english majors or similar

306Stang

Established Member
when writing a paper, can you end the conclusion paragraph with a quote that ties the entire paper together? basically no sentence after quote.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Not an English major -- MIS Major with English minor, is that good enough?

I see no reason why not, but you better make damn sure that the quote really does tie everything together, is perfectly on topic, and isn't just some mildly related quote you think is cool.

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
If the quote is relevant and embedded properly with respect to transition and syntax, you should be fine.

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
My girlfriend is an English Major, graduate from UC Berkeley, and she says, NO! It is considered a floating quote. It would serve better in the middle of a sentence and/or paragraph.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
when writing a paper, can you end the conclusion paragraph with a quote that ties the entire paper together? basically no sentence after quote.

Is that your girlfriend ready to receive over there on the left? :uh oh:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
If it truly ties the paper, put it at the beginning as an opening quote. Or, put it inline:
In closing, as stated by _____, "quote."

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Majoring in Government Policy here at Georgetown.

What I generally do is open the paragraph with a leading sentence, follow with a contextually correct, but short quote and follow with supporting/closing sentences. From my experience professors hate long quotes so I try to find something as concise as possible.

Again, I am not and English major so take it fwiw.

Edit: Quotes are not filler to make paragraphs look pretty. They are there to prove that you understand the material you are discussing. You show this with a quote of relevance and substance.

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
I've seen journalists do this several times. They mostly use it to reinforce the entire point of their article, from a different point of view.

306Stang

Established Member
actually starting 7th grade in the fall. . . .

i went back and forth with her until i proved myself correct on another issue. i believe you can end with a quote just like several stated above - it has to be a damn good quote, relevant, and correct.

03 DSG - na my g/f is a little better looking than that ;-), it's a little philly named Taylor Bow. i used it for the avatar when i first signed up and haven't changed it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread