Ex-NFL Star Tillman Killed in Afghanistan

GregMatty

Established Member
I just found out about this myself.

I lost interest in the NFL over the last several years as it now resembles pro-wrestling to me. Hats off to Tillman for walking away from a 3.6 million dollar deal to serve America after September 11. Just think of the welcome he would have received if he could have returned to the game after his three year tour was up. He could have returned some class to the game.

Greg

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
I still follow the NFL and it is nice to know that there are guys who care more other things besides a contract, house, gaudy car, etc.

2814v

Established Member
He was a pro-bowl defensive back for the Arizona cardinals, gave up a huge contract to serve his country, very sad.

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
For some reason the link went down but the entire story from FNC is pasted below.

WASHINGTON — Former NFL defensive back Pat Tillman (search) died while serving as an Army Ranger in Afghanistan, U.S. military officials confirmed to Fox News on Friday.

Complete details about Tillman's death were not immediately released but Pentagon officials said he was killed inside southeast Afghanistan while taking part in a special operations action. The military said there were other fatalities but it was not clear how many.

The area has been the site of sporadic firefights in recent days and is a location where U.S. forces have been hunting remnants of Afghanistan's former Taliban regime as well as Al Qaeda fighters.

The Arizona Cardinals (search), the team Tillman played for before making his decision to join the armed forces, had no immediate comment on the reports. The team may hold a news conference later Friday.

Tillman, 27, shocked fans when he turned down a $3.6 million contract with the Cardinals to be an Army ranger.

The Arizona State University (search) graduate spent five seasons with the Cardinals, from 1998 to 2002, before joining the Army. He had a 3.9 grade point average and graduated in 3-and-a-half years.

Stationed at Fort Lewis, Wash., Tillman was deployed overseas in 2003. His brother, Kevin is also an Army Ranger serving in Afghanistan and also was a professional athlete — Kevin Tillman played baseball for the Cleveland Indians.

"Pat was the kind of guy who would rather have played football in a parking lot than in a stadium with 100,000 people watching," said Tim Layden, a senior writer for Sports Illustrated, told Fox News.

Layden said that Tillman was exceptionally loyal. Before making the decision to join the Army, he turned down a more lucrative contract with the St. Louis Rams because he wanted to continue playing for the team that gave him his NFL start — the Cardinals.

"He just viewed life through a different prism than a lot of other people do," Layden said.

StangsN4x4S

USMC
Established Member
i saw it on espn this mourning, i also thought that was cool that her turned down all the money to not make much and serve his country

5.4 speedster

Banned
I am from Arizona and everyone here is in shock. This guy got his start with the Sun Devils and never looked back. When he was in college his car was always breaking down so one day his car wouldn't start and he cut that bitch in half with a chainsaw. He rode his bike from that point forward to every practice and game. He still rode that bike to the stadium on gameday when he was with the cardinals. This guy was one of a kind and I think everyone should say a prayer for his wife and family. Pat Tillman is a true hero and patriot.:bowdown: :bowdown:

GregMatty

Established Member
Originally posted by mx_9
Wow. Had everything and wanted to give some back. I'm speechless. Like 5.4 said, a true hero and patriot.

Most people who have everything and want to give back have already retired and give back via some charity function. This guy gave back when he was still in his prime. A hero indeed.

Greg

Purerock105

Established Member
Shame.

I think MSNBC broke the news this morning that it was IRAQ,
then corrected shortly thereafter to Afganistan. Then again,
with the Rangers, if it was an attachment to Special Operations?

It could have been anywhere.

I believe he joined the Rangers with his brother as well.

:(

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
I cannot express how proud I am to live where there are people still like this in the world. I will never forget you Pat Tillman. Thank you.

Devil Dog

TOYZ, yeah I got some.
Established Member
Hmmm, not very many people gonna turn down big bux to join the Army, I know I would not do it.

It was a honorable thing to do, I just hate that he and others like him are being killed in this BS war.

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
i knew this guy first hand . i went to the same hs as him though he graduated before me. i knew his brother and send all my wishes out to his family!i couldnt believe it when i heard it.. he will definatly be missed. was a great athlete back in hs and continued carrying his pride till the day he died.RIP pat

Users who are viewing this thread