epoxy garage flooring

SilvrStang

Voodoo Racing Innovations
Established Member
I work for Leslie's pool supplies and we carry garage epoxy kit. I used it in my friends garage worked amazing. It's made by Smart Seal. It's top of the line stuff and fairly priced.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Prep is 100% the key. They look really good though when its done.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Rustoleum kit sucks. I did part of mine twice and I followed the instructions to the letter. After its first winter it was ruined. Says won't discolor. Ha. Mines more black than grey where the salt landed.

cobra03red

Established Member
I went with the U-Coat it product and couldn't be any happier. I have had it on the floor for 6 years and it still shows no faults. I have had just about every chemical on it you can imagine and the coating stays put. Expensive but you only have to do it once.

Way2QWK

Established Member
I used epoxy-coat.com product 6 years ago and am happy with it. I don't go easy on the floor anymore, (like sliding tools or a floor jack across) so it does have scratches. It doesn't resist all chemicals, especially if they are on the floor for awhile without being cleaned-up, but Im sure no coating is indestructible. Just dont buy the cheap water-based coating and prep floor real good and you will be happy.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Don't do the home depot kit it doesn't last. Do some google searches. Prep is key.

I used the Rustoleum kit. While the end result was not on par with the rest of my buddies that used the Behr kit, it hasnt shown signs of delam/cracking/peeling. I even have about a foot of slab exposed to the elenents past the garage door thats holding just fine.

I degreased, then filled cracks, etched twice, and degreased again. Prep ftw.

Mine shows a distinct color difference between basecoat batches. Will mix it all at once next time.

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
I used the Rustoleum kit. While the end result was not on par with the rest of my buddies that used the Behr kit, it hasnt shown signs of delam/cracking/peeling. I even have about a foot of slab exposed to the elenents past the garage door thats holding just fine.

I degreased, then filled cracks, etched twice, and degreased again. Prep ftw.

Mine shows a distinct color difference between basecoat batches. Will mix it all at once next time.

I bought the same kit and the exact same thing happened to me. We prepped perfectly, and we had about 30sq feet left when we ran out of the first gallon of epoxy. We mixed the second batch, but you can tell where we used the second gallon, since it was a little more discoloroed and not as shiny. Same thing, if i do it again ill mix it all in a 5 gallon bucket to avoid that.

Viking42

Established Member
I bought the same kit and the exact same thing happened to me. We prepped perfectly, and we had about 30sq feet left when we ran out of the first gallon of epoxy. We mixed the second batch, but you can tell where we used the second gallon, since it was a little more discoloroed and not as shiny. Same thing, if i do it again ill mix it all in a 5 gallon bucket to avoid that.

A problem you might have mixing it all together, is if it doesn't all get laid out quick enough, it can start getting really sticky before you finish. The last few feet that I did on my garage floor was like trying to roll out pre-chewed bubble gum.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
A problem you might have mixing it all together, is if it doesn't all get laid out quick enough, it can start getting really sticky before you finish. The last few feet that I did on my garage floor was like trying to roll out pre-chewed bubble gum.

iirc once mixed it has a pot life of 1.5hrs.

We laid out the entire first pot within an hour and that included edging. About 20 minutes before we were out of that pot we mixed up the second pot, as the instructions state that you need to let it sit up 20-25min prior to applying after mixing for it to settle. We did that and even then the pots did not match colors.

Oh well, live and learn. Next attempt ill do a custom darker color, maybe even close to black or a dark charcoal with red flakes, and do a clear topcoat with the traction mix (sand stuff).

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I want the removable floor tiles for my garage when I get one, i have yet to find a floor paint/epoxy that will hold up. We have tried several different brands over the years in our shops at my dads house and non of them last. Floor tiles are where its at.

Users who are viewing this thread