engine light flashing at high speed

Hungdaknees

Established Member
I was in 4th gear running about 160 and the engine light came on and was flashing started to slow down then it went off around 60 . I pulled over and plugged in the programmer and check for any codes and nothing showed up never happened before any ideas what could cause this or how to find out what is making it flash???

Snoopy49

Established Member
At 160 in 4th, you would probably be into the restricted RPM zone.

ENGINE OVER-REV
Note: Engine torque and maximum rpm are limited until coolant temperature reaches 170°F (77°C). Warm up is indicated when the redline indicator band starting point changes from 6250 rpm to 7000 rpm.
Your vehicle is equipped with an over-rev feature to increase the performance range of your Shelby GT500. When conditions permit, over-rev is indicated on the tachometer with redline marked at 7000 rpm. If conditions limit over-rev accessibility, the band is illuminated red from 6250 rpm to 7000 rpm.
Once the engine is warm, the over-rev feature allows eight seconds above 6250 rpm up to 7000 rpm. If the eight second time limit is exceeded, the maximum engine rpm is reduced to 6250 rpm until both of the following occurs:
• Engine is operated for at least 15 seconds below 6000 rpm
• Engine rpm falls below 5000 rpm.
Do not operate the engine at high rpm and low load for sustained periods of time, as damage may occur.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It was telling you to go faster. :beer:

I've never heard of that happening.

Snoopy, you're the man. Do you have the manual memorized?

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Flashing engine light means misfire. No code means it didn't misfire enough times to set a hard code. What are your plugs gapped at?

Snoopy49

Established Member
It was telling you to go faster. :beer:

I've never heard of that happening.

Snoopy, you're the man. Do you have the manual memorized?

I had to wait 8 months for my car. So I had plenty of time to download the pdf manual and read it, plus every time someone would ask a question, I would look through the manual to see it had the answer.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Flashing engine light means misfire. No code means it didn't misfire enough times to set a hard code. What are your plugs gapped at?

From the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual - Page 95

Service Engine Soon
The service engine soon indicator light illuminates when the ignition is first turned to the on position to check the bulb and to indicate whether the vehicle is ready for Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) testing. Normally, the service engine soon light will stay on until the engine is cranked, then turn itself off if no malfunctions are present. However, if after 15 seconds the service engine soon light blinks eight times, it means that the vehicle is not ready for I/M testing. See the Readiness for Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) testing in the Fuel and Refueling chapter.

Solid illumination after the engine is started indicates the on-board diagnostics system (OBD-II) has detected a malfunction. See On-board Diagnostics (OBD-II) in the Fuel and Refueling chapter. If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced immediately by your authorized dealer.

WARNING: Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly
causing a fire.

Last edited:

Hungdaknees

Established Member
was not over-rev and it was warmed up been driving for the last 2 hours was 83 degrees out

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
160 on a public road ?.... its the car telling you that your not too intelligent for driving that way. be careful man, u dont want to hurt you, your nice gt500 or another person.

one of my friends got hit by someone driving a vette fast like that so that hits home for me.... not trying to insult you but lets just say he is missing a body part now because of the accident. Just be careful man. got to a track or something.

did you scan for codes?? Could be a knock sensor or something in the tune.

nix5o

Established Member
I think you want to gap the plugs down to about .025 depending on your boost level?

Hungdaknees

Established Member
I understand the risk it was me and another going down the road no one else was around
My boost is at 17
did check for codes and nothing came up

Van@RevanRacing

There could be hard codes that the SCT scanner won't pick up that can be read by and IDS Scan tool. Sounds like misfire protection as described above. I'd put in new plugs and gap at .030

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
To the OP: Try closing the gap on the plugs to .028 and see if it helps. If you have access to a Ford IDS tool or someone with a Snap On scanner, you can read the misfire counts and see if it was a specific cylinder or a random misfire.

lethal

Established Member
To the OP: Try closing the gap on the plugs to .028 and see if it helps. If you have access to a Ford IDS tool or someone with a Snap On scanner, you can read the misfire counts and see if it was a specific cylinder or a random misfire.

Racerat! OMG Tracy, is that you? Long time since the days of waiting around for the 03's to show up. Still remember your sonic blue vert =) Hope you've been well.

John / lethal

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Racerat! OMG Tracy, is that you? Long time since the days of waiting around for the 03's to show up. Still remember your sonic blue vert =) Hope you've been well.

John / lethal
haha...yeah, no kidding!

I still have the vert. She sits and looks pretty while I go out and break stuff in the Boss now.

Love the color choice on your '14!

Hungdaknees

Established Member
I turned the key on did not start it and it blinked 7 times dont know what that means i looked all through the book. only thing it said in there about blinking is engine soon light blinks eight times, it means that the vehicle is not ready for I/M testing

Snoopy49

Established Member
There could be hard codes that the SCT scanner won't pick up that can be read by and IDS Scan tool. Sounds like misfire protection as described above. I'd put in new plugs and gap at .030

Van,
What plugs and heat range would you recommend for the OP?

Hungdaknees

Established Member
Well took car to dealer said misfiring on 3 cyclinders the said also that had to put catch can on driver side cause oil got all over the mass air flow. Well changed out plugs again mass air flow and coils and still miss firing. It doesn't really start to misfire until you get up n the higher rmps anything over 4000 then it starts to get bad. Any help on this one???

USV8PWR

Established Member
Well took car to dealer said misfiring on 3 cyclinders the said also that had to put catch can on driver side cause oil got all over the mass air flow. Well changed out plugs again mass air flow and coils and still miss firing. It doesn't really start to misfire until you get up n the higher rmps anything over 4000 then it starts to get bad. Any help on this one???

The dealer installed a catch can?? What did they use for the catch can and did they say to run in permanently? Also, did they pay for it? :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread