Ever been busted for running a o/r pipe?

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
Just wondering if anybody here or somebody you know has been pulled over for having no cats and if so, what were your consequences ? I know it's a BIG hefty fine and they need a ''sniff machine'' to prove it. Is it really worth that hefty fine just to have a loud car? just wondering.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I never got busted here in WV because we don't have the sniffer testers just visual inspections. On my 1990 GT I have the MAC Pro Chamber O/R H-pipe. So one year a few years back they decided, since one of the state inspectors was there kinda overseeing their operations, to put my car on the rack.

Quick run down. When I put my Pro Chamber on I ran a high temperature hose from the tube on the Pro Chamber up to the EGR like factory.

So once the car is in the air and they are checking it out the inspector walks over. They check brake pads, tires, front end and all the normal stuff. When they look at the exhaust he sees the Pro Chamber and its hook up and says, "That has to be one of the biggest catalytic converters I have ever seen." He asked if it flowed a lot better? I said yes it was supposed to. He said as big as it was it sure must. He told them he could see nothing wrong and to issue me an inspection sticker. A couple of days later my tech friend stopped by and told me I was lucky I hooked it up to look factory because that was probably the only thing that had saved me from getting rejected and me having to put my factory cats back on and possibly a fine.

Common

Established Member
Just wondering if anybody here or somebody you know has been pulled over for having no cats and if so, what were your consequences ? I know it's a BIG hefty fine and they need a ''sniff machine'' to prove it. Is it really worth that hefty fine just to have a loud car? just wondering.

Don't know where in Jersey you live but stay away from Bergen County, they are ****ing cracking down hard on that. There are inspection truck sopt setup in the most random places.

It's illegal in our state btw. Totally not worth it and the car smells pretty bad without them anyway. Just get some high flow cats if you want it louder....

NA97GT

Established Member
I got pulled over once and the cop asked me to rev my engine, once I did he said its "too loud". He then gave me a ticket for unnecessary vehicle noise and I had to go to court and pay a fine, not a fix it type of thing. When I do emissions they just plug in the obd scanner and spin it, last time the tech complimented my car and said 'too bad it doesn't have an exhaust system" as he handed me the approval slip lol.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No emissions, and never been pulled for exhaust.... I've ran cat-less exhausts on all of my cars, never been bothered.

I'm running an O/R H pipe to MAC dumps on my car right now, but it's not very loud at all, which I think helps me out a lot since it looks like there isn't any exhaust on the car from behind.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
Don't know where in Jersey you live but stay away from Bergen County, they are ****ing cracking down hard on that. There are inspection truck sopt setup in the most random places.

It's illegal in our state btw. Totally not worth it and the car smells pretty bad without them anyway. Just get some high flow cats if you want it louder....

damn man. i live in middlesex county. since when did they start cracking down hard on this? i stay away from that county most of the time. but im sure it'll eventually lead up to where i live.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
once when i had my ram i was pulled over for it being to loud by a statie. it had a 40 series and duals. funny thing though, my e-cutout was closed when he pulled me over. he issued me a written warning and as he was heading back to his cruiser i opened the cutout and started it......he did a double take......i lol'd

but i've never been bothered with either of my stangs. and i've been running the o/r x with bassanis on the mach. i just swap the pipes back when its inspection time

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
No inspections here on the DelMarVa side of Maryland. Around here the farmer's sons run around in old pick-up trucks with straight pipes, stupid loud.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
hahahahahaha lol!

that means jack shit, removal of factory smog equipment is a FEDERAL OFFENSE!

:fart:

Pypes O/R X-pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks here. My EGR is disabled too. I need to get the delete kit :dancenana:

Never had trouble at all. It just sounds nice cruising, but at WOT, that's when it really barks.

Last edited:

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I was actually pulled over like 2 weeks ago on my way home from Corpus. Cop asked me what kind of exhaust I had and told me it sounded 'very loud'. Told him I had the stingers and that they were 50 state legal. Then he asked if I had the correct emissions equipment and told him I had cats and they were hi-flows, and 50 state legal. So he got under the car and looked.

I've got a catted X with gutted cats and so looks like they bailed me out. Sure he coulda put 2 and 2 together to figure they were gutted but for just a spot check it looked fine. Crazy thing is that I've been wanting to replace them because I think one of them has a leak. Looks like they'll be staying on!

Common

Established Member
damn man. i live in middlesex county. since when did they start cracking down hard on this? i stay away from that county most of the time. but im sure it'll eventually lead up to where i live.

We have Bergen County Policy and Bergen County Sheriff so all the County does is focus on traffic violations and inspections. They have been killing people with anything they can possibly write you up for. No mercy, county cops here will give their mothers a ticket if they stopped them.

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
We have Bergen County Policy and Bergen County Sheriff so all the County does is focus on traffic violations and inspections. They have been killing people with anything they can possibly write you up for. No mercy, county cops here will give their mothers a ticket if they stopped them.

BERGEN!! ewww
I work in Newark.. at the ports.

Cops here are too busy for little annoyances like catless stangs!

Common

Established Member
BERGEN!! ewww
I work in Newark.. at the ports.

Cops here are too busy for little annoyances like catless stangs!

Newark isn't in Bergen County. Not even close.

What doy uo mean Ewww?...it's one ot the richest counties around....

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Your states blow...

I'm sooooooo glad we don't have any sort of inspection shit here...

It sounds like you guys live in Nazi Germany

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Got one in MD here. They just wrote me a fix it ticket. Following week I swapped the catted pipe on and had it inspected. Went home and swapped it back out LOL. Not sure where you are from in NJ but Hightstown, East Windsor, Plainsboro and West Windsor love dishing out these kind of tickets.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
I live in burlington county and they dont hurass us for that at all down here. They could care less as far as i know.
I havent DDed my car, but have never been pulled over for it. My friend who had a full exhausted ram never did..
CIOTTI doesnt and his car.. well its loud.. Just if u see a cop dont drive like an ass.. Most cops around here will compliment you..

For inspection i throw on my highflow cats, and even then sometimes its hard to time it right with the drive and not getting the CEL to come on yet have the computer run through all its processes..

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Not specifically an "O/R Pipe" ticket but I did get one for "Modified Muffler" on my 06 GT. I was running An O/R X and basically straight pipes for mufflers.

This was in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I was questioned, but the cop didn't know about cars at all. He said my mufflers were too loud. I admitted that they were rusted out, and that I actually had ordered some. He understood- I was heading to the track that night.

He asked me, word for word, "How come your front tires are so bald? Been burning out too much?"

And I smiled and said "With all due respect, officer, Mustang's are rear wheel drive". He laughed, admitted he didn't know about cars, told me to fix my mufflers, and said good luck at the track.

That's the only time I've been stopped for loud exhaust though.

Users who are viewing this thread