Excursion or F250?

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Wasn't sure if this would go in the "Super Duty" section...:shrug:

Anyway I'm looking to pick up a diesel for my daily driver, would like to be able to tow my cobra...and probably a boat(smaller ski boat) that will come later on. At first I was looking @ just getting a F250, but I've seen more than a few deals on the diesel excursions(~80k miles '00 for 12k around the corner). I think they are both rated, towing wise, enough for what I'll be doing. Hell I could probably get away with getting an F150, but like the longevity and dependability of a diesel. Your thoughts?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well, do you want another row of seating or a truck bed? That's about the only question. Other than that difference (and some suspension changes) they are pretty much the same.

ModularFan

Established Member
they're both great tow vehicles no doubt, I think they're rated pretty equally towing wise, If I am not mistaken its like 9500 or 10500 GVW. I could be way off as well lol. all I know is they're great for towing, I have considered at one point to get one. But its not reasonable at this time.

Will this be your daily driver? how often will you be using it. In all honesty if this will be your Daily driver I think the Excursion will be to much for daily driving unless your constantly taking your family around etc. I would get a Single Cab with the 7.3L if its just for towing and Daily driving, it will cost you a pretty penny to fill either of them up.

If your using it just for towing Id definitely get an older 7.3L maybe a 96-97 would be a good fit. I just think the excursion is to much unless like I said you carry your family around alot of camp alot along with pulling your car. the 6.0's have head gasket problems if I am not mistaken and I believe they eat turbo seals like crazy. the 7.3L is the way to go. that motor is legendary.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
Get the excursion unless you just have the need for a bed.

why would he need a 8 passenger vehicle just to go back and forth to work and to tow his boat/car trailer? that doesn't make any sense unless he has a big family.

Personally Like mentioned before go with a F-250 SC, or if he wanted he could go with an F-350 with a Crew Cab. I just don't see the need for an 8 passenger gas guzzler just for towing and hauling, the F250 or F-350 SC would make more sense unless of coarse he had a family then yea Id say go with the SC or even Crew Cab.

But then again a F-150 can pull that just fine as well, you may need air bags or leaf springs but it will handle it just fine. you don't always need a diesel for towing.

Last edited:

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
My wife and I had this same discussion the other night . We were debating the pro's and cons of both . We were considering both for towing purposes and daily driving . We decided on the F-250/350 only because the bed gives us the option of a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer and that obviously wouldnt work with the Excursion .

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Well, do you want another tow of setting or a truck bed? That's about the only question. Other than that difference (and some suspension changes) they are pretty much the same.

How many tows of setting does your truck have?

txyaloo

Established Member
Took me a second to realize he meant rows of seating.

I'd go with the F250 so you have the option to pull a 5th wheel/goose neck in the future or put quads/dirt bikes in the bed.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
why would he need a 8 passenger vehicle just to go back and forth to work and to tow his boat/car trailer? that doesn't make any sense unless he has a big family.

Personally Like mentioned before go with a F-250 SC, or if he wanted he could go with an F-350 with a Crew Cab. I just don't see the need for an 8 passenger gas guzzler just for towing and hauling, the F250 or F-350 SC would make more sense unless of coarse he had a family then yea Id say go with the SC or even Crew Cab.

But then again a F-150 can pull that just fine as well, you may need air bags or leaf springs but it will handle it just fine. you don't always need a diesel for towing.

Because its pimp.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
This will be my main means of transportation, so I'd need atleast a 4 door F250. I'm 50/50 as far as bed vs seats. The extra row of seats wouldn't hurt, but having a bed wouldn't either. I guess at this point it's going to come down to price. When I get back in december I'm suppose to be going to car auctions with a friend...so hopefully I can find one or the other.

ModularFan

Established Member
This will be my main means of transportation, so I'd need atleast a 4 door F250. I'm 50/50 as far as bed vs seats. The extra row of seats wouldn't hurt, but having a bed wouldn't either. I guess at this point it's going to come down to price. When I get back in december I'm suppose to be going to car auctions with a friend...so hopefully I can find one or the other.

Then Id definitely go with an F-250 maybe even a F-350 dually.

blown94conv

Established Member
I just sold my 2005 F-350 dually, and kept the 2000 Excursion. Much better daily, better security, and since I have 2 kids, it's nice to keep the strollers and the like locked in the back of the truck. I spent most of the time haulling air with the dually anyways.

ModularFan

Established Member
I just sold my 2005 F-350 dually, and kept the 2000 Excursion. Much better daily, better security, and since I have 2 kids, it's nice to keep the strollers and the like locked in the back of the truck. I spent most of the time haulling air with the dually anyways.

It all really depends. does your 00 excursion have the 7.3 in it?

Jroc

Established Member
I like Excursions for big SUV's, but a 3/4 ton truck FTW!

ModularFan

Established Member
00 would be the 7.3. 6.0 wasn't till half way through 03 i believe.

I believe your correct, I know for sure the 00 had the 7.3 in them, just stay away from the 6.0 they love turbo seals and head gaskets. I can't tell you how many times when I was working at a ford dealership one of them came in for that. I seriously though the thing was on fire there was that much smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread