Engine Tick when warm

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
thank you. 10,000 posts with no new info. Just take it to the dealer. mine made some odd noise. i ripped it down the highway at 100mph before taking it into work this morning. i had a couple guys listen, we couldnt hear it. Gonna drive it 2 hours to the beach tomorrow and see what happens. either way, im not gonna lose sleep. i blame these J/o's for posting this shit, otherwise i would have never even heard it. :rockon:

LOL, when I saw this, I could only think of how your earlier post in another thread seemed to be a fit response to your post here:

"i dont care what you have to say. My problem is your 1000 posts about the same bullshit. give it up already, i dont need to read your cry baby posts. Deal with it"

Man, talk about 10,000 posts about the same thing. You may not lose sleep over your tick, but you are apparently losing sleep anytime someone expresses a problem, whether engine, tranny, or otherwise.

Last edited:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Again, the term "tick" is not relative to what some have had. Yes, the vid Cidsamuth posted obviously has something and may very well have created the TSB repair posted above his. I will say it again, the vid seems to be something different than others have experienced. This vid seems to fit the description of the 12-1-10 TSB.

There is another issue that is audible and not something that you have to listen or look for. It is blatently obvious under load and is an issue for some. In the end, FMC would not have replaced engines under warranty if it was just internet rumors.

RT, this is the reason I keep piping in: The confusion over these things -- I'm trying to keep the misinformation to a minimum. The TSB is not the fix for the problem in the video I just posted. For that problem, it's engine replacement, and thus the reason FMC has started to come around and replace some of them. While I can't confirm it's what others have, several folks have claimed it's the exact noise they have.

The TSB is for something different.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
RT, this is the reason I keep piping in: The confusion over these things -- I'm trying to keep the misinformation to a minimum. The TSB is not the fix for the problem in the video I just posted. For that problem, it's engine replacement, and thus the reason FMC has started to come around and replace many of them. While I can't confirm it's what others have, several folks have claimed it's the exact noise they have.

The TSB is for something different.

Yes, but as I just said in a PM to you, your vid/description does not relate to the OP's problem.

Not saying that is isn't helpful to others, but does not seem to relate to his noise.

atistang

Established Member
what ever is causing my noise, i dont think its serious.

my car sees at least 6k rpm every time i drive it, the noise hasnt gotten any better or worst. if it were a main or rod bearing, or a wrist pin problem, you would think it would have gotten much worst by now lol

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
since the other thread got closed and i have this problem, i figured i'd start a new one so that maybe we can get some data on who had what tick and what was done to fix it.

so my car

9/20/10 build date

premium m6 with 3.31's

bought the car with 400 miles on original oil.

never had any ticking noise cold or hot, drove it on and off through the winter (sometimes under 20 degrees outside) still no cold engine ticks or rattles.

changed the oil @ about 3100 miles. didn't notice the noise on the way to work the next morning. then on my way home (after 20 miles on new oil) i noticed what sounded like a lifter tick when between ~1000-2000rpm. not as loud as a lifter tick, as i could only hear it with the window down and driving next to objects on the drivers side, but the same sound. if i lightly free rev it it will intermittently tick, but when driving it will stay constant.

it doesn't make this tick until fully warmed up, the engine is nice and quiet when cold and when idling.

I'm going to give it until 4000-5000 miles and see if it goes away or not.

I used motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend oil just like the car came with and a fl500s filter.

this is the same exact sound i have

2011 5.0 Mustang engine TICK after oil change - YouTube

yeah mine does the same thing once and awhile. u cant hear it unless your in somewhere tight. its so odd.

fiveohalex

Fiveohalex
Established Member
UPDATE!!
NEW ENGINE ASSY ORDERED
not sure if I am super happy or should be worried this new one won't do the same aft warranty runs out..determined to be a "lower end noise" engine arrives Tuesday

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
UPDATE!!
NEW ENGINE ASSY ORDERED
not sure if I am super happy or should be worried this new one won't do the same aft warranty runs out..determined to be a "lower end noise" engine arrives Tuesday

did they say what the problem was or reason for replacing it.

when was your car built?

Lone Star

Established Member
I have had the same issue on mine since the first oil change at 3100 miles. I used valvoline 5w20 SYNPOWER, the noise lasted through 2 more oil changes. No noise at idle but under load only, driving next to jersey walls or parked cars. Noise dissapeared on it's own towards the end of the oil life, changed oil and noise came right back! Noise stopped again towards the end of the oil life. Switching back to motorcraft after this one.

Strange thing is has had no effect on performance! My car bone stock put down 387 rwhp & 380 tq on the dynojet and ran a 12.85 @ 110.4 leaving the tree at idle with a 1/2 tank of gas and full trunk of junk on stick tires only mods gt500 mufflers and Eibach pro kit springs.

fiveohalex

Fiveohalex
Established Member
Called it :banana:

Good luck. I'm sure the new engine will be fine.

I hope so....they only told me there is a lower end noise and after running every other test Ford determined a new engine was the only alternative.
My question is, will this new engine end up being the same deal...drive for a bit then tick tick tixk?? I doubt I will be modifying this car at all for fear that the warranty will be denied if anything happens again....should've bought the '08 gt500 I wanted. LOL.
I also have a warranty question, since this is a new engine Do I only get the balance of the warranty left on the car or does the engine get a full warranty, I think I know the answer but I thought I'd ask.

dan02gt

Established Member
Update on mine. I dropped my car back off on Monday. To make a long story short the dealership was not able to get it to tick. I picked it up on Wednesday to see if I could duplicate the issue, and sure enough the tick is gone. The new water pump did fix the tick at idle as for the ~1500 RPM one it seems to have quit on its on. Where does that leave me, I'm not really sure.

chao5.0

Established Member
update on mine:

after the oil change my tick wasn't as noticeable as before, but i was also 1 quart low on low before my oil change, thats the good news. the bad news is on the way on monday from work i got into an accident and my car is possibly totaled so i may not have to worry about my tick coming back, sad day for me.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
update on mine:

after the oil change my tick wasn't as noticeable as before, but i was also 1 quart low on low before my oil change, thats the good news. the bad news is on the way on monday from work i got into an accident and my car is possibly totaled so i may not have to worry about my tick coming back, sad day for me.

That sucks. Hopefuly you are injury free.

Users who are viewing this thread