Engine problem..tick?

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Something is wrong with my engine!

I did 3 roll-to-125ish mph runs [don't worry, empty deserted road]. Last 2 were back to back.

The very last run was slightly uphill. At around 120 and a high RPM, my SES light comes on and starts blinking and I'm hearing an engine noise I've never heard before :eek:

Upon slowing down, the SES light goes away, but the sound continues. I drove home and it got worse until I finally get on my driveway.

Sound type: If you've ever ridden a roller coaster, it sounds like the very beginning of it when you're being pulled up to the top, that ratcheting-clicking type of sound.

Volume: It can be heard in the cabin w/ windows up. Clearly heard from a distance outside. The more load is put on the engine, the louder is gets. It doesn't sound as loud during idle revving but it can CLEARLY be heard. Sometimes it gets quieter after 2K RPM, except when going uphill.

Speed/frequency: About 2-3 times a second.

Location: Hard to isolate the sound with a running engine and multiple sounds, but it doesn't sound like it coming from a particular head, more like under or around the blower. If anything, it's more audible on the passenger side. Sorry, I'm bad with pinpointing sounds.

My buddy said it could be the dreaded tick. Does that sound like it?

What could it be? Where do I start? I feel like total crap :bash: :shrug: Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
The SES light throws an interesting twist into the mix. I can't think of a single reason why that should happen if it were the tick. Have you had a chance to pull the codes and see what's stored? I'm guessing you went lean and hurt the motor.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If have to agree with FireRed04Vert that you might have hurt the motor when it went lean. I've seen a few cases here over the past two years where runs on the highway to 130-140 have resulted in a lean condition and a hurt motor. You said you went up to 120-125 or so, and the light went on at about 120, so I'm going to think at this point it is directed related to those banzai runs on the highway. IMO you need to have your motor checked right away. Doesn't sound good. And it definitely is not the 'tick' issue. Not from the way you described it and how it happened. Best of luck.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Not the tick?? Ah that's not good. What are the possible damages, costs, and where do I start? I'm guessing I shouldn't take it to the dealer (was going to take it in for warranty stuff).

I also figure if something's broken, time to upgrade it, but this could be painful on the wallet :(

Akuma

Established Member
I know what you did because I did the same thing; you burnt up 7 and 8. I did it about 5 months ago.

You should take the car back down to shawn over at So Cal and have the shop there do the engine work . Get a .20 Overbore and that should cure your block.

Oh yeah get a cooling mod, lol.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Akuma said:
I know what you did because I did the same thing; you burnt up 7 and 8. I did it about 5 months ago.

You should take the car back down to shawn over at So Cal and have the shop there do the engine work . Get a .20 Overbore and that should cure your block.

Oh yeah get a cooling mod, lol.
If that's the case, what exactly is causing the sound?

Can't take the car to Shawn. That's nearly a 2hr drive, I don't think I could bear driving the car THAT long let alone the damage it could do.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Wings65288 said:
thought i'd never hear that lol.

or pull a scam and bring it back to the dealer lol
I was thinking of doing it, but I like my warranty a little too much to do it. I do know a manager there (SVTOA sponsor rep), but I don't know if I should risk it with the chip and pulley.

Last edited:

Akuma

Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:

Can't take the car to Shawn. That's nearly a 2hr drive, I don't think I could bear driving the car THAT long let alone the damage it could do.

What you are hearing is piston slap. You put a warp in the cylinder and the piston is walking back-and-forth. This is also why it sound really bad when you get higher in RPM's

I was just saying that they had a good shop down there and that they could help you out. Also it would be a good idea just to put the car on a flatbed towtruck and bring it to a shop.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mike_Hawk said:

Why are you concerned about a 2 hour drive at this point? If you injured the motor (which is likely) then I would think your goal would be to get it fixed right. And you certainly don't have to drive it at there. Have it trailered. Seems pretty simple to me. You damaged the motor. Get it fixed by a good shop ASAP. You seem to have a good shop only 2 hours away, which is fortunate for you. Call them, discuss what happened, and arrange for it to be trailered there. Shouldn't be that expensive. JMO.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
i would just remove your mods and bring it back to the dealer. it's all free if it's still under warranty. your going to save yourself a LOT of money by demoding and bringing it back to the dealer.

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
It's possible you shot a plug out of the head. I just had this happen to me about three weeks ago, and it sounded a lot like the sound you're describing. The dealership didn't warranty mine though because I had TR6's in the car. Check your plugs and see if this is what happened. If this isn't the problem then you hurt a piston. Good luck man.

Akuma

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Why are you concerned about a 2 hour drive at this point? If you injured the motor (which is likely) then I would think your goal would be to get it fixed right. And you certainly don't have to drive it at there. Have it trailered. Seems pretty simple to me. You damaged the motor. Get it fixed by a good shop ASAP. You seem to have a good shop only 2 hours away, which is fortunate for you. Call them, discuss what happened, and arrange for it to be trailered there. Shouldn't be that expensive. JMO.

I am 100% with Bob on this one.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Okay, my plan is to take the car to a shop tomorrow morning, DPR, and have them remove the pulley and chip and get their take on my problem. Then I'm gunna hobble it to the dealer and attempt the warranty work. How's that sound?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Worth a shot Mike. And if that doesn't pan out, follow my advise above. :)

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Worth a shot Mike. And if that doesn't pan out, follow my advise above. :)
Indeed. While I'm here I might as well prepare for the worst.

Knowing the possible damages, what are the good aftermarket parts and brands to switch out to? I guess stuff like blocks, pistons, heads, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread