Engine pulled, now what?

acatalon

Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three weeks ago i made 4 passes within an hour at the local track, running 2.93 with a two lbs lower an a stage 1 steggy port. Best number that day was 11.19 at 124.5. loaded her up on trailer got home 1 hr later starterd it up and heard a knock. Towed it in to the svt mechanic that installed the drivers side head( in 2003) and he thought it was piston slap..he said just warm it up good and go play...so
I did so and it started knocking when i got past the 8th mile at 97mph.

Pulled the engine and found all cylinders have minor skuffing and about 3 of them show signs of roughness neat the top of the pistons where the injector sprays.

I plan to rebuild her with better pistons, but unsure of cause of prob. I really drove the snot out of this car before finding out that high speed passes were detrimental to its health. Its got hundreds of passes on it and I am fully satisfied with its performance throught the 4 years of hell its endured.

Just wanna make sure to not repeat another tear-down for same reason. Need some help..its got a larger resorvoir and heat exchanger already and will be doing the Even -flow mod..it never showed high temp on the guage posssibly a lower thermostat and will be installing a pair of 05 revised heads....next year the whipple upgrade looks possible...

acatalon

Established Member
Any recomendations on piston manufacturer and ring type to use? Block goes to machine shop in the morning.....

acatalon

Established Member
Thanks JB, I talked to a vendor today about Diamond pistons and he told me a few things about them..1. They are the only ones with the offset that allows them to run quieter. 2. Most of the Short blocks he builds for Terminators utilize other than stock dishing, which he recommended 11.5 cc or the 17cc which is closer to stock.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
acatalon said:
Thanks JB, I talked to a vendor today about Diamond pistons and he told me a few things about them..1. They are the only ones with the offset that allows them to run quieter. 2. Most of the Short blocks he builds for Terminators utilize other than stock dishing, which he recommended 11.5 cc or the 17cc which is closer to stock.

Acatalon--trying to find out what you were quoted for parts and labor for the piston install? If you could send me a PM, that would be great.

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
i want to do my motor too but i always see people talking about VT. their website leaves me confused and i dont have time to call them during the day because of work:cuss:

some people on here said to keep the stock rods. i want to keep the blower/nitrous combo. which cp piston piston should i get? is diamond better? je? i did a search and those questions were not answered. i tried a thread too by the way. sorry bout hijacking

acatalon

Established Member
Well my crank, connecting rods and money are packed and heading to Modular Performance to be installed in a Teksid block with diamond pistons...John and I talked about him possibly assembling the entire longblock and shipping it 1200 miles to me. It looks like the pistons were on the verge of catastrophic failure so heres my chance to do it correctly with a lighter/stronger bottom end.

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
acatalon said:
Well my crank, connecting rods and money are packed and heading to Modular Performance to be installed in a Teksid block with diamond pistons...John and I talked about him possibly assembling the entire longblock and shipping it 1200 miles to me. It looks like the pistons were on the verge of catastrophic failure so heres my chance to do it correctly with a lighter/stronger bottom end.
pm sent

Fast Willy

Established Member
I have diamond in mine and love them. Dont know the exact fit of the thine just ask your builder or talk to who ever you decide to buy the pistons from and they will let you know. Hope it all works out for you.
As far as the problem with the skuffing on the walls the stock rings on these pistons are very very tight and dont allow for long pulls on the car. If so then they break. I bet if you left the motor in you wouldn't have passed a leak down test.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
acatalon said:

:thumbsup: if you can..give me an idea when you will have evrything back together so we can get our Tuning Day down there scheduled...

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
So roughly how much is this gonna run ya? I'll want to do it one of these days.

What's the weight difference between the teksid block and the stock block?

acatalon

Established Member
Right now the big delima is the heads....I have the early upgraded head on driver side, orig on passangerside. I am on the fence about just buying a new set or reusing what I have. I hate to throw away good heads but they have 27k miles on them, John could probably get them tested and inspected which would aid in making a decision. The build is expected to take 6 weeks with all of the coating and machine work that is required to build this to their specifications

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread