Engine Build, looking for insight

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Well I thought I had the dreaded tick but what I found was quite a bit worse. Dropped the motor out and pulled the heads and found that the #7 piston got a lil bit too warm. So I pulled the whole motor down and took it to a trusted machine shop in my area. Im looking to see what most guys here are running for pistons, rings, bearings and anything else someone feels like giving out. For now heres what im looking at having done.

JE pistons @ .030 over

Childs & Albert ZGS rings

Stock Rods

Stock Crank

Im thinkin Clevite Bearings

Maybe stage 3 cams

Once again any info or insight on this would be appreciated. Ive kinda been searching around but cant find much on what kinda tolerances I should be looking into and how far our blocks are good to be bored out too. Id appreciate any info, thanks Dan.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Anybody??? Cant get JE in the compression that I want so going with Probes for now @ 8.6:1

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
JE forged pistons are good, I would change the pistons as well, usually the weak point on these cars. Also a cooling mod, and change them valve guides and maybe some head work also. Cams are just too expensive, but if you have the dough then do it. These cars, like others sounds sick with a lope.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea I was originally thinking of going with an aluminator but the block is good along with the crank and rods. Even the heads are good but since its aparts its still gettin revised heads and maybe cams. Undecided on that, along with the tubular k-member. I think ill make up that 70 lbs with stage 3 cams and 22 lbs and a 50 shot to cool the blower.

bigmoose

Established Member
Yea I was originally thinking of going with an aluminator but the block is good along with the crank and rods. Even the heads are good but since its aparts its still gettin revised heads and maybe cams. Undecided on that, along with the tubular k-member. I think ill make up that 70 lbs with stage 3 cams and 22 lbs and a 50 shot to cool the blower.

or you could do that AND an aluminum block! extra power isn't going to make up for handling. the more weight off the nose the better.

Users who are viewing this thread