Ever have an issue downshifting from 4 to 3?

frank3si

Established Member
Every once in a while when I am downshifting from 4 to 3, it's almost like I run into a wall with the (stock) shifter. I have to do a little hunt or wiggle to get into 3. It is definitely a sporadic problem. My selling dealership (hi Darin!) did a pretty exhaustive look at the tranny health and came up with nothing. I'm wondering if a switch to a Steeda might cure this once and for all - anybody else had this problem?

Cheers -

Frank

hj16

Established Member
When I first got the car it was difficult, but after about 2000~miles I've got it down.

BLK_03

Established Member
I've had that problem, even after switching to the Tri-Ax. Even upshifting fast from 2nd to 3rd can be tricky with the Tri-Ax. I sometimes hit a brick wall with that one too.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
When I first got the car it was difficult, but after about 2000~miles I've got it down.

Same here took some getting used to... Carefull at first but now with 2300 miles I can stick most all shifts fast and sure. Im happy with the stock shifter, used to have a 92gt with a t5 and the tremec is a much better box:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by BLK_03
I've had that problem, even after switching to the Tri-Ax. Even upshifting fast from 2nd to 3rd can be tricky with the Tri-Ax. I sometimes hit a brick wall with that one too.
Yep, me too. Our tranny is one of worse I've ever used in my 35 years of driving. :(

pgordon

Established Member
yes this is the most difficult shift for me. I have triax which really helps so get it 90% of the time.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I had a steeda tri-ax that did that, I swapped it with a pro 5.0 and it is soooooo smooth now. The clutch cable, firewall adjuster and new quadrant helped too...

frank3si

Established Member
Hmmmm... Interesting. I have no doubt a Steeda Tri-Ax will improve the 2-3 (I installed one in my 2000 GT), but I haven't really had any problems with upshifting. It's only the 4-3 where it just feels like it smacks against something until I play with it. And again, it's not every time :shrug: just once in a while. But when it happens, it's really like hitting a wall. :(

Frank

CarpetTownCobra

Established Member
I always blip the throttle when going from 4-3. It's technically not a doubleclutch, but it sure makes the gears mesh more smoothly and then you're up there in the right rev range when you release the clutch.

I absolutely embarassed a ricer yesterday on 240 using this very technique. He got about a 1/4 mile run at me and tried to do a ricer flyby, but I waited until his open window was right at my tailpipes until I declutched, blip, then on it hard in 3rd to turn him into a speck. Byebye! Priceless.

2004svtcobra

Established Member
Way to go CarpetTown. Those ricers are all the same with their queer flyby stunts. They're always giggling like a bunch of hooligans and waving their arms when they go by. Losers.... hahahaha

bossvt

Established Member
I struggled with that shift until I installed the MGW handle. When I put in the handle, I went with the least amount of rubber bushings in the handle. This greatly increased the feel for the location of the gears.

Once you've looked under the shifter boot and see all the rubber material on the stock shifter handle, you'll understand why people have trouble with the stock handle.

frank3si

Established Member
bossvt, that's not the problem - I've got the MGW handle :) But you are right - stock is awfully mushy!

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread