poor block
IMG_1708.gif

damn gina
IMG_1710.gif

:fm::fm::fm:

Last edited:

1Nastycobra

Established Member
ouch!! thats about the worst possible scenerio when blowing a motor..worst comes to worst, u can always get a used 4v motor, or you can use that money, save up and buy a nice shortblock :)

pixlix

Established Member
That block is still good just add some mighty putty and your set lol

BradJ

Established Member
Its embarrassing to say...turned the ignition to on while I had fuel lines disconnected (was cleaning imrc) to download the stock pcm for tuning, forgot I had the lines disconnected and a bunch of fuel spilled into the head / cylinder. I gave it like 4 days to evaporate, plus cranked it a few times with the fuel pump fuse out, yet when I went to start it up there was a very loud explosion, like there was pooled fuel in the cylinder that detonated. This is the aftermath

crazycarlo

Established Member
good news is that 96-98 motors can be had pretty cheap. I paid $500 for each one of the ones Ive had. Complete shortblocks.

BraMas

Established Member
I was thinking maybe JB weld?
Would you believe that when I bought my car it came with a "freshly rebuilt motor" that I just needed to put in. So I put it in and started it and it made lots of noise. So I pulled it back out and found that they had threw rod (not as bad as your) and they had fixed it with JB weld or at least attempted to

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh wow, I winced when I saw that! Did you race the car? I ask because if you did maybe consider installing a built motor. If you don't need a built motor as mentioned above, short blocks for your '96 are pretty inexpensive. Too bad this happened. You certainly weren't looking for an engine headache.

BradJ

Established Member
Oh wow, I winced when I saw that! Did you race the car? I ask because if you did maybe consider installing a built motor. If you don't need a built motor as mentioned above, short blocks for your '96 are pretty inexpensive. Too bad this happened. You certainly weren't looking for an engine headache.

Nah, never raced the car...barely drive it...only has 30k orig miles on it! However I will definitely be putting a built motor in there. :burnout: I couldn't bring myself to put a used motor in there...just wouldn't seem right

crazycarlo

Established Member
Haha they are only new before u crank them up man. But goodluck and keep us updated on what u plan to do with the car.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I woulda thought that was a high rpm explosion, not while just cranking, wow thats bad, sorry you got some bad luck but at least you can build a new motor now. I suggest thinking about upgrading to c heads

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
OP Ive done something similar..Before I had my blower retuned I took it out for some fun. I was shooting too much fuel and fouled the plugs.. Put new plugs in and bam, blew the intake off the top of the motor..

Users who are viewing this thread