. So, I need a spot on the X-pipe to make these small additions/changes... :read:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I would not bother with adding a resonator or more cats at this point. You still have more options to go. More cats will act as resonators; but will also add more restriction than just resonators...

I don't mind adding a little more restriction with two additional cats. It's still miles ahead of the factory H. I like the fact that as soon as the hot exhaust gasses exit the manifolds, they don't go directly into a ceramic cat. I don't have much extra room to add much so I still think two additional small metal substrate cats from Bassani is the best of both way to mod the current system.

Thanks for telling me about the Bassani not being a true true X. Until now, I never knew that. :(

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
You can also go with resonated tips. They are extremely effective!! As far as the drone goes; you are going from the exhaust hitting the precats right at the manifold, and is slowwed down by the time it hits the primary cats whic are under your seat. Now you have a mandrel bent (faster flowing) mid-pipe that has oly two cats that see the full velocity of the exhaust, then goes out the cats and pulses from side to side in the x/h right underneath your seat. Adding additional cats will not solve your problem, it will decrease performance, and more than likely cause failure of your midpipe, b/c it was designed for just 2 cats. If you damage your cats the substrate can break loose or melt
and then you will more than likely overheat/bend a valve/blow a head gasket. I would give the tips a try first. Bassani's tips are thin walled 4" megaphones

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Go to an SLP Catted X or Magnaflow True X.
I have the Magnaflow catted X and Borla 14858's and I don't get drone.

I did when I had the MRT Catted-H though. That's one of the reasons why I switched it out. To make it quieter. :rolling:

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I hear ya on that Bassani X. I had your combo at one point. The drone was brutal and loudness was a little over the top for me. Don't dig yourself into a bigger hole by trying to modify it. Put it in the market. There should be good demand.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Thanks for telling me about the Bassani not being a true true X. Until now, I never knew that. :(

Well; some will argue but if you take a picture of a Magnaflow; Dr. Gas; or SLP and put it next to a Bassani you'll see what I'm talking about. The Bassani creates a resonance chamber instead of being just X-ing over.

Sleeper and OrangeWhiner just backed up the first post....try a real X and if that doesn't work swap to the Bassani baffled tips...:beer:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Thanks for all of your help fellas. It looks like maybe I can just order the X piece that I need. I will see if this helps & I sure hope it does tone down that interior drone.

10790.gif

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02xypipes.asp

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I have the Magnaflow catted X and Borla 14858's and I don't get drone.

I did when I had the MRT Catted-H though. That's one of the reasons why I switched it out. To make it quieter. :rolling:

Sounds like this is the new X-pipe I will get. Please post or send me a few picts of the Magnaflow system on your car. Is the piping done in a high quality metal (like the Bassani) & also, have you had good luck with the ceramic cats... ?

Thanks... ! :beer:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I hear ya on that Bassani X. I had your combo at one point. The drone was brutal and loudness was a little over the top for me. Don't dig yourself into a bigger hole by trying to modify it. Put it in the market. There should be good demand.

Ya, it looks like I will be selling this really clean low mileage Bassani-X real soon... Thanks for your advice too. ;-)

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Well; some will argue but if you take a picture of a Magnaflow; Dr. Gas; or SLP and put it next to a Bassani you'll see what I'm talking about. The Bassani creates a resonance chamber instead of being just X-ing over.

Sleeper and OrangeWhiner just backed up the first post....try a real X and if that doesn't work swap to the Bassani baffled tips...:beer:

Thanks for helping me get to the root of the drone. I need to see a few picts this Magnaflow-X on some TERMINATORS. Needless to say, I will be ordering it soon. :beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Sounds like this is the new X-pipe I will get. Please post or send me a few picts of the Magnaflow system on your car. Is the piping done in a high quality metal (like the Bassani) & also, have you had good luck with the ceramic cats... ?

Thanks... ! :beer:
I don't have any pics of my Magnaflow system on my car and right now I can't get any due to my torn ACL and fractured Tibia. :(

I can tell you that the piping is done in high quality metal because I have installed both Magnaflow and Bassani before. I have not had any trouble with the cats. Magnaflow makes some of the best cats you can buy. Actually, I have had a few friends have the Bassani ones fail and switch out to the Magnaflow or remove them completely.

When I am back on my feet I will try to get some more pics.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I'm running the Magnaflow catted X on my car. Some of the toughest converters around; no issue at all. I've had a couple of friends that have had their Bassani's fail/fall apart and they replaced them with Maggnaflow units...

The Magn. X is made out of 409 stainless; which is actually better for high-heat applications than 304 (409 is less crack prone). It fits the car VERY nicely and tucks up nice and neat under the car. It actually fits tighter than a friend's Bassani piece; the Magg. tucks tighter slightly off the front and the ball joints in the middle of the car level out instead of being down slightly.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I'm running the Magnaflow catted X on my car. Some of the toughest converters around; no issue at all. I've had a couple of friends that have had their Bassani's fail/fall apart and they replaced them with Maggnaflow units...

The Magn. X is made out of 409 stainless; which is actually better for high-heat applications than 304 (409 is less crack prone). It fits the car VERY nicely and tucks up nice and neat under the car. It actually fits tighter than a friend's Bassani piece; the Magg. tucks tighter slightly off the front and the ball joints in the middle of the car level out instead of being down slightly.

This Maganflow catted-X sounds like a very nice unit to replace my Bassani. Thanks for all of your help & input. It sounds like my car will look & sound better with it. If you have any pictures of it can you please send them to me. Even if it's a picture of this unit on someone elses COBRA, I would still love to see it on the car. :beer:

THANKS again for helping me clearly see that the Magnaflow is a better mid-pipe... :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread