Engine Cooling Options

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
What have you guys that are making big power doing for upgrading your cooling systems? After losing my stock engine, I'm now in the process of putting together my new build and am very paranoid about the idea of losing this new built engine when it goes in. With all the money I have invested, I feel there is absolutely no point in cutting corners now because it may end up costing me a lot more in the long run....

I've been looking around and reading a lot over the past couple of days regarding ways to improve both engine coolant cooling and engine oil cooling. There is a fair bit of information available regarding coolant system improvements, but I have found very little regarding aftermarket oil cooling options.

Obviously an aftermarket radiator is going to be the biggest single improvement that can be made here. It seems that the LFP is a very nice piece and at a cost of <$400 it is a very reasonable upgrade. But since I am turbo'd, I still find myself wondering about oil temperatures. If the coolant cooling system is overbuilt, can one rely on the factory oil cooler to keep oil temperatures under control?

If anyone has used external oil coolers or if they have remote mounted their oil filter, could you please chime in with feedback and install pictures? I'm definitely considering doing one of the two because it will make the installation of my newly acquired Canton Accumusump oil accumulator all that more easy. Like this:

accusump.jpg

Well anyways I'm really just looking for any helpful information in my quest to make a car with big power that hopefully wont blow up.

faststang14

Established Member
what have you guys that are making big power doing for upgrading your cooling systems? After losing my stock engine, i'm now in the process of putting together my new build and am very paranoid about the idea of losing this new built engine when it goes in. With all the money i have invested, i feel there is absolutely no point in cutting corners now because it may end up costing me a lot more in the long run....

I've been looking around and reading a lot over the past couple of days regarding ways to improve both engine coolant cooling and engine oil cooling. There is a fair bit of information available regarding coolant system improvements, but i have found very little regarding aftermarket oil cooling options.

Obviously an aftermarket radiator is going to be the biggest single improvement that can be made here. It seems that the lfp is a very nice piece and at a cost of <$400 it is a very reasonable upgrade. But since i am turbo'd, i still find myself wondering about oil temperatures. If the coolant cooling system is overbuilt, can one rely on the factory oil cooler to keep oil temperatures under control?

If anyone has used external oil coolers or if they have remote mounted their oil filter, could you please chime in with feedback and install pictures? I'm definitely considering doing one of the two because it will make the installation of my newly acquired canton accumusump oil accumulator all that more easy. Like this:

accusump.gif

well anyways i'm really just looking for any helpful information in my quest to make a car with big power that hopefully wont blow up.

your diagram shows as a air to oil cooler which its not as much efficenssy as ur current water cooled. U want safer tempetures?

- for oil: Bigger oil pan, royal purple oil (if money avalible sump style system)
- for coolant: 3 core radiator, water wetter, big aluminum coolant reservoir, lower temp thermostat.
- for air: Methanol injection. (mr freeze, aem, i cant recall the other brand that uses an electric pump) or bigger core intercooler

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I should have mentioned that I already have a Canton oil pan, windage tray and coolant tank. Well I guess I should just get an LFP radiator (and the reische thermostat) and be done with cooling system..

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I still have a hard time believing that the stock oil cooler is more efficient than an air to oil heat exchanger.... And even if it was, adding an air cooler could be done in addition to the stock oil cooler, so it really wouldn't make things worse.

Although I was somewhat contemplating the elimination of the stock oil cooler. After reading what the roadtrack/oval racing guys have said, many people agree that the stock oil cooler is a huge restriction in the coolant system. Because of this some racing guys actually recommended against installing an aftermarket coolant pump because in the higher rpm range, if you run a pump with more output than the stocker flow will be restricted enough to the point where cavitation will start to occur.

Really I guess since I won't be road racing my car this probably doesn't really apply to me, but it was good food for thought.

Does anyone know of someone running this block off plate for the 4V:

!BSrzk3wBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(0GPBKEbYUSt)!~~_1.JPG

(From this ebay auction: 2001, 2003, 2004 SVT COBRA CUSTOM OIL BLOCK ADAPTOR 5.4:eBay Motors (item 260412991114 end time Jun-17-09 12:25:09 PDT) )

It eliminates the stock oil cooler and makes it so you have to remote mount the oil filter and add a cooler if you want. It seems like an interesting idea but I don't know if it would benefit me and would be worth the effort. Like I mentioned earlier it would also make my accusump install much easier which is one of the biggest reasons I have been looking into oil cooling options...

Users who are viewing this thread