Exhaust done wet sanding-what polish now for final step ? Mothers?

03dsgsnake

Established Member
I got done quicker than i thought i would,Need to usemy damn camera lol, Here is from beginning to end awaiting final polish... Looks like chrome already! Im pretty stoked how they came out with some hard work! Going to use mothers polish unless there is a recomendation from anyone that used different, and did you do by hand or wheel? Thanks for looking and let me know how i did!! :beer: From This:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us, To THIS!!! Next step Polish!!!:rockon:,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

4601S/C

Established Member
Man that looks awesome! I wish I coukd do this to my exhaust, but it's aluminized steel:shrug:.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
There is a metal polish in a silver can with a blue lid. I forget what it is called but it is awesome stuff. I think it has "Magic" in the name.

SADDLE

Rock Chalk
Established Member
During my polishing project I used both the Mother's Mag & Alum polish and Optimum's metal polish. I felt like I got better results from Optimum's product. I did it by hand.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
you should have used one of these electric monsters with a 10" pad and a buffing wheel bar polish. It would have cut out all that wet sanding and look like a mirror already!!

m0155_lg.jpg

Last edited:

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
i used mothers, then meguiars. I did about 3 passes each. the more you do, the better they polish up, regardless of what polish you use. word of advice, dont use a cotton applicator pad on a polishing buffer. It will get snagged up a lot and your not gonna want to finish. use a cotton buffing wheel you stick in a drill and run wide open. the faster you can make the wheel spin with out spraying stuff everywhere the better it will come out. and dont just buy one wheel. youll be down to the end and wish you would of bought another one. get like four of them if you really want to get serious. if your going to touch up the pipes in 6 months or so, get some 2000 grit and make a pass, then do the polishing process again to bring the shine back. Also, a corded drill will be better, but if you have a cordless with multiple batteries that will be good. or borrow someone else's drill and charge them back and forth.

Last edited:

03dsgsnake

Established Member
i used mothers, then meguiars. I did about 3 passes each. the more you do, the better they polish up, regardless of what polish you use. word of advice, dont use a cotton applicator pad on a polishing buffer. It will get snagged up a lot and your not gonna want to finish. use a cotton buffing wheel you stick in a drill and run wide open. the faster you can make the wheel spin with out spraying stuff everywhere the better it will come out. and dont just buy one wheel. youll be down to the end and wish you would of bought another one. get like four of them if you really want to get serious. if your going to touch up the pipes in 6 months or so, get some 2000 grit and make a pass, then do the polishing process again to bring the shine back. Also, a corded drill will be better, but if you have a cordless with multiple batteries that will be good. or borrow someone else's drill and charge them back and forth.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
a bench grinder with a cotton buffing wheel is the the best route to go for polishing. Works great in my experience. Then all you have to hold is the exhaust not hold the exhaust and also the drill haha. And they go more RPM and never run out of steam.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
What did you do the sanding with by hand? Just a block with sandpaper?

I found using my hand with the sand paper works better. with the block your not able to cover as much surface area when your sanding. If you cup your hand with the sandpaper to conform to the exhaust. that way your able to sand with more surface area at onetime. but then again, you could try the block.

Users who are viewing this thread