ET Street Radials.

Tim Comer

Established Member
Went to the strip. It's now painfully obvious that my M/T Street Radial II 305/35R18 tires aren't gonna cut it. I even had them aired all the way down to 12 psi. I only got one good run at [email protected] MPH. The rest of the time, the car would hit second gear and start spinning. Then the dreaded 2-3-2-3 shift. With the car falling on it's face when that happens. I also have a Circle D 2C converter on the way. But I need to stop spinning when I hit second. If I go to a M/T Street Radial 275/60R15 on a 15x8" rim, does the gang think that will solve my problem? Thanks for any help. I need it.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
You should see a big difference with 15's, 18 inch 35 series, you just don't have enough sidewall, for the hook, those are among one of the best to choose from, except maybe like a Hoosier slick.

Last edited:

toomnymods

Established Member
why do all the auto guys always wanna run on radials? i've always have had my best 60's on a hoosier QTP 28x15x11.50 cheater slick. it is super soft and bites hard on the track, i have managed .3 60' better with this over a mickey thompson drag radial, and even bigger gain over the M&h drag radials where horrible imo.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
What size rim are your 305/35/18's on? They should be on a 11" rim to work right or bare minimum a 10.5... I know of a Vett that pull 1.49 60's with thim.
You could always run a Mickey 305/45/18 for more hook. That's my next tire...

are you leaving traction control on? I leave it on & pull 1.55 to 1.58's on Nitto's

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
Maybe it is the track. I run Nittos 305/40/18 555r which are the worst for traction (best in the rain though) and most of the time hook. Even if it does spin off the line, the most I get is a chirp shifting gears. The M/T DR's are a much sticker tire and should stick all the way down the track

Tim Comer

Established Member
The tires are on a 10" rim. They actually prepped the track twice because there were so many cars. The car "dynoed" 550 hp at the wheels and that is at the top of the rpm range. It hits 2nd gear hard. On the street, with the tires aired up, it will break loose in 1st right before it shifts. I've been all over the place with trying different psi. At 12 psi is when it made it's best run. And it still spun when it hit second. It just caught before it shifted to 3rd too soon. But when the sun went down, it was all over.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
The 10" is fine for the 45 series, but not the 35... I have 600+ to the wheels & I have no problem on 18" Nitto's @ 15 PSI

Or maybe your track just really sucks!

Tim Comer

Established Member
The shop that installed the blower told me the tires wouldn't take it. The guy that sold me the supercharger (Beefcake) said the tires probably wouldn't hook. They were right and I was wrong. I just hate to spend so much money to "upgrade" for a few runs a year. Not sure how a 28" tall tire will affect my 3.15 gearing. On a side note, a guy that was running 10s in his coyote 'stang said when (Notice he said when) I tear the rear gears up, to go to 3.55 gears. Jeeze.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
The rim should be the same size as the tread for max footprint usually.

I think 9" is actually optimum for a 275/60/15

Tim Comer

Established Member
Did not know that. Didn't really want to get into doing the cutting for a swaybar relocation bracket. Hoping to avoid that. Would I lose that much performance with the 8" rim? I've already screwed up once with my tire and wheel choice.

zemog255

Established Member
Go wiit a 275/50 if you're an auto centri car with the stock converter, you are going to need all the help you can get out of the whole. So the shorter tire will help. I ran the 265/40/18 MT first and had the same issues. It tries to hook but its just not enough tire. Going to the 15 took care of the traction problem.

Roushcornfed

Established Member
I run 15 inch dark stars with 275/60 et street on a 28 inch mickey stock 3.15s auto and it dead hooks the entire run. 585 at the rear tires. 17psi. 10.68 at 131mph. only made 2 runs so far on them and using the 8 inch wheel.

Last edited:

zemog255

Established Member
Never thought about a 275/50. I just saw where a lot of people were running the 275/60 tire. Not sure if I want a shorter tire. I figured the taller tire would stop the 3-4 shift and I might gain a little.

It is short, its about 1.2in shorter than the stock tire height. Once you get your down track traction issues sorted out you will be trapping in the upper 120 range. Even with a 28in tall tire I don't think you will be able to hold 3rd gear. I noticed you have some suspension mods. Have you tried adjusting or different positions? A 15in wheel will make things alot easier but its not impossible to hook the tire you have.

Tim Comer

Established Member
BMR UCA and LCAs are non adjustable. I put them on to stop the shuddering when the tires started to spin. Konis are set on full soft in the front, full hard in the rear. Put them on for high speed stability. Both mods did the job. Car is not lowered. Tires are around 6 months old. Glad to see someone using the 8" rim with the 275s.

_Snake_

Established Member
You have your suspension set up backwards. Put the rear shocks on full soft and the fronts on their stiffest setting. Adjust from there until you have it dialed in.

Users who are viewing this thread