Enthusiast Car - What would you buy?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I would say HELL no on a BMW. To expensive when it comes to maintenance and repairs.
If its DIY, its actually not as expensive as you think. The N54/N55 engines are also pretty damn reliable. The biggest problem i've ever had on mine was the electronic water pump going bad. Turbos, tranny, etc ran strong slight over 100k miles, car running mid 12s with simple mods and was a DD. Also gave me close to 30 MPG going to Las Vegas from LA.

Great on gas?

22 city and 28-29 hwy with 25 on my commute isnt exactly great.

I had one for a quite a while.

4 seats is more realistic as the middle is useless.
In Cali with all the stop and go traffic, that would be amazing gas mileage haha

Dusten

Established Member
Well, I guess I should have been a bit more specific. He said he worked from home, and would only really use it for random usage. It’s for his wife, and 2 kids I’d reckon. I don’t think you’ll get 3 grown 200 pound men in the back seats comfortably no. I also don’t live up north with hills and things. A vast majority of my driving is mostly city. With then 35/45 speed limit signs. I get around 17mpg in my hellcat charger. I use cruise control and such because it’s pretty straight forward. Nevertheless thanks for your input.

I'm not saying not to buy an st. But i would never claim they get good mileage.

I don't live around hills either. I can get out into the mountains but my daily commute is flat as ****.

Dusten

Established Member
I would say HELL no on a BMW. To expensive when it comes to maintenance and repairs.

I used to DD a Ford Contour. It was great overall, but towards the end something seemed to go out on it almost every other week.

My step daughter used to drive a Ford 500. Plenty of room even in the back seat and the trunk is huge. She got T boned and she liked that car so much we were able to find her a Mercury Sable (almost identical car to the Ford 500) to replace the 500.

So, I say a Ford 500, Mercury Sable or the new version of those cars the Ford Taurus.

Ford 500
View attachment 1756939

Mercury Sable
View attachment 1756940

Newer Ford Taurus
View attachment 1756941

He said fun.... Wtf is fun about those turds?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Here's one I didn't think about.

2013-2015 Honda Accord sport with the VTEC 2.4 and a 6 speed manual. 30 mpg, 500 mile range.

GREAT car to drive... outstanding mpg, and sporty enough to still have fun on the daily commute.

87lc2

Established Member
1998-2003 Jaguar XJR. Best performance bargain out there, 4.0L 370hp Supercharged V8 with 5 seats.

Have had a couple and they're solid, just picked up a 98 a month ago with 60k miles for $8k, immaculate car. They're cheap because everyone's scared of them being a Jag and all. They're basically a mid-90s Ford. Some parts can be a bit pricey, but most everything is readily available and reasonable.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I work from home so I don't need a super reliable, tree hugging car. I do need 4 seats minimum (a 2 seater is out of the question).

I am open to any brand, model, etc...Can be a 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. Can be a manual or auto, I don't care which one....

Budget is low, maybe $10k-$15K....not a lot I know....

What would you buy?

He said fun.... Wtf is fun about those turds?

Hmmmm. His original post says 4 seats minimum, open to any brand, can be 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. Can be auto or manual and between $10K to $15K.

I don't see the word "FUN" anywhere in that post.

I believe my contributions fit the bill brother.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
If its DIY, its actually not as expensive as you think. The N54/N55 engines are also pretty damn reliable. The biggest problem i've ever had on mine was the electronic water pump going bad. Turbos, tranny, etc ran strong slight over 100k miles, car running mid 12s with simple mods and was a DD. Also gave me close to 30 MPG going to Las Vegas from LA.

That is true. My comment comes from the 1995 BMW 325i I owned. ECU went out in it eventually and was not worth the cost to repair. So, it was traded in for a 2005 Lincoln Aviator.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Focus ST

Legacy Sedan Turbo

04.5/05 Jetta GLI (with 1.8T and BBS wheels)

WRX

Contour SVT

Fusion Turbo

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Offered to buy a beauty of a 00 SVT Contour in green yesterday but the 78 YO gentleman was not interested. I love those cars.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm not saying not to buy an st. But i would never claim they get good mileage.

I don't live around hills either. I can get out into the mountains but my daily commute is flat as ****.
Mine did quite a bit better than yours did. I got nearly 30 for regular commute, 25 when beating on it and my personal best was 43.

All hand calc.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Pontiac G8 GXP ,but I might be biased. LS3 easy to get power out of ,lots of back seat ,and trunk room. The GT models with the 6.0L can be had fairly reasonable.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Mine did quite a bit better than yours did. I got nearly 30 for regular commute, 25 when beating on it and my personal best was 43.

All hand calc.

Mine was good enough for me, 26 average, that’s a spirited run to and from work on the backroads going to my house followed by 70 miles of 80+ mph interstate round trip and 1 hour a day running at idle on my lunch break

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
LOL...Not one. It was all about the wheel hop. I just let off for that fear but still drove it like I stole it.

I’ve wanted one for so long but the horror stories of rear ends just snapping on the street…

Dusten

Established Member
Hmmmm. His original post says 4 seats minimum, open to any brand, can be 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. Can be auto or manual and between $10K to $15K.

I don't see the word "FUN" anywhere in that post.

I believe my contributions fit the bill brother.

The thread title says enthusiast car.
Yours all fall well short.

Dusten

Established Member

All hand calc.

43? Coasting downhill?

My commute is 24 miles each way and about 17 of that's highway. So it's a good mix. And the 25-26 I saw, from my time in community was the norm. Yours is an exception.

Users who are viewing this thread