Ever "stang" through the Rockies?

taintedme

Established Member
Planning on a driving adventure in Colorado next month through the Colorado Rockies, visiting Steamboat, Lake Granby, Red Rocks, Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Forest, etc. I'll be staying at campgrounds, cabins, etc along the way. Any tips? Places I HAVE to see? Places to avoid in a lowered stang? I'm pretty stoked, to say the least.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I live here, so yeah.

Really the mountain areas you're planning on going are all excellent and accessible by quality roads. Please do go spend some time (and money) in the Estes Park region. They desperately need it after the flood we had last September.

I haven't been up the Thompson canon this year yet to see how the road conditions are however. You'll likely run in to construction but I haven't heard it's terrible.

Other notable spots to visit or drive are the Poudre canyon and the roads west of Horsetooth reservoir in Ft. Collins. Just head towards and past Masonville.

If you wanted to, you could even do trail-ridge road. I'd recommend Fall River road as well, but a lowered mustang wouldn't make it as part of it is rutted dirt.

taintedme

Established Member
Thanks for the tips! Funny, I was just booking a campground in Estes Park. Bringing my black lab with me, so it's taking some research to find pet-friendly campgrounds and hiking trails.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Colorado as a whole is pretty pet-friendly. It's good to see you doing the research though!

There's some EXCELLENT camping in and around Estes Park. The really good stuff you need a 4x4 to get to, or you can also hike it. Pretty much anything in Rocky Mountain National Park is going to be dog friendly. Just pack out what you pack in.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Nope but I have rented a Fusion last year and driven through them. Completely different from Florida. 1.6 ftw

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
drove through Colorado, Wyoming, north Dakota, Idaho, etc etc in a lowered 04 gt with 4.30s..

was a blasty blast

The Abyss

Established Member
If you're going through check out Pike's Peak! I went last year in my Mach and had a blast. Make sure you show up early though because it's a long wait if you don't.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I forgot about this little cheesy video I put together. This is the route west of Horsetooth I was mentioning.

[youtube_browser]InNsIQ9ExPM[/youtube_browser]

Rotzs99

Established Member
I'd camp in RMNP. Did it a couple weeks ago and just slept under the stars. We were told the dog policy was that they had to be on leash with you on the other end of the leash. You can't just tie them up and leave them. I'm sure if you're in your tent there would be no problem. Estes Park brewery is pretty nice and a good place to spend some money. All of western Colorado is beautiful so you'll enjoy yourself. Seems like you'll be mostly in northern CO. You might want to take a rafting trip down the Poudre. I had a fun time doing that.

You can obviously get around using the main highways but if you want to enjoy cruising take the back roads. Too many cops and craploads of bicyclists on the main/populated roads.

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Planning on a driving adventure in Colorado next month through the Colorado Rockies, visiting Steamboat, Lake Granby, Red Rocks, Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Forest, etc. I'll be staying at campgrounds, cabins, etc along the way. Any tips? Places I HAVE to see? Places to avoid in a lowered stang? I'm pretty stoked, to say the least.

Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff, and also ensure your fuel pump is ok.
We took my 88 5.0 to Whitefish, Montana via the Going-to-the-Sun Road in August.
We had a full car (4 passengers), with camping gear and I made it to the Logan Pass before stalling out.
No matter what I tried I couldn't get the car to start again.

I replaced the fuel pump relay, and upgraded to a 190 lph fuel pump.
Never happened again.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Is your car turboed? If not you will wish it was. The altitude will cut your engines power by more than 20%. It will be fun though. I have done both the RMNP and the top of the Rockies expressway. Both were pretty neat.

Last weekend I did the Chief Joseph by way and Beartooth pass in Northern Wyoming into Montana. I would do that before I did RMNP or top of the rockies again.

There is one down in southern Colorado near Duragno that is amazing as well.

Edit: Also check out Black Hawk while you are at it. it is like Mini Vegas in the Mountains!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How many days? With the type of trip you're planning, it's too bad you couldn't rent a 4X4 SUV. It would open up the possibilities for you. Whatever you do, have a great and memorable trip. I've been to Colorado twice. Gorgeous country for sure. :)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff, and also ensure your fuel pump is ok.
We took my 88 5.0 to Whitefish, Montana via the Going-to-the-Sun Road in August.
We had a full car (4 passengers), with camping gear and I made it to the Logan Pass before stalling out.
No matter what I tried I couldn't get the car to start again.

I replaced the fuel pump relay, and upgraded to a 190 lph fuel pump.
Never happened again.

More than likely you simply had a failing pump or relay to begin with. Colorado is significantly higher in altitude with less oxygen. You need less fuel up here, not more.

The high mountain peaks with steep grades and continued high rpm use can tax a cooling system. HOwever based on his signature I gather he's running around in a pretty new Mustang. He'll be fine.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
More than likely you simply had a failing pump or relay to begin with. Colorado is significantly higher in altitude with less oxygen. You need less fuel up here, not more.

The high mountain peaks with steep grades and continued high rpm use can tax a cooling system. HOwever based on his signature I gather he's running around in a pretty new Mustang. He'll be fine.

Oh, I'm sure of that.
The car was fine at normal altitudes (3,500+ feet), but once it reached the higher altitudes (6,600+ feet) it failed.
As soon as we reached Whitefish it was fine again.

Users who are viewing this thread