ESPN cliff dive!

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Full disclosure being that I am not a sports fan but I used to be many moons ago and I did watch ESPN regularly. Does the network need 900 different channels covering crap? I can not imagine there is a huge viewership for some of the nonsense broadcast and with other non-typical networks covering sports I would think it cuts into ESPN.

lastcall190

Established Member
When Verizon took them away from their standard HD package I was kind of baffled as I failed to see what made ESPN "premium". Then I remembered that Sportscenter had become absolutely insufferable and I had no issue letting that one go. Around the Horn and PTI were all I watched, and I could just download the podcasts if I really wanted.

I did enjoy some of the 30 for 30 bits however.

-J

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Old AWA matches were part of their original programming when launched.

AWA was covered into the 80's as was WCCW during a time when kayfabe was paramount. Now it has become a soap opera and ESPN touches on it every now and again.

Bruiser Brody vs Abdullah The Butcher in Dallas was nothing compared to the joke WWE.

Nevertheless, people don't want to see "sports entertainment" these days.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
AWA was covered into the 80's as was WCCW during a time when kayfabe was paramount. Now it has become a soap opera and ESPN touches on it every now and again.

Bruiser Brody vs Abdullah The Butcher in Dallas was nothing compared to the joke WWE.

Nevertheless, people don't want to see "sports entertainment" these days.

I watched the end of Wrestlemania this year just to watch The Undertaker's last match. It was like watching a piece of my childhood end. Sad, but inevitable.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Crazy all the hoopla around this. Cable is dying PERIOD. Viewership is down across the board, look how many on this board alone have cut the cord in some form or another. Can't wait til I can just pick the 10 channels I want and pay like 30-40 bucks a month instead of having 200 channels I dont/wont watch. ESPN will be one of those channels.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Perhaps people don't like politics in their sports?

Exactly. I watch sports to get away from all that crap. ESPN went the way of MTV, going away from the content people tuned in for and going to political social justice bullshit we're not tuning in to see.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Crazy all the hoopla around this. Cable is dying PERIOD. Viewership is down across the board, look how many on this board alone have cut the cord in some form or another. Can't wait til I can just pick the 10 channels I want and pay like 30-40 bucks a month instead of having 200 channels I dont/wont watch. ESPN will be one of those channels.

This all day - the sooner they are all forced to go to a channel by channel sub model, the better. It's the last thing the Viacom's of the world want, but it's going to happen sooner or later. Live sports is the only thing keeping me and likely many other people in a cable package at all.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This all day - the sooner they are all forced to go to a channel by channel sub model, the better. It's the last thing the Viacom's of the world want, but it's going to happen sooner or later. Live sports is the only thing keeping me and likely many other people in a cable package at all.

NFL should just create their own subscription service and handle everything in house.

Users who are viewing this thread