Evap Emissions System, DTC's P0455 & P0457

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Ever since I replaced my intercooler core underneath the supercharger a few months back I've been getting the SES light on with DTC's P0455 and P0457. I've only done some poking around reading through posts and TSB's so far; I figure this would be a "I'll take care of it when I can" scenario. I just clear the code and it comes back after roughly 50 miles of driving.

I mentioned having these trouble codes in another thread and another member suggested I may have a vacuum line installed in the wrong place. From what I've read so far it could be the canister purge valve, vapor canister, misc. sensors or relays, or just an incorrectly placed vacuum hose. Before I go through the trouble of having a smoke machine lesk test done or replacing any of the evap system components I'd like to see if anyone has any engine bay photos which show some of the vacuum lines so I can compare them. I was under the car this past weekend installing a new catback and while I was there I double checked all the hoses going into and from the fuel tank; everything seems to be in order. Everything under the hood is connected from what I can see.

From what I've read so far this could be a quick fix or costly after replacing several components. I'd rather see if I could get some feedback first before spending anymore money; as it is I'm probably going to have to pawn my left nut to pay off last months credit card bills. Any insight or feedback will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My guess is you have something hooked up wrong seeing you had the blower off. Maybe these will help.
028.jpg

030-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

keith89

Established Member
I've been having evap problems too. The gas cap light would come on. After replacing it and a few drive cycles, the light would go away. Eventually the light would come back on. I'm on my 3rd gas cap this year and just parked the car for the winter. I'll research it over the winter and deal with it in the spring.

OP, hopefully you find the issue so it may give me some ideas.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
My guess is you have something hooked up wrong seeing you had the blower off. Maybe these will help.

Perfect, I just need to see if I have anything incorrectly connected. There are some larger rubber vaccuum lines at the rear of the blower I'm going to check as well. I'm going to guess one of them controls the vapor canister and valve

I've been having evap problems too. The gas cap light would come on. After replacing it and a few drive cycles, the light would go away. Eventually the light would come back on. I'm on my 3rd gas cap this year and just parked the car for the winter. I'll research it over the winter and deal with it in the spring.

OP, hopefully you find the issue so it may give me some ideas.

I thought it was the gas cap too, been through 2 already and have the same issues. I'm going to do some poking around while the wife is out of town this weekend, hopefully I get this figured out.

If all else fails I may just cough up the $150 to have a smoke machine leak test ran; if there is in fact a leak it will be found.

Thanks for the input!:thumbsup:

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Well I did some poking around and it looks like these (2) vacuum line were reversed. I plugged them in as they are in the photo. I've cleared the trouble codes with my Predator and I'll see if this was indeed the problem.

IMG_0295.gif

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hopefully correcting the vacuum lines should fix your problem and I bet it will.
If you do need to check your evap stuff let me know.
Mine is all removed and in a box.

keith89

Established Member
hmm damn mine is already hooked up properly. Guess I'll have to keep searching. I have a feeling something may be clogged because I hear something in the back pop when i park it after a 30-60 minute drive. I'm assuming the pop is the gas cap releasing pressure.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I recently had the same DTC on my Lincoln Town car.
Turns out the seal around the filler tube into the gas tank was rotten and allowing pressure to escape.'
$28 dollars later problem solved.

keith89

Established Member
I recently had the same DTC on my Lincoln Town car.
Turns out the seal around the filler tube into the gas tank was rotten and allowing pressure to escape.'
$28 dollars later problem solved.

hmm how old was it. I have a feeling I have the opposite problem and perhaps one of my evap hoses got crushed during my return fuel install. I think my tank is actually building up pressure over time.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
hmm how old was it. I have a feeling I have the opposite problem and perhaps one of my evap hoses got crushed during my return fuel install. I think my tank is actually building up pressure over time.

The Lincoln is a 97.
Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread