engin break in

Kennytgnewedge

Established Member
Ok i have a brand spakin new mmr 1000. 4.75 stock heads stock eaton 9 to 1 compresion. Iv never had a new moter and i dont want to ruin it of course. Iv done a bit of research and i pretty mutch get it. Regular driving medium to high loads. No steady rpm so on.. is ther any extra info i should kno ? Iv put alot of money in this thing and id rather b safe than sorry. Any info will be majiorly appreciated. Like wat kind of oil ?. I bought synthetic royal purp. 5w 30 but i didnt put it in yet. Thank you svtp :D

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
yeah ive always done some good break in oil, want to really go through the full power band, nothing difficult, just monitor gauges and check for leaks, also the first couple heat cycles might make some bolts loosen so check them. i havent done this on a mod motor but have done alot of sbf's shouldnt be really different, this is when to most wear will occur so oil change in near future is a must.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
do not put synthetic oil in until at least 1000 miles in. it's too slick and won't allow the rings to break in properly. also- what type of rings do you have? if stainless they require a different break in procedure. my suggestion is to prime the oil system and use break in oil (brad penn, joe gibbs, comp etc): start car: burp coolant: dump oil: refill oil and run for 500 miles: dump oil: refill and run for 500 miles: dump oil: refill with synthetic and you're done.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
wait- I forgot something...
Why the hell don't you ask the people who built and warranty your motor- so that if it fails after following their break in guidelines you're still covered?

Kennytgnewedge

Established Member
wait- I forgot something...
Why the hell don't you ask the people who built and warranty your motor- so that if it fails after following their break in guidelines you're still covered?

Lol you ar completly right. Idk y i didnt think of that.:smmon: thats deffinitly the best idea. Well thank you for yalls time sorry. The most obvious t
hings tend to slip my mind.. lol

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I would break it in by how the shop tells you. Personally I feel you should break it in by how you would normally drive the car.

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
MMR will have their break-in procedure in with the packing slip that comes with the crate.

Quagmire

Established Member
OEMS, have 1 hour break in on dyno, before they release it, this is comparable to 500 miles of driving. Rings don't truly set until about 50 engine hours.

SlowSVT

Established Member
On a street engine you expect to get many miles on I would follow the same break-in advice every OEM recommends. Easy on the throttle for the first 1000 mi, lots of heat cycles on petroleum based oil. Change the oil after 100 - 200 miles to inspect for debris.

After 1000 miles show no mercy! :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread