Evo X challenged me to a race (auto-x)..need help

xenodragon

Established Member
So my friend with a 2011 EVO x claims his car will beat me up and down on the track (auto-x). Even with my mods and his will just have a tune.

This spring/summer we are going to go at it, so what I need to know is what are the best suspension mods to make sure I can take the twisties as well as he.

All I have right now are H&R race springs and some CC's

I will have a Go-Pro camera to capture on film. Although it might be tough to see the Evo when the camera is pointing forwards :)

Last edited:

mach1z

Established Member
Call Maximum Motorsports:). Why even bother? You can 't be better at everything. His wing will always be bigger than yours

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
He will own you.. Give him the Win now and save your bank account. Springs and CC plates aren't going to cover it.. Trust me. Not to mention even with all the suspension in the world if you have never driven a auto x he'll have expierence on you.. If your both newbs to it then that's different.. To bad you're so far away I'd let you just use my car lol..

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Your only as good as your brakes and tires. I would take it to the track and see how you run.

xenodragon

Established Member
I really dont think that is the case...from the track times I have seen online its not that much faster and in some cases slower.

zeusha

Established Member
The Cobra is no punk on the track. BUT it does seem to swing out alot Ass wise, I think that with REALLY good tires, panhard bar, upper and lower Control arms and easing the throttle out of turns you should come away with a respectable race. HE DOES NOT OWN THE STRAIGHT though but will be hard to match the speed he takes turns at but I THINK your power comes on much more abruptly so just come out of turns easing it in then bat out of hell. Hope this helps maybe just a lil. But is not going to be easy.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Will be a tough race. Those cars drive them selves in the twisties a buddy of mine has one and had no auto x experience and posted impressive times on the small course we have here locally. If its a bigger course you should pick up a fair amount of time on straights but like other have said. A good set of brakes and tires are Key. Any other suspension work you can get done would be a bonus.

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
I have raced autox in my 370z. Best times I have seen posted have the stickiest tires with good brakes. Dump as much weight as possible. Kw variant 3s on all four corners. when it comes to tires the widest isn't the best. Adjust cast and camber for cornering.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Ok I understand...can you guys just humor me and suggest some suspension mods? lol

Sticky tires, better brake pads, better brake fluid, aggressive alignment. Go from there. The tighter the track the worse it'll be for you. If you really want to get into some suspension mods then I'd do..

FTBR bushing kit for the rear
Coil-overs all around
aggressive alignment
Those mods alone will change the way the car handles. For steering I'd do

Solid steering rack bushings
Solid steering shaft from MM

mach1033

Established Member
Here is what I did to my car. MM coilovers front and back. MM k member, MM A arms with delrin bushings, CC plates, front/rear bumpsteer, Kenny Brown subs, MM strut tower brace and the complete full tilt boogie irs kit. The struts and shocks are bilsteins and the spring rate is a street friendly 350/500. My car handles like no other car that I have been in. I also bought the six piston brake kit from wilwood. I went chasing a lambo and my weakest link was my stock brakes. Stopping from triple digit speeds took a toll on them.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So my friend with a 2011 EVO x claims his car will beat me up and down on the track (auto-x). Even with my mods and his will just have a tune.

This spring/summer we are going to go at it, so what I need to know is what are the best suspension mods to make sure I can take the twisties as well as he.

All I have right now are H&R race springs and some CC's

I will have a Go-Pro camera to capture on film. Although it might be tough to see the Evo when the camera is pointing forwards :)

You SERIOUSLY messed up accepting an autocross challenge with an 11 EVO X.:dw::nonono:

1. I am guessing you have never done an autocross.
2. I am also guessing you have never done an open track/HPDE event either, or you would have immediately switched the bait and the venue to that.
3. Unless you have already been autocrossing for years, you could spend 10 grand on your Terminator suspension and tires and still lose to that EVO even if the guy only has two autocross events under his belt.

It's simple physics.

You are kidding yourself if you spend dime one on this car without first going and doing either an autocross or a track event.... JUST THE WAY THE CAR SITS RIGHT NOW!

Check out the video link in my sig, that's an open track event!
An autocross is typically in a parking lot (sometimes with crumbling pavement), driving in between a bunch of cones and max speeds of about 70.

Small, light, and nibble is what rules the day.
Add power and traction to "small light and nimble" and you have a -> 2011 AWD EVO X.

A Terminator is going to look like a pick up truck at a drifting competition by comparison.

Arrange for a change of venue immediately or prepare to get creamed "just for the fun of it".

shb5007

Established Member
You are screwed, so screwed...

Your only hope, and I mean only is that;

1.) He is a horrible driver.
2.) His car breaks.
3.) You find a national style Autocross event (large track on a nice surface).

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I think he will beat ya auto xing. However with that being said as long as you didn't wager anything there is no big deal it's all on fun. Tell him you will only accept if he agrees to hit the drag strip up with you one day.

zeusha

Established Member
You are screwed, so screwed...

Your only hope, and I mean only is that;

1.) He is a horrible driver.
2.) His car breaks.
3.) You find a national style Autocross event (large track on a nice surface).

lol :lol: I was thinking it but you said it. This is a tough win

xenodragon

Established Member
A. This is for fun only
B. I should probably re-phrase, maybe I didnt understand the difference between auto-x and a track. We are trying to go to brainerd international raceway. So it wont be a race in some broken down parking lot.
C. I have seen auto-x before (i guess not realizing that what it was) and the car that turned the best time was a c5z06. Other runners were audi r8 and 2010 GTR. So I am skeptical that the evo would be so so much better as everyone is stating. Maybe the r8 and GTR were just terrible terrible drivers, because I would think those would be similar to an EVO and the c5z06 would be similar to my car.

Users who are viewing this thread