Engine swap, or rebuild

Cobra80

Established Member
I have a small leak down on my # 6 cylinder due to rings. when we put oil in the cylinder the presure is the same as all the others. It has not even caused the car to miss or to have blow by yet but I need to plan for what is eventualy going to happen. the engine currently has 51k Should I just pull the k member to replace with a tubular, pull the head and oil pan yank the piston and re-ring the piston and put it back together, or should I get one of the new alluminum SVT blocks from ford made for the 03-04 Cobras? I am not looking to break the bank, but at the same time would like to get to 600rwhp

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Having just rebuilt my engine I gotta tell you pulling a head in the car will be a nightmare and not save you ANY work. I've pulled the k-member in my car and dropped the oil pan and pulled a valve cover and I stopped there. It was a LOT of work and I couldn't see the head even coming off. I put it all back together, removed the hood and pulled the motor. The motor comes out very easy in these cars. You don't even have to break the a/c or power steering systems. Both systems have their pumps down low on the sides. Just unbolt them and move aside and lift the motor.

Then re-ring or rebuild or what ever you want to do on an engine stand and then put the motor back. Dealing with all that front cover stuff, timing chains etc. Ahhh I can't imagine in the car. Not worth it in my opinion.

Bill56

Established Member
i would think about if first when buying a motor from FRPP, they have had bad motors sold lately, and have not been helpful,
If i were you id go to Houston Performance, since your in Houston, they do some good stuff, itll cost about 6-7k to rebuild your motor with the best parts even port the heads and put it back in the car and tune it, call them 281-893-6080, and you can be sure they well back up there work

Cobra80

Established Member
i would think about if first when buying a motor from FRPP, they have had bad motors sold lately, and have not been helpful,
If i were you id go to Houston Performance, since your in Houston, they do some good stuff, itll cost about 6-7k to rebuild your motor with the best parts even port the heads and put it back in the car and tune it, call them 281-893-6080, and you can be sure they well back up there work

I used them with my last mustang. they did ok work. I thought they shutdown though? I have been going to Fast Lane, But I am most likley going to do the R&R myself and most of the assy too. Just wanting to cut down on down time. Also would like to strengthen if posible.

03yellow

Established Member
Got a price thru tousley ford for the rebuilt. Then had the local dealership match the price. No shipping thru local dealership. And the cut me a break on the install.
Whatever youu do get it in writing. For the rebuild and the install. Ive been thru 2 rebuilds on different cars. I Also had a friend go thru a rebuild this year as well. If we did not have everything in writing then we would have gotten bumped. Not hudreds but thousands of dollars.

Get it in writing and make sure it says it cover everything.
I have yet to see a person get their motor rebuilt and put in for the price they were quoted. Is always something. Protect yourself.
I still wished I would have spent anouter $1000 to $1500 for the JE pistons and rebuild at HPP.

Users who are viewing this thread