engine light flashing at high speed

Hungdaknees

Established Member
I had to buy the catch can the mechanic said he wouldn't change out the mass air flow because of all the oil that was on there until I put one one. I put a jlt on the drivers side.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
How do you get oil on the MAF? The line from the valve cover is well past the MAF. Even if there was enough oil getting into the intake tube and it ran down to the MAF it would be on the bottom of the tube and should not affect the MAF. Do you run an oiled air filter?

If indeed you are getting enough oil getting in there to mess up the MAF you may have larger problems. May want to measure the compression and do a leak down test to make sure the engine is not hurt from all your high speed runs.

What mods have you done to get 17 PSI boost?

Last edited:

Hungdaknees

Established Member
No did not run any oil on the ari filter. Dont have a clue how it got on there just that the mechanic told me that there was oil all over it and it was messing with it by what his computer was telling him. The dealership was checking the whole car over cause they couldnt figure out after they changed all that how it would still be misfiring.
here are my mods
127mm jlt carbon intake
Ford cobra jet mono blade TB
NGK TR6 spark plugs
Kooks 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats
2.396 upper pulley, and lund tune
catch cans on both sides
Dyno numbers are 732rwhp and 711 torque

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
do you have the older version of the intake or did you get the updated version? also what kind of tune are running? timing?

Hungdaknees

Established Member
What are you talking about old version and updated version????
running a lund tune and dont have know what the timming is

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Tucker, the JLT guy, released an updated version of the intake because of some issues people were having when the air gets forced thru at high speed. I know its a lund tune, should have asked if it was aggressive or mild. At this point I would have the engine checked for the compression like someone mentioned and then recheck all your mods, make sure your plugs are gapped correctly. Contact JLT about the intake.

Hungdaknees

Established Member
everything is all check on mods. i contacted jlt and the update is only for a heat shield and thats it do not know if it is a aggressive or mild tune.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
everything is all check on mods. i contacted jlt and the update is only for a heat shield and thats it do not know if it is a aggressive or mild tune.

Ok. well good luck. And I would contact Lund and at least get the basic parameters of your tune. As an owner it's always good to know what tune you are running for any future reference. You can adjust yourself via handheld should conditions change ( such as bringing the global timing down when its really cold out)

Snoopy49

Established Member
I'm wondering why there is so much oil being forced out of the valve cover port into the intake? How is the oil getting blown back out towards the air filter? Is there a restriction in the PCV valve or the line from it to the blower? Is there a way to measure crankcase pressure? I go along with the other guys on a cylinder pressure and leak down test. You may have some ring issues.

Turbo mach1

Established Member
I'm wondering why there is so much oil being forced out of the valve cover port into the intake? How is the oil getting blown back out towards the air filter? Is there a restriction in the PCV valve or the line from it to the blower? Is there a way to measure crankcase pressure? I go along with the other guys on a cylinder pressure and leak down test. You may have some ring issues.

sounds like a ring issue

SirJAG

Established Member
At 160 in 4th, you would probably be into the restricted RPM zone.

ENGINE OVER-REV
Note: Engine torque and maximum rpm are limited until coolant temperature reaches 170°F (77°C). Warm up is indicated when the redline indicator band starting point changes from 6250 rpm to 7000 rpm.
Your vehicle is equipped with an over-rev feature to increase the performance range of your Shelby GT500. When conditions permit, over-rev is indicated on the tachometer with redline marked at 7000 rpm. If conditions limit over-rev accessibility, the band is illuminated red from 6250 rpm to 7000 rpm.
Once the engine is warm, the over-rev feature allows eight seconds above 6250 rpm up to 7000 rpm. If the eight second time limit is exceeded, the maximum engine rpm is reduced to 6250 rpm until both of the following occurs:
• Engine is operated for at least 15 seconds below 6000 rpm
• Engine rpm falls below 5000 rpm.
Do not operate the engine at high rpm and low load for sustained periods of time, as damage may occur.

question: reguarding the bolded section, how would one perform a 5th gear top speed run? this is the first i have heard of this. i just drive a lowly GT but i have kept the throttle pinned in 5th for much longer than 8s (i would guess somewhere between 15-20 seconds) to see if the car would even pull itself at redline....was this just asking for issues? why is there no mention of this in my manual?

i am very sure this is a stupid question, but would like for someone more knowlegeable to explain this limitation to me.

JAG

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
question: reguarding the bolded section, how would one perform a 5th gear top speed run? this is the first i have heard of this. i just drive a lowly GT but i have kept the throttle pinned in 5th for much longer than 8s (i would guess somewhere between 15-20 seconds) to see if the car would even pull itself at redline....was this just asking for issues? why is there no mention of this in my manual?

i am very sure this is a stupid question, but would like for someone more knowlegeable to explain this limitation to me.

JAG

I believe you just answered this yourself...."your lowly GT" does not have this feature. Specific to just the '13+ GT500. And yes, you are asking for issues running yours 15-20 sec on over-rev.

SirJAG

Established Member
Doing a wide-open throttle pull to redline and holding it there I don't believe is an " over rev"

I was under the limiter

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Doing a wide-open throttle pull to redline and holding it there I don't believe is an " over rev"

I was under the limiter

you are forgetting that you are comparing a GT which is made to rev at 7K and just beyond. The top speed you can achieve with that car stock is what, 160 ish? So in fifth for you, the speed increases differently and you are trying to approach top speed without being at complete redline. The GT500 is a different motor with the power its pushing its not as rev happy. Secondly it is capable of hitting 200mph, so in fifth gear its not near 7K rpm's at it reaches that speed. Thus the "over-rev" feature will not kick in. The feature is really meant more for as you are blasting through the gears drag racing or road racing where you would reach the 7K redline. For me I usually shift around 6700 at most to be safe, but mostly around 6K

railroad

Established Member
If your mechanic has not already checked, make sure the pcv system on the passenger side is not obstucted, ie pcv valve stuck closed, hose pinched or collapsed. You might be able to pull the valve cover, there should be a baffle to prevent raw oil from entering the vent lines. Good luck.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You might be able to pull the valve cover, there should be a baffle to prevent raw oil from entering the vent lines. Good luck.

2013GT500ValveCover-Underside2.gif

Hungdaknees

Established Member
Finally got it fixed

well was running high flow cats on the car and took them off and put off road x pipe on have more flow so it lower my boost from 18 down to 16 and now it is not doing the random misfire

Users who are viewing this thread