Engine Tick/ Clicking Sound

da2k17

Established Member
Yes i know all about the head tick issue. no i dont think it is or i wouldnt be posting.

Background

Motor has less than 3500 miles on it. rebuilt last winter due to low compression.

block bored .20 over, JE pistons, comp cams, comp springs & retainers, manley valves, bronze vale guides, new timing chains and tensioners, file fit rings.

motor was done by a local machine shop. it started making a quiet ticking sound about two weeks after i put it back in the car. it only did it when the car was fully warmed up. i took it back to him and he didnt really have any answers for what it could be. since it wasnt very loud i left it go for the rest of the summer and i knew it was there but most people didnt pick up on it. there was no performance loss from it. dyno tuned right where it should.

car sat over winter, got it out like a month and a half ago and the tick is much louder than before. it now ticks as soon as the car is started, i can hear it while driving over the exhaust. the volume of it varies, sometimes i cant hear it at all other times you can hear it over the driving noise and exhaust.

my first thought was maybe he didnt use the bronze valve guides as it resembles the head tick. i really dont know whats going on, i took some videos maybe someone will know.

i used a stethoscope and the noise is most audible where the coil cover has 32 valve. i point to it in the first video. it sounds like clicking not tapping if that makes sense. it also increases with rpm.

first vid is of the noise from the front side and bottom

second is of revving

third is with the stethoscope ear pieces over my phones mic. there is a good few seconds of the sound exactly as i hear it with the stethoscope.

Cliffs:
New motor started ticking quietly when hot
sat over winter now ticks very loud at any temp
sometimes tick goes away and or gets much quieter, but always come back

2012-04-19_12-51-32_543.mp4 - YouTube

2012-04-19_12-53-33_244.mp4 - YouTube

2012-04-19_12-56-07_494.mp4 - YouTube

Last edited:

nickSD

First Rodeo
Established Member
Any difference after an oil change?

Retract that after listening to the videos. Definitely sounds like excessive clearance in one of the rockers. If you've ruled out an exhaust leak, I think it's got to come apart for inspection. I'd suggest pulling the valve cover to have a look. I know it's a PITA in the car, after doing that, I pulled my motor rather than do it a second time.

Last edited:

da2k17

Established Member
Im hoping its something along those lines. i really dont want have to take the head off.

as for the valve cover thats going to suck ass, i honestly think i can get the motor out quicker....

nickSD

First Rodeo
Established Member
LOL. I hear that.

This sounds just like a loose rocker on a solid roller cammed Windsor. Ask me how I know! Hopefully it's not one of the new exhaust guides, but if the shop did their job right, that shouldn't be it.

With luck, this will just be a collapsed lifter. Are you running valve stem caps by any chance? Not too many folks do these days but a failed one of those could also cause this. Hard to tell for sure without standing there but it really sounds like only one rocker/lifter/valve is the culprit.

Keep us posted.

da2k17

Established Member
Was talking with a friend last night and he thinks it sounds like a lash adjustment is needed. Hopefully thats all it is. Im taking the valve cover off tomorrow.....

da2k17

Established Member
Anyone know where i can get the techincal specs on how much cleance there should be with the rockers?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would take a look at how those Comp valve springs fit the valve spring retainer(s).

I have heard of multiple issues with 1996 through current Ford modular DOHC 32 valve engines, where the ID of the top of the Comp spring interfered with the step inside the retainer and the retainer would not properly fit down inside the spring.

Google it, just in case I might be remembering a different company's spring.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Comp springs.I seen.lots of failures. ESP with came.that's why I went with revised.Ford.head with stock cans..not.a.drag.racer.here

Sorry Jimmy still.using the crappy cell phone.

da2k17

Established Member
i got the valve cover off. nothing looks to be damaged or out of place but then again im not really sure what im looking for.

anyone care to shed some light on how i should go about checking the lifters or inspecting the vlave train for whatever could be causing this noise?

da2k17

Established Member
200 views and a few replies.... c'mon someone has to know the ins and outs of the heads..

how do i check the lash adjustment?
how do i tell if a lifter is broken or crushed?
how can i tell if the valve guides are bad?
do the cams need to come off?

i understand how the heads function but not all the details and parts associated with them.

im going to try and get the guy who put my motor together to come to my house and look at it but i dont know when or if that will happen. i really wanna get this resolved asap but i dont know how to find what causing the problem.

the spark plugs for the middle two cylinders were slightly more black that the outer two. and the tick was clearly more audible over the cams/valves of those cylinders. does that mean anything? it is the outer cam, im assuming thats the exhaust?

i shut the fuel system off and turned the motor over and everything appeared to function fine.

this noise was really getting to me, i really expected to see something clearly broken with how loud it was. now i just dont know what to do....

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
200 views and a few replies.... c'mon someone has to know the ins and outs of the heads..

how do i check the lash adjustment? You don't, they pump up by oil pressure and take up all the lash.
how do i tell if a lifter is broken or crushed?
There will be play/lash/space between the follower and the cam lobe.
how can i tell if the valve guides are bad?
You screw a fitting into the spark plug hole of the cylinder you want to check. Bring the engine to top dead center with the valves all closed. Attach air hose to the fitting to pressurize the cylinder with compressed air. Remove one valve spring retainers one at a time and check valve stem for movement perpendicular to the center line of the crank.
do the cams need to come off?
To do what? Not until you determine the guides need to be replaced.

i understand how the heads function but not all the details and parts associated with them.

im going to try and get the guy who put my motor together to come to my house and look at it but i dont know when or if that will happen. i really wanna get this resolved asap but i dont know how to find what causing the problem.

the spark plugs for the middle two cylinders were slightly more black that the outer two. and the tick was clearly more audible over the cams/valves of those cylinders. does that mean anything? it is the outer cam, im assuming thats the exhaust?

i shut the fuel system off and turned the motor over and everything appeared to function fine.

this noise was really getting to me, i really expected to see something clearly broken with how loud it was. now i just dont know what to do....

In red.

da2k17

Established Member
Crushed lifter. hopefully ill get it fixed asap, i have the auto parts store looking up the part as i type this. thanks for the info jimmy.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Crushed lifter. hopefully ill get it fixed asap, i have the auto parts store looking up the part as i type this. thanks for the info jimmy.

How did you determine that was it? was it real soft or did you crush them all in a vice and figure it out?

da2k17

Established Member
The guy who built it came to my house and went over everything. He found it in less than five minutes. I turned the motor over while he checked them. One has a LOT of excess up and down movement. All of the others were rock solid.

Users who are viewing this thread