Evenflow cooling mod install question

froggerlives07

Established Member
Well im about to start installing the Gen II cooling mod and just had a noob question when the instructions say to drain the cooling system by removing the petcock from the radiator, located on the passenger side at the bottom of the radiator is it talking about the one that looks like it takes a phillips screwdriver?

Last edited:

froggerlives07

Established Member
Well almost done with the install...sorry for no pics! Yeah i know I fail...all I got to do is loosen EGR tube, take out freeze plug, take out restricter from heater hose...I already got everything out the way cut radiator hose moved out everything from the driver's side...I guess I didnt have sufficient tools.lol..Gotta go get the 1 1/16 wrench and longer pliers and bigger flat tip screw driver!:banana:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Make sure you hit the freeze plug around the 9:00 position wnen standing on the drivers side fender, you`ll thank me later. I didn`t do the heater hose thing myself.
EDIT: Watch where the big wire harness lays in relation to the EGR tube also, don`t want to have it touching.

Last edited:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
+1 I don't remember removing anything from the heater hose as well. Drained the coolant, popped freeze plug, cut radiator hose... done.

Refill of course.;-)

froggerlives07

Established Member
+1 I don't remember removing anything from the heater hose as well. Drained the coolant, popped freeze plug, cut radiator hose... done.

Refill of course.;-)

Well looks like I wont be taking the restictor out...fine with me.lol!

Make sure you hit the freeze plug around the 9:00 position wnen standing on the drivers side fender, you`ll thank me later. I didn`t do the heater hose thing myself.
EDIT: Watch where the big wire harness lays in relation to the EGR tube also, don`t want to have it touching.

And im sure ill thank you later as well.lol. And thanks for the advice. Will report back when done!

froggerlives07

Established Member
Well I finally got that freeze plug out wasnt TOO bad. That wiring harness was a PITA!!! to move around. Was able to put the fittings and everything but when trying to screw the little screw to the plate it got lost! Anyone know where i can get another? Thats pretty much the last part of the install I got to do besides putting everything back in place! What type of coolant should I use to but back in?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Whatever type was in it before. Make sure you burb it well. Hardware store, but I don`t remember the size of the bolt.

03mgtermi

Established Member
i took mine out and haven't had any problems. no change in the way the heater performs either.

removing the restrictor provides a balanced flow between the drivers and passengers side head in term of volume. the fitting on the driver's side head provides an outlet for hot fluid only on the driver's side. removing the restrictor improves the outlet for the passenger side and IMHO can't hurt. the job can be a b*tch with the s/c and all still installed.

that said, the gain in flow probably isn't worth the effort, and Ford installed the restrictor for a reason.

03mgtermi

Established Member
Well I finally got that freeze plug out wasnt TOO bad. That wiring harness was a PITA!!! to move around. Was able to put the fittings and everything but when trying to screw the little screw to the plate it got lost! Anyone know where i can get another? Thats pretty much the last part of the install I got to do besides putting everything back in place! What type of coolant should I use to but back in?

the plate is in the valley of the motor under the intake. this exact thing happened to me, hence the pulling of the eaton to get it, and the removal of the heater hose restrictor while i was at it.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
i took mine out and haven't had any problems. no change in the way the heater performs either.

removing the restrictor provides a balanced flow between the drivers and passengers side head in term of volume. the fitting on the driver's side head provides an outlet for hot fluid only on the driver's side. removing the restrictor improves the outlet for the passenger side and IMHO can't hurt. the job can be a b*tch with the s/c and all still installed.

that said, the gain in flow probably isn't worth the effort, and Ford installed the restrictor for a reason.

Mine is out as well. I probably have about 20k miles on the car without it. No issues. It was a bit of a pain to get out, but not too bad. I had more trouble with the wiring harness than I did with the restrictor.

froggerlives07

Established Member
Mine is out as well. I probably have about 20k miles on the car without it. No issues. It was a bit of a pain to get out, but not too bad. I had more trouble with the wiring harness than I did with the restrictor.

Well decided to take the restrictor out...piece of cake compared to the Wiring harness in the way.lol...All I got to do now is put the heater hose back on and get the screw for the plate!!! Ill probably see if I can locate it back there with a magnet and mirror!

Users who are viewing this thread