Engine Noise Scare

Lance SVT

Established Member
It was a nice day out last Friday, so I figured I'd take the Cobra to work. Well on the drive home from work I decided to rip through some gears which was really fun of course! Well I come up to a stop at a red light and I hear this clanking noise. I thought to myself oh crap what could it be? So as soon as I pull up to my driveway at home, I pop the hood, and it sounds like it's coming from the Supercharger. I decided to just shut the car off and do a little research on Kenne Bell's website, and what I came up with was that, it could be the coupler on the front of the supercharger (which can be replaced with the supercharger on the car according to their website) Doesn't sound like that big of a deal right? Still, I wasn't looking forward to it plus the supercharger maybe has 4 to 5,000 total miles on it max! I couldn't believe something would go out on the supercharger that fast when from what I understand, they are suppose to be pretty maintenance free besides an occasional oil change. So the next day I fired up the car just to see if the noise might have gone away, but unfortunately it was still there. So finally I pulled off the drive belt and spun the supercharger by hand which felt fine with no binding at all, and also tried to shake it for any play, in which there was no play in it as well. Finally I check the some of the idlers and here's where the problem lies. One of the idlers bearings was so bad I could wiggle it back and forth each way about 1/4 of an inch! So badly that the noise I was hearing was from the idler having enough play to grind against part of the engine which is where the noise was coming from. Checking the other idlers, two of the others had some pretty good play in them too, although not nearly as bad as the first one, and then the last one felt fine with no play in it. Needless to say, I am relieved it was the idlers, not anything to do with the supercharger and will be putting on some new idlers asap! What are your guys recommendations? I am leaning towards Billetflow. The one's that are on the car now are aftermarket, although I'm not sure which brand. All I can see is the snub says Motoblue on it.

Lance SVT

Established Member
Glad to hear it was a relatively simple fix & not your supercharger making the noise.
I've had the 4 piece Billetflow pulley set for over 7 years with no problems.

Thanks, it's a relief for sure! I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Billetflow set in black. I am eventually gonna throw on 3.5" Billetflow supercharger pulley on as well because I think it looks way better than the plain Jane Kenne Bell ones.

03' White Snake

Established Member
1. Billetflow pullies are really nice. You can change just the bearing in them so they could be the last set of idlers you ever buy.

2. Do not put an aluminum pulley on your KB. There is a reason they are steel. The aluminum will heat up and weld itself to your blower shaft and that will be expensive for KB to fix for you.

Read the facts on your blower and do a little search on how many people mess up their blowers by switching pullies. Search "kenne bell pulley stuck"

Lance SVT

Established Member
1. Billetflow pullies are really nice. You can change just the bearing in them so they could be the last set of idlers you ever buy.

2. Do not put an aluminum pulley on your KB. There is a reason they are steel. The aluminum will heat up and weld itself to your blower shaft and that will be expensive for KB to fix for you.

Read the facts on your blower and do a little search on how many people mess up their blowers by switching pullies. Search "kenne bell pulley stuck"

Thanks for the info! I thought the Billetflow supercharger pulleys were hardened steel with an aluminum outer ring? If that's the case, only the steel part would be touching the blower correct?

Lance SVT

Established Member
Well, I got all the idlers off yesterday. Looks like there was still a stocker that was left on the car from the previous owner. You can see where the one idler was grinding making the noises I was talking about. Just ordered me up a 4 piece set of black anodized Billetflow idlers thanks to Lethal Performance! Man, it looks like it's a bit** to get to the serpentine belt! How hard is it to get to if I ever decide to change it?

20150326_174647.jpg

20150326_174727.jpg

20150326_174625.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread