Engine Build

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
Call it a fantasy, but I am looking to have an engine built to put in to my Cobra... Original has 200,000 on it and I know it won't hold up to what I want to put it through. I am looking to build a very, very powerful car and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with a good engine builder. I want to stick with a 4V DOHC modular... What I am interested to find out is what is a good way to go? I am looking to go with an aluminum block I am sure, actually looking at a Sean Hyland Race shortblock they say it will handle 1600HP. Does anyone have any experience with SHM products? Another question is what is better for performance the FR500 heads or stock 03/04 Cobra heads, or is there another option? I want to run the Hellion Hellraiser Twin Turbo system and I am already looking at the new Aeromotive Eliminator Stealth System with the sumped tank and a Sullivan intake. Any advice as far as ignition system? Does anyone have experience with the F.A.S.T. engine management system? I understand that this ECU is able to control better injectors.... Is there anything I am forgetting?

mystical

Established Member
A lot of horror stories about SHM. I would recommend Modular Performance.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
modular performance

A stock intake works much better than the Sullivan; more low, mid and upper rpm power 7k and under). It also gets the turbos spooling much faster.

Heads, the FR500 heads are good for n/a but not FI, go with 03/04s.

Injection system?? Stick with the stock computer and ignition.

96-98 cams work great in turbos.

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
I've got a fully built race engine built by pauls automotive in Cincinnati, OH that I'm willing to part with for the right price. I have all receipts from the build, I will include my na svt short runner intake, imrc deletes and gasket matched gaskets accufab single blade throttle body and all accessories.
The heads were completely redone and was given a race port and polish.
All the bells a whistles

Lmk

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Livernois Motorsports in Michigan. I've been contemplating buying their aluminum stroker shortblock, on sale for $4400 and handles 1000hp. They are known for being a very good shop, even do some factory work with Ford. The owner is actually on this site, Rick@livernois or something like that.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Livernois Motorsports in Michigan. I've been contemplating buying their aluminum stroker shortblock, on sale for $4400 and handles 1000hp. They are known for being a very good shop, even do some factory work with Ford. The owner is actually on this site, Rick@livernois or something like that.

I beleive Dan Millen is the owner.

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
I don't want to be rude but if I wanted financial advice I wouldn't be posting on a gearhead forum. My car is the only one I want, I have had it forever and I only want my car. If I wanted a something crazy and didn't want to spend too much I would buy something else i.e. GT500KR... I have bought cars already done and it isn't the same, I have done all the mods on my car myself so there is more the money invested in my car.. There's blood and sweat, time and energy... its not about money

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread