Engine Moan

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
Hey guys, I have recently heard a weird noise coming from my engine. It sounds like a moan of some sort. I am not sure if it is my alternator, my supercharger, or possible the power steering?

One thing my brother mentioned to me is that he doesn't hear the typical vortech blower sound on my car any more.

Here is a clip to it
I can try to get another if this isn't useful. Let me know what you guys think it might be.

Thanks!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea that sounds weird. It's a self contained unit correct? When was the last time you changed the oil in it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ This. Vortech recommends the first oil change at 2,500 miles, and each subsequent oil change is at 7,500 mile increments.

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
Correct this unit is self contained. I have changed the oil every 7,500 miles if not sooner after the initial change at 2,500 miles. I can't recall the exact time I changed the oil on it last but I can change the oil on it again if you think that might be the issue. The dip stick looks good and the color is the normal pink/red color.

Could it be blower bearings or something along those lines?

I have had the blower since the end of 2008 and pretty much daily drive the car...although I would say it has been down for a year-year and a half during that time frame.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Correct this unit is self contained. I have changed the oil every 7,500 miles if not sooner after the initial change at 2,500 miles. I can't recall the exact time I changed the oil on it last but I can change the oil on it again if you think that might be the issue. The dip stick looks good and the color is the normal pink/red color.

Could it be blower bearings or something along those lines?

I have had the blower since the end of 2008 and pretty much daily drive the car...although I would say it has been down for a year-year and a half during that time frame.
I'm not all that familiar with Vortech blowers, but from what I've read there have been very few bearing issues. Not that it cannot happen. This, to me, doesn't sound like a bad bearing.

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
I spoke with Vortech briefly and they mentioned a bad bearing would sound more like a grinding or squealing noise. Might also sounds like a can with marbles in it. So this doesn't sound like that...but I am trying to figured out where the vortech whistle went. I sent them the video and they mentioned that it could be blower related but also sounds a bit like a bad alternator.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I can hear the blower but i think its masked by something else.

I agree; put a scope near that alt. bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread