Ever get to meet someone you revered?

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
As a lifelong golf fanatic, I always wanted to tee it up with someone who'd been there, at the highest level. The past few days I got to do just that.

The guy was a stud in the late 70's, early 80's. Won a few times on tour during his 22 years there.

He still has plenty of game, even at age 65. On a tough course in rotten weather he knocked it around in 70 while missing several putts. He made it look boring while kicking our asses.

As fun as it was to watch him play, his stories were even better. He played, and beat (at times) all the legends including Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Miller, Trevino, Ballesteros, etc. Still buddies with many of them and I can see why - nicest guy I'd ever imagine. He seems completely unaffected by his experiences.

For me, this was a bucket-list sorta deal and was everything I'd hoped it would be. I realize golf isn't well thought of on this site but I hope everyone here has the chance to realize an experience such as this relevant to their interests.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Unfortunately, no. My idols are gone now. Mickey Thompson & Carroll Shelby are my idols. Two guys that came from blue collar backgrounds and changed the motorsport world. But, I l swing a driver every now & then, so I can understand how you felt.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
On a personal note I have met Kobe Bryant. What he told me I will never forget, "Don't work hard, average people work hard. Be passionate about what you do. Make it your life, live sleep, and eat what ever you love. That's how you become great. Don't ever listen to the haters, the fact that they are there chirping away means you are doing something right, get more haters."

I also have met many service men and women. They are my heros

oldmodman

Established Member
I was able to visit with both Colonel and Senator John Glenn and General Chuck Yeager.
And I just got to shake hands with Neil Armstrong, but it was in a receiving line and wasn't able to talk to him.

True American Heroes.

Planter

Banned
I don't know if I ever "revered" him, but I met Trent Green (former Chiefs and Rams QB) several times.

The first time was in 2001 at the Chiefs spring public event at Arrowhead. I was down by the railing close the bench and standing away from everyone smoking a cigarette (since it wasn't a full house you could get away with it at the time). Anyways Trent walked over to me and said "How old are you?" I said 20. he said why throw your life away smoking? Told him it was a bad habit. He encouraged me to quit. I met him again in 04 or 05. My uncle who is a developer in Overland Park, KS, built his house (well, his construction crews did), and he recognized me and asked if I had quit smoking, I said nope, not yet.

I finally did kick the habit this past November though. Been smoke free since Nov 12th, 2012!

I've also met all of the members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They're all friends on my facebook. Met Herman Cain in 2012. Met Derrick Thomas, Elvis Grbac, Kimble Anders, Rod Smith.

01stallion

ford guy
Established Member
As a lifelong golf fanatic, I always wanted to tee it up with someone who'd been there, at the highest level. The past few days I got to do just that.

The guy was a stud in the late 70's, early 80's. Won a few times on tour during his 22 years there.

He still has plenty of game, even at age 65. On a tough course in rotten weather he knocked it around in 70 while missing several putts. He made it look boring while kicking our asses.

As fun as it was to watch him play, his stories were even better. He played, and beat (at times) all the legends including Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Miller, Trevino, Ballesteros, etc. Still buddies with many of them and I can see why - nicest guy I'd ever imagine. He seems completely unaffected by his experiences.

For me, this was a bucket-list sorta deal and was everything I'd hoped it would be. I realize golf isn't well thought of on this site but I hope everyone here has the chance to realize an experience such as this relevant to their interests.

Well what was his name, i need to get back to playing golf

ViciousJay

Established Member
Got to meet Christopher Reeve (before he got hurt) when i was a kid, one of the coolest moments i can remember from my child hood

Yellow Fever

Established Member
I've been able to meet Bubba Watson a couple times at local golfing events before he was such a big name. He's one of the few notable figures to come out of my area. I know Doug Baldwin (Seattle) and Trent Richardson (Cleveland) as well. Very nice guys.

vortecd

Established Member
Growing up with Star Wars in the 70's-80's it was pretty cool to meet Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) at a toy show 30 minutes from where I live in 2006. I met him a few more times in Detroit a few years later. My plate on my '01 Bullitt was FETT and I had him sign it. He was very humbled and honored by it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have met plenty of prety famous people. None that I would classifiy as anybody I "revered" certainly admired at the time. still do some of them. the only person i could say I "revere" is my Father, who has done more, seen more, experience more than I could ever imagine.

vortecd

Established Member
I have been lucky over the year to meet many people I revere.

Nascar: Carl Edwards
Drag racing: Darrell Alderman (was at my work in the early 90's)
Hockey: Pavel Datsyuk
Star War: Jeremy Bulloch

I have met many other people but those are some of the most wanted to meet. One that I still have not been able to meet is Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

Last edited:

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
OP fail for forgetting to post who...

My guess...Hubert Green or Ray Floyd?

B1Green0717.jpg

AP820808032_t620.jpg

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I don't know why but I've never looked up to people I don't personally know. My dad was always my inspiration. He just loved work, great values and enjoyed the outdoors like no other.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread