Engine Question

Bybowtie

BOOSTED
Established Member
l can get a complete 1994 Lincoln Mark 8 engine that runs for $300. ls this engine worth buying to do a rebuild to go in a mustang with a cobra intake and stuff????? lts the 4V engine. Not sure on miles. Thanks

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
it has the better aluminum block as far as I remember it may be worth it for that but the rest of it is junk

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The heads and block are the same as the Cobra up to 1998. I'm not sure if the cams are the same or different. The crank is cast, the rods and main caps are powdered metal.

A lot of the Cobra-replica kit-car guys are using these in their roadsters as they are dirt cheap compared to wrecked Cobra engines.

It can be built up to take any level of horsepower you want, John Mihovetz uses these same blocks and heads to make 2,330hp. If you want to make over 450hp you should go with a forged crank, rods and pistons.

You might want to consider installing an Accusump, because oil starvation is this engine's one major weakness.

Don't be worried about setting up four cams, if you go with Ford stock cams and gears & chains. Ford puts a series of timing marks on the chains, and index marks on the cams, that make it a thirty minute job. Two hours, if you want to put on a degree wheel and check your lobe centers, etc.

A buddy of mine is rebuilding a Cobra, that is how I know this stuff. Also, na_svt and Toasty, among others, can answer just about any question you have on these engines.

Jim Snover

Last edited:

Bybowtie

BOOSTED
Established Member
Thanks man. l was wanting to pick it up and do a forged engine. Just wanted to get some info first so l didn't buy a $300 paper weight that wouldn't even be good to take to a scrap yard. Thanks for the info.

klarkent42

Man of Steel
Established Member
The heads and block are the same as the Cobra up to 1998. I'm not sure if the cams are the same or different. The crank is cast, the rods and main caps are powdered metal.

A lot of the Cobra-replica kit-car guys are using these in their roadsters as they are dirt cheap compared to wrecked Cobra engines.

It can be built up to take any level of horsepower you want, John Mihovetz uses these same blocks and heads to make 2,330hp. If you want to make over 450hp you should go with a forged crank, rods and pistons.

You might want to consider installing an Accusump, because oil starvation is this engine's one major weakness.

Don't be worried about setting up four cams, if you go with Ford stock cams and gears & chains. Ford puts a series of timing marks on the chains, and index marks on the cams, that make it a thirty minute job. Two hours, if you want to put on a degree wheel and check your lobe centers, etc.

A buddy of mine is rebuilding a Cobra, that is how I know this stuff. Also, na_svt and Toasty, among others, can answer just about any question you have on these engines.

Jim Snover

Jim Snover has spoken, no need to ask further questions.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
also the intake (16 runners instaed of the cobras 8) and the 93-96 IMRC setup is differnt than the 96-98 cobra, and the IMRC's are controlled by vacuum not cable like in the cobra.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Weird. I just got the oppurtunity to buy a Mark VIII for 400 for the whole car yesterday. Runs and drives but beat to hell. If I could, I'd get it.

Users who are viewing this thread