Engine noise

mrpork

Established Member
Seems around 3grand on the tach I'm getting a noise from the motor. Don't really know what piston slap sounds like. Was told that this might be what I'm hearing. Does anyone else have a similar noise? the car is a 14 with 5578 on her.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You have woefully not given enough information.

A clip of said sound.
characterize the sound...metallic, hollow, thumping, etc
Oil in catch can
smoke in exhaust

Help us help you.

railroad

Established Member
I have the same car with the listed mods. I have a noise that sounds like one cylinder, on the drivers side, 22-2400 rpm. It makes the noise with a little push on the accel above a cruise. I back off it stops, I put a little throttle to it and I get a noise. It does not sound like a valve train noise. I checked to make sure I did not have a loose spark plug, all OK. I notice it when the ambient is about 70*F engine warm. Stops completely with cruise or off throttle, on with slight accel from cruise, cannot hear it any other times. It does not do it all the time. I have heard it twice in the last 6-8 months. No exhaust noise, cannot find anything loose. Amsoil 5w-50 with Motorcraft filter. 5500 plus miles. I am just riding it out for now.

railroad

Established Member
I hope it is an exhaust issue. It just does not sound like what I have heard before. The MRT exhaust does not seem to be top of the line for specific applications. The connection to the manifolds makes me think they tried saving money and adapting something already jigged up. I might get it on the rack and give the joints a once over.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I hope it is an exhaust issue. It just does not sound like what I have heard before. The MRT exhaust does not seem to be top of the line for specific applications. The connection to the manifolds makes me think they tried saving money and adapting something already jigged up. I might get it on the rack and give the joints a once over.

Keep us posted....

mrpork

Established Member
Tough to get a clip of the noise. It's really faint(You know when you can hear a noise in your car that's not suppose to be there). Kind of a hollow thumping noise. There is a oil can .The only mods i have are the oil can and a jet cold air intake(carbon fiber)No smoke in the exhaust.There is no tune that i know of(purchased her used with 1278 miles on her)she now has 5587 on her.
You have woefully not given enough information.

A clip of said sound.
characterize the sound...metallic, hollow, thumping, etc
Oil in catch can
smoke in exhaust

Help us help you.

Yikes what mods/tune if any are you running?

Exhaust leak?

Last edited:

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Seems around 3grand on the tach I'm getting a noise from the motor. Don't really know what piston slap sounds like. Was told that this might be what I'm hearing. Does anyone else have a similar noise? the car is a 14 with 5578 on her.

OP. I think my car makes the same noise around 3K-4K especially on 4th gear. Then one day by pure coincidence as soon as the noise started, I grabbed the shifter knob and put a little bit of pressure while pushing it to the right and also toward me. The noise disappeared as soon as I did that so in my case, it's just vibration plus resonance from the engine at the shifter link. Try it and good luck.

Last edited:

mrpork

Established Member
Thank you I'll try that tomorrow morning...
OP. I think my car makes the same noise around 3K-4K especially on 4th gear. Then one day by pure coincidence as soon as the noise started, I grabbed the shifter knob and put a little bit of pressure while pushing it to the right and also toward me. The noise disappeared as soon as did that so in my case, it's just vibration plus resonance from the engine at the shifter link. Try it and good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread