Evolution Performance, Inc. 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L Automatic Runs 11's On Street Tires!

Evolution

Established Member
Evolution Performance, Inc. - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Automatic Runs 11.91 @ 117MPH With D.O.T. Street Tires!

Since NOT everyone is going to put Race Wheels/Slicks on the car......

We wanted to see what times could be achieved on D.O.T. Street Tires, which 80% of the people buying these cars will be using. That's why we purchased Two 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V's. This one is geared more towards the Street/Strip group using 100% Street Components!

We spent a lot of time on the Automatic Transmission Calibration and it really shows in the Video.

Modification List
- CNL Cold Air Intake System
- Evolution Performance, Inc. True Custom 93 Octane Tune
- American Racing 1 7/8 Longtube Headers with 3" Collector and Catted X-Pipe
- Magnaflow Competition Series 3" Catback Exhaust System
- Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
- Steeda Ultralite Lowering Springs
- Evolution Performance, Inc. Adjustable Panhard Bar
The Rest of the Suspension is Stock!

We will be adding 15" Bogart Racing Wheels to the Front and Back of the car next week!

Read about this car in an upcoming issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Magazine!

[youtube_browser]hy2RQXtwyqw[/youtube_browser]

2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Parts and Accessories
Purchase Cold Air Intakes, Evolution Performance, Inc. Custom Tuned SCT X3's, Longtube Headers, Axle Back and Catback Exhaust Systems, Off-Road and High Flow Catted X-Pipe's, Suspension Kits, Race Wheels, and Much, Much More! Everything is In-Stock and will Ship the same day. Parts are being added to the website everyday, so keep checking back!Online Store Open 24/7 - www.evoperform.com

Driver72

Established Member
Very nice.

Bet it's more like 90% would be on street tires.
Also bet 90% won't be on 4.10 gears either though.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Also bet 90% won't be on 4.10 gears either though.

Are you talking about occasional track duty car with an auto?

I'm sure that, over the years, gears will still prove to be a popular choice of first round mods, especially with the autos. Considering that this new 4V loves to rev so much higher than we're used to, gears may become even MORE popular, if that's possible.

Great times for that short list of mods. Damn.

Driver72

Established Member
Are you talking about occasional track duty car with an auto?

I'm sure that, over the years, gears will still prove to be a popular choice of first round mods, especially with the autos. Considering that this new 4V loves to rev so much higher than we're used to, gears may become even MORE popular, if that's possible.

Great times for that short list of mods. Damn.

I mean the 4.10's on the auto.
No doubt people will put gears on the car, but bet it's more like 3.55's or 3.73's for most 2011 GT auto owners.
4.10's on a DD seems much more aggressive than 90+% of owners will do.
I'd bet there won't even be 10% of manual drivers who'll go 4.10's on these cars.

The fact of the matter is, it's probably WAY less than that yet. To those few of us enthusiasts on forums, yes we mod, but the vast majority of owners leave their cars stock or mod for looks, but no performance mods.
Even the enthusiasts among us, many only do basic mods, nothing crazy.
Poll a 100 2011 GT auto owners even on this site (when there are that many owners of 2011 auto GT's on here) and I'll bet only 4-5 at most put 4.10 gears on their cars.

mixxer

Established Member
Actually 4.10 with the tranny gearing in these cars is not aggressive all it really needs 4.30's or more. This car is basic bolt ons and fred drives it every day.

JWC

Established Member
Very well done and excellent come back on the grear question. 4.10's with the auto sounds like a plan to me.

Driver72

Established Member
Actually 4.10 with the tranny gearing in these cars is not aggressive all it really needs 4.30's or more. This car is basic bolt ons and fred drives it every day.

You are right, I should of looked up the gear ratios, I wasn't aware the auto had taller gears than the manual.
4.10's on the auto are very similiar to 3.55's on the manual.

So it seems 4.10s are a good DD axle ratio for the auto, my bad.

Driver72

Established Member
Its threads like this that make me ponder about the A6 over M6.

Turbo and stall anyone?

Don't.
Though the auto may do well in a straight line and be as fast as the manual in that regard, the auto in the 2011 GT is still ancient in it's technologies.
There is no:
Sport mode button
No rev matching down shifts
No paddle shifters
No column shifter
No launch control

It's just a plain jane automatic transmission like the ones you found in cars 20 years ago (just with more gears now and computer advancements that allow to shift faster than it used too, but I'd be willing to bet it's probably still much slower than the fastest of automatics like those in BMW's and Mercedes.

So unless your sole interest is brake torquing and then mashing the throttle as you release the brake and getting consistent acceleration times, you'll have more fun and enjoy the car to driver relationship much more in the manual. So until Ford gets with the times (actually those "times" were 3-4 years ago already and updates the automatic to have all the "goodies" autos these days (even in some sub $20k cars) have to make the auto at least closer to a manual in driving enjoyment, don't feel bad, stick with a manual.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
well if someone is wanting to build a bad ass street/strip machine, then i doubt they care about those features. in fact, the A6 seems like the perfect choice, assuming it has long term durability(it should, being a truck box!).
column shifter? seriously?!

personally, i would go M6 solely for the fact that stick shifts are so damn fun to drive!

Driver72

Established Member
well if someone is wanting to build a bad ass street/strip machine, then i doubt they care about those features. in fact, the A6 seems like the perfect choice, assuming it has long term durability(it should, being a truck box!).
column shifter? seriously?!

personally, i would go M6 solely for the fact that stick shifts are so damn fun to drive!

column shifter, as in on the floor column that basically every auto on the planet now has that allows you to move the shifter to the left or right and then switch gears up or down by pushing the lever forward or backward, well nearly every car except the 2011 MGT.

As I said though if all you are concerned about is brake torquing and then mashing the throttle as you release the brake (ie: a drag strip car) then the auto is good.

But you can get a 10 second car for lots less money by getting an old Fox Body 5.0 and building it.

I would think that for 99.5% of 2011 Mustang GT buyers, the car will be more than just to make a drag car.
And in that regard, Ford seriously short changed anybody who buys an auto from having as much fun as they can driving an automatic. There are $15k cars with paddle shifters or (floor) column shifters, there are cars that have no performance or sporting ability whatsoever that have those features with their automatics. There is no excuse for Ford not putting them on the 2011 MGT, a car whose purpose is to be a fun driving performance car, and autos can be fun to drive with those features.
Without them, driving curvy canyon roads in the auto would be nothing more than an act in frustration as the tranny hunts and pecks and switches gears when it wants to, not when you want it too.

Last edited:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
I think a stick will be hard pressed to match or surpass these times in similar conditions with the same mods. A 3000 stall converter will knock a significant chunk off of these times, probably 11.6 maybe 11.5. That is pretty incredible, for what I consider to still be a "stock condition" car. I can't wait to see what a built NA motor with cams and head work can do.

Last edited:

Driver72

Established Member
This tranny does down shift according to what rpms you are at.

Well more like what speed you are at.
If you are canyon carving and want to hold 5000 rpms in 2nd gear you are out of luck. Or say you are holding 5000 rpms then want to accelerate a bit in second, grab 3rd at 6500 rpms for two seconds on a quick straight than drop back down to 2nd and then 1st for a tight corner coming up, you are out of luck.
These are all easy things an auto can do with a sport mode function and paddle shifters.
Heck I drove a Legacy Outback Limited back in 2006 when my Legacy GT was in for service and it had an auto with floor column shifter. Even that car would hold the gears in whatever gear you selected, even bouncing off the rev limiter and still not shift until you selected the next gear.

There is just nothing engaging or fun in driving a plain jane automatic like they put on cars >15 years ago and like they put on the 2011 Mustang GT. Sure again for drag racing it may be great, but out of 100% how much of your time in an automatic 2011 Mustang GT do you think you'll be spending at the drag strip? Ford FINALLY got a 6 speed auto in their performance car, again about 4-5 years late, but to then completely ignore the advancements of automatics and give it the proper abilities it could have is inexcusable. In a performance car, if you enjoy every aspect of driving and this auto is your only alternative, there is no alternative, you get the manual.

Sorry to Evolution for contributing to taking this thread OT, the auto 2011 GT is definitely capable of going fast consistently in a straight line, but in many cars these days, often that is the case. Not too many dedicated drag cars are manuals.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Well more like what speed you are at.
If you are canyon carving and want to hold 5000 rpms in 2nd gear you are out of luck. Or say you are holding 5000 rpms then want to accelerate a bit in second, grab 3rd at 6500 rpms for two seconds on a quick straight than drop back down to 2nd and then 1st for a tight corner coming up, you are out of luck.
These are all easy things an auto can do with a sport mode function and paddle shifters.
Heck I drove a Legacy Outback Limited back in 2006 when my Legacy GT was in for service and it had an auto with floor column shifter. Even that car would hold the gears in whatever gear you selected, even bouncing off the rev limiter and still not shift until you selected the next gear.

There is just nothing engaging or fun in driving a plain jane automatic like they put on cars >15 years ago and like they put on the 2011 Mustang GT. Sure again for drag racing it may be great, but out of 100% how much of your time in an automatic 2011 Mustang GT do you think you'll be spending at the drag strip? Ford FINALLY got a 6 speed auto in their performance car, again about 4-5 years late, but to then completely ignore the advancements of automatics and give it the proper abilities it could have is inexcusable. In a performance car, if you enjoy every aspect of driving and this auto is your only alternative, there is no alternative, you get the manual.

Sorry to Evolution for contributing to taking this thread OT, the auto 2011 GT is definitely capable of going fast consistently in a straight line, but in many cars these days, often that is the case. Not too many dedicated drag cars are manuals.

please don't call them "floor column shifters." Column shifters go on the steering COLUMN. it's just a regular ol automatic with a manual gear shift if it's on the floor. there is no "column" down there.

and Ford wasn't 4-5 years late with the 6 speed, but I will admit they are about 3 years late with it.

Driver72

Established Member
I think you should do some research before making that comment. The 6R80 is a trans that Ford builds under license. Go find out who it is licensed from and what their model designation for the trans is. Then go find out what vehicles that trans is used in. Once you do that, you'll understand just how wrong what you just said was, as it's the same trans. :burnout:

Research what? The auto in the 2011 GT is a plain jane auto. It has none of the advancements (what I listed above) that cars costing 1/2 as much had a couple years ago and what even non performance cars had 4-5 years ago.

I drove the 2011 Auto Mustang GT and I've driven the automatics in BMW's and MB cars too.
The 2011 Mustang GT's shift speed felt and seemed slower. I don't think it's programmed to shift at 100-150 ms like some autos I've driven are. Felt more like 200 ms. Again still fast compared to 5-10 years ago, but not the lightening quick shifts of some autos.
Reread what I wrote, I didn't say the auto in the 2011 GT was a bad auto or a 20 year old one, or that it was mechanically different, just that it's like cars from 20 years ago, just a plain old auto. It has zero frills or electronic advancements to it.

Last edited:

Driver72

Established Member
please don't call them "floor column shifters." Column shifters go on the steering COLUMN. it's just a regular ol automatic with a manual gear shift if it's on the floor. there is no "column" down there.

and Ford wasn't 4-5 years late with the 6 speed, but I will admit they are about 3 years late with it.

The large section that runs between the two drivers seats that covers the tranny and often holds things like your drinks and storage compartments is often referred to as the center column.
Autos used to primarily be on the steering column and then began to more and more be moved to the "floor" hence the term "floor mounted shifter"
To be clear since a member mistakenly thought I was referring to the old steering column shifter when I wrote column, I clarified by saying "floor column shifter".

And yes, since 6 speed autos have been out for nearly a decade and even Hyundai has been using them for 2 years already, I'd say Ford is 4-5 years late in having their performance car have a 6 speed auto. 6 speed autos are actually on the verge of being "old" now as 7 speeds have been out for 2-3 years and even 8 speeds are now becoming more common (though in more expensive cars). Also keep in mind, Ford themselves put a 6 speed auto in the Ford Explorer back in 2006.
That my man qualifies for their performance car to have (and should have) had one 4-5 years ago.
ZF's 8 speed auto is the same weight as their 6 speed and offers more performance and better fuel economy.
Though personally I feel 8 speeds is getting a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread