EVO 8 running 12.30's at 110

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
My friend with an Evo 8 just got back from the 1/4 mile today. He has an aftermarket turbo, full exhaust, clutch, HKS cams, aftermarket processor, and a few other odds and ends. He ran a 12.37 @ 110 with a 1.73 60 ft on stock tires. It ran a 7.92 at the 1/8 mark at 88. I couldnt take the Cobra....traction issues :bash: Damn F1's But I'm getting Nitto DR's soon, so that may help a little.

Just thought I'd post to show some respect to the 4 banger crowd! It takes some cash, but those things can scream with the right setups. :beer: ( He's a former Stang owner )

99cobraclone

Established Member
Aren't those cars more money out the door then our cars? Theres no way they can touch a modded cobra for the same money, they are ok cars though. I prefer the STI myself though.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
They're a little less then a cobra I think. But your right, who knows how much he spent on all that stuff when a pulley and chip in a cobra along with good tires will put you in 11's. Evo's are just ugly IMO. Even the SRT-4's look better and definately the STI's.

Anything can go fast with money.

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
He bought his new for $28K and has about $6K in mods. So...around $34K. I like it...The Recaro seats are nice and it pulls hard off the line...I mean 1.70's on factory tires? We were suppose to run them on the interstate last night, I was waiting on his call....never happened. I think he's scared:cryying: I have driven his car many times and love the handling...Like a freaking go cart! I'm just waiting to smoke his ass from a roll.:burnout:

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
34K for a 12 sec evo.. I would never..
you can get a used C5 under 30K miles (23-25K), forge bottom end(4-5K) and a supercharger (4-5K)for close to the same price..

or a pullied cobra..

What makes you choose an evo?????????????????

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by BayouVette
[What makes you choose an evo????????????????? [/B]

He has other cars, but this is his "beater" He uses it in the rain/snow, and everyday driving to and from work. Plus its a 4 door sedan that can haul the kids around if need be. I dont think a SC vette would do as good as an ALL-Wheel drive with Blizzaks on it for the snow! LOL.:rockon: Nothing wrong with making your daily driver faster just to piss off some stock Camaro's and Mustangs!:cryying:

nsxmatt

Established Member
you can get a used C5 under 30K miles (23-25K), forge bottom end(4-5K) and a supercharger (4-5K)for close to the same price..

or a pullied cobra..

Personal choice? Otherwise they would make just one car that everyone would have to buy. How original is that?

I don't think the post was made to say the EVO is a better value than the Cobra, or C5, or whatever.. He just wanted to post the times the EVO put down that was pretty impressive.

jeffsvt

Established Member
One thing I love about car lovers is diversity . Not everyone has the same tastes .

There was an EVO at one of my local 1/8 mile tracks running a couple of weeks ago he was going 8.0@86mph with paper tags still on the damn thing . I was impressed !

Ultor

Pie luver ;)
Established Member
One of RnR's customers supposedly just ran 10.6@123 in the 1/4

It's the first 10 second Evo8 here in the US with more to come ;)

*They haven't showed a time slip yet*

A418t81

No offense, but your friend got ripped the hell off if he really has all those mods and only went 110 mph.

Evo's with $1000 in mods run those kinds of trap speeds or faster. The typical BPU mods include a 3" turbo back exhaust, boost controller, and a reflash of some sort. Typical results from these mods is about 300 whp/wtq on pump gas and ~330-340 whp on race. On pump, I've seen Evo's with the setup above trap 108-110 mph and run low 12s. On race, of course, even faster. Keep in mind this is with $1k or less in mods.

Here's a link to a guy with about $2200 in mods on race fuel (still stock turbo, intercooler, head, bottom end, etc) who ran a 12.2 @ 118.7 mph:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71294

Show me an STi or STR-4 that can trap 119 mph on the stock turbo.

Oh yeah, a lot of Evos run 12's right out of the box.

Last edited:

91tbird

Established Member

or a pullied cobra..

AWD, the handling and slalom ability of those things are sickening. Sticky tires on one could be lethal =P not to mention your commenting 34k for a 12 second car, when most of the people on here paid 35k+ for a 12 second mustang =P.

Last edited:

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
There have been 3 Stock evo8's at the track here. Quickest one ran 8.80's most runs were in the 9.0's range. Guess they are all crappy drivers ! LOL. I mean I like Evo's, but there not running 8.0's bone stock, come on! Need to put down the crack pipe before watching the races ! If they were running 8.0's they had a few bolt on's.:idea:

Ultor

Pie luver ;)
Established Member
Guess they are all crappy drivers

Well.. yes actually. I ran 8.54 my second run ever in an awd car, bone stock. And you are right about them not running 8.0s in stock form. I have done exhaust, boost controller, and some tuning and I am looking for 7.90s on my next outing, but I haven't taken it out yet, so I can't say shit =P But I can guarantee imma run a HELLUVA lot better than 8.5s :D

Only problem is, I'm at 15K miles and although I myself haven't had any clutch problems, I don't want to risk it untill I can afford a good clutch. (Unlike my mustangs, a long lasting strong holding clutch is over 1K for the Evo:cuss: ) So I think i'm gonna be racing the GF's lightning untill she takes it away from me =(

Mods:$750 Turbo Back exhaust, $175 for the Hallman Manual boost controller, and $325 for the S-AFCII piggy back air/fuel computer.

:beer:

Last edited:

IE Evo

Established Member
Agree that no turbo upgrade needed for low 12s on the Evo. Several stock turbo Evos on the road running low 12s and a couple in the 11s with a good clutch. If I could drive i would be one(low-mid 12) but after running 12.9 on my 1st drag run at 108 into a headwind the awd traction deserted me on my last 3 runs netting me 2.3,2.4,2.6 60 ft times. I suck as my 60s can attest but I don't practice launching and had no Idea that all four wheels could spin at 3-4rpm launch. Next time out my goal is 12.5 w/o abusing the drivetrain. That 2.6 I almost hit the wall on the launch.

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
One question:

Every time someone posts something about another car other than a mustang, the big "Why did he waste his money on that, with the same money I could of bought this with that and smoke him". Why?? Not everyone has the same taste and I really think those remarks are getting really old.

Not everyone adores the cobra. Just imagine if everyone had one. It wouldnt be as special to see one at every redlight.

People have to different tastes and to criticize them for it, I think, shows a lack of maturity.

Established Member
Originally posted by The Orphaner
My friend with an Evo 8 just got back from the 1/4 mile today. He has an aftermarket turbo, full exhaust, clutch, HKS cams, aftermarket processor, and a few other odds and ends. He ran a 12.37 @ 110 with a 1.73 60 ft on stock tires. It ran a 7.92 at the 1/8 mark at 88. I couldnt take the Cobra....traction issues :bash: Damn F1's But I'm getting Nitto DR's soon, so that may help a little.

Just thought I'd post to show some respect to the 4 banger crowd! It takes some cash, but those things can scream with the right setups. :beer: ( He's a former Stang owner )

If he only ran 110mph on an aftermarket turbo, he's got a screwed up tune or a clutch that is disentegrating fast. My evo 8 on the stock turbo ran 12.6 @ 114mph with a blown front differential.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sahmto3/evo/

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Re: Re: EVO 8 running 12.30's at 110

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
If he only ran 110mph on an aftermarket turbo, he's got a screwed up tune or a clutch that is disentegrating fast. My evo 8 on the stock turbo ran 12.6 @ 114mph with a blown front differential.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sahmto3/evo/

Seriously, except for the clutch part....My 91 GSX (4g63 powered) ran 12.7s at 112 all day with stock internals and a 2.0 60ft (make it last). Poor tune or can't drive :nonono:

Last edited:

jeffsvt

Established Member
Originally posted by The Orphaner
There have been 3 Stock evo8's at the track here. Quickest one ran 8.80's most runs were in the 9.0's range. Guess they are all crappy drivers ! LOL. I mean I like Evo's, but there not running 8.0's bone stock, come on! Need to put down the crack pipe before watching the races ! If they were running 8.0's they had a few bolt on's.:idea:

Yes he did have a few boltons and I don't smoke crack :rollseyes: . He said he use to have a WRX that he traded in on it and put a few goodies from it on it . My point was what it was running not what he has and it still had the paper tags .

Last edited:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
i have to agree with finsh!t
come on cobra/mustang owners.... i love my cobra and its the car for me, but sti's and evos are awesome cars... handle too nice, and are damn fast cars.
almost bought an sti.
hey poopnut 2
do you really think the srt 4 is nicer looking than an sti... sti's look awesome. IMO all they need is to remove the wing.. then its a wicked looking car. the srt4 looks like a regular family POS that has a stupid lookin' wing on the back.
have to agree though that your friend should be getting nothing less than 11 sec. time slips with the mod list you mentioned.

03DOHC

Established Member
With enough money anything can be made quick. More power to you if you like those things but to me it's still a blender with tires.

Users who are viewing this thread