Exhaust ball flange bent fix?

Meerology

Established Member
Hi guys,

So I received my new exhaust but the flange/connector thing is bent. Is there a fix for it to round it again or should I return it?

IMG_6702.JPG

Thanks

scott_0

Established Member
that on an axle back looks like? shouldnt be a hard fix, use a ball peen hammer, slowly work it back round, one my Pypes long tubes arrived like that, I fixed it, has not been an issue leaking at all, been like that almost 2yrs now

Meerology

Established Member
that on an axle back looks like? shouldnt be a hard fix, use a ball peen hammer, slowly work it back round, one my Pypes long tubes arrived like that, I fixed it, has not been an issue leaking at all, been like that almost 2yrs now

Thanks. Yes the axle back. Im assuming I have to use the rounded side? Any special "technique" to use as Ive never used a ball peen hammer before.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Meerology,

I'm thinking that sending the muffler back would be pretty costly so working the flat-spot out is your best bet.

I'm no wizard at metal work but here's what I would do. Trace the 'good' joint (the other muffler!) on a piece of paper so you have a reference. Put the 'dented' muffler on a couple of bath towels to protect it as you move it around the workbench to get access to the joint. Make a little pad out of a small towel and put it under the joint. Start tapping gently but firmly (you're trying to work stainless steel which is pretty stiff compared to carbon steel) and work from the middle of the flat spot and work towards either side. Check progress after several smacks by putting the tracing over the joint. Keep tapping and checking and you should be able to get the joint back into good shape.

Another option is to bring the muffler to a machine shop and let them do the work!

HTH,

Chris

Badbob2121

ЯTR #054
Established Member
^ Doubt it would cost him anything to return them, depending on who he bought them from.

I just called the company I purchased my OR Pipe through and they sent me a return label and as soon as the pipe being returned was shipped, they sent out the replacement. It didnt cost me $1, just a another week waiting on the big brown truck.

Meerology

Established Member
I banged it a few times even though I couldnt really see a difference but I went ahead and installed it. Fit perfectly and zero leaks :dancenana:

nyuk98GT

Established Member
I banged it a few times even though I couldnt really see a difference but I went ahead and installed it. Fit perfectly and zero leaks.

Meerology:

Good stuff! Glad everything worked out. I should have mentioned using a torch (propane or MAP (hotter)) on the flat spot before trying to tap the metal back into shape. No matter, you're driving your car and enjoying the new growl.

Doubt it would cost him anything to return them, depending on who he bought them from.

Badbob2121:

OP is in Dubai so I figured he might have to wait a long time or pay (something) for the return. I do agree that the muffler supplier ought to pay for the return and for the new muffler shipping if they have any sense of good customer service.

p.s.--That's a fine looking vehicle you have there. Mine's No. 059.

Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread