• $1,500 - $3,000

Votes: 49 19.4%
  • $3,000 - $5,000

Votes: 39 15.4%
  • $5,000 - $10,000

Votes: 66 26.1%
  • $10,000 +

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • 3 Months Salary (I'm traditional) - And NO; You cannot know how much $$ I make

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • What's a hoop? - Bachelor for life!

Votes: 32 12.6%

• Total voters

Black0ut

Established Member
To the engaged and married guys out there. Time for a poll. I know this has been brought up to some capacity in the past but didn't see anything in the search that had input on how much you fellas actually spent.

Let see how much coin you spent, did you save forever, was she happy?

Essentially I'm looking to see if the big bucks spent paid off in the long run (ie. she gets compliments on the ring all the time. All the money and saving paid off and she loves it)

or

I broke the bank, she flipped when I gave it to her, friends freaked out for a couple days and now you look back and think why the heck did I spend all that cash for a couple days of praise, attention (and maybe a couple gummers :lol1:)

It seems from what I'm hearing with the current generation that unless you're loaded, no one is really doing the 3 months salary / $10,000 rings anymore.

:burn:-suit on but I'll be popping the question very soon, I've waited and pushed it off for long enough as she hasn't put the pressure on but now I'm getting it from all sides. Her, her family, my family, my grandparents especially!

Disclaimer: We've been together for 5 years and lived together since about day one so we are already very much "married" but she definitely wants to at least be engaged and sport the ring.

So enough about me (even though this thread really is for me and some others who are interested I'm sure) so lets hear all the stories (horror or otherwise).

Last edited:

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Honestly don't go out and sell the farm to get a ring... I spent right around $6,500 and I got a beautiful ring. over 1 carrot with two small diamonds on each side... Had to whip out the negotiation skills which saved me about 1500 off the retail price. Don't spend over 10k as I feel thats a complete waste of money.

spike_africa

Established Member
I haven't given it to her yet, but I have about $5,000 in my ring. I plan to give it to her on V day. However my situation is very special. My father is a jeweler and thus I got a great deal on a stone, and then had a band custom made for me. Total cost for me was about $1,750.00 If you want to buy what I have its a $5,000.00 package.

Thank god for my parents!

I just hope my proposal goes well.

Bronze123

Established Member
Was 3,800 with wedding band. 14k white gold, about 1.5k worth of diamonds. I initially wanted about a 2k ring but found the right one. Just saved and use tax return, bonuses, and etc to pay it off.

And congrats, btw!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I spent just shy of 7000 on the ring. I did not spend the traditional 3 months salary (which when I was growing up was 1 month salary...funny how that works). I wouldn't have been able to stomach paying that much.

I purchased the ring my fiancee really wanted. She made some not so subtle hints about the one she wanted. I just went and picked it up. Made life super easy.

As far as it being worth it, I feel that it really was. She got exactly the ring she wanted and there is certainly some ring envy that goes on. Additionally, because of the amount spent, she doesn't run in to other people that have the same ring as she does.

Black0ut

Established Member
I haven't given it to her yet, but I have about $5,000 in my ring. I plan to give it to her on V day. However my situation is very special. My father is a jeweler and thus I got a great deal on a stone, and then had a band custom made for me. Total cost for me was about $1,750.00 If you want to buy what I have its a $5,000.00 package.

Thank god for my parents!

I just hope my proposal goes well.

Best of luck! Thanks for the reply! Now to find a friend in the jewelry business ;-)

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I got a 1.5 carat diamond for $1,800. She loved it and so did all her friends but I think it's 50% ring 50% presentation. Put some effort into how/when you pop the question.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I spent roughly $6,500 on her ring. 1 single carat ring, with 3/8's worth of diamonds on the side of it. Between her engagement ring and band, she got just shy of 2 carats worth.

I am only doing this once, so, I wanted to make it count.

jrandy

Established Member
I spent a good portion of money on the wife's ring. I did it for a few reasons.

One, it should always at least hold its value. Two, I wanted her to have something to be proud of. In her profession (cosmetologist), people are unfortunately very judgmental and superficial. She also works towards a wealthier area.

Also, in a way, a women's ring is a reflection of her man.

The main decision that you will have to make is whether she wants a large cheaper diamond, or smaller, cleaner diamond. My wife preferred a smaller diamond, with a great color and a VS1.

With that being said, she would have been happy with a $100 ring from any chain jewelry store. I have absolutely no regrets with what I spent or the design I got for her.

BriansZ

Established Member
Well, I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary so it's been a while. I spent $3,500 on the engagement ring and $1,800 for the two wedding bands. Back then I was an E-5 in the military and my wife was just out of college making under $30k/yr. so we didn't have a lot, but our expenses were low as well (I miss paying $385/mo for rent).

Black0ut

Established Member
I spent a good portion of money on the wife's ring. I did it for a few reasons.

One, it should always at least hold its value. Two, I wanted her to have something to be proud of. In her profession (cosmetologist), people are unfortunately very judgmental and superficial. She also works towards a wealthier area.

Also, in a way, a women's ring is a reflection of her man.

The main decision that you will have to make is whether she wants a large cheaper diamond, or smaller, cleaner diamond. My wife preferred a smaller diamond, with a great color and a VS1.

With that being said, she would have been happy with a $100 ring from any chain jewelry store. I have absolutely no regrets with what I spent or the design I got for her.

Couple things to touch on here. I haven't really thought about your first point as I was wrapped up in how her and her friends, family would feel about it.

You're definitely on point about how it reflects on the man. I'll keep that in mind.

You're also the first to speak on cut and quality of the stone as opposed to carat. Does the VS1 with good color stand out noticeably on your wife's?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
My wife only has one ring. A very plain and simple band with 5 small diamonds on it. IIRC it was less than $250. My band was more than hers. She likes simple and she even picked this band out.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
my first marriage we spent $6,750 on her engagement ring alone. i dont remeber how much the band was. My set was about 600

we didnt spend near that on this marriage. her rings were just under a grand for the set. mine was about 200. i love it, its a dark gunmetal grey with comfort band.

ViciousJay

Established Member
got mine at a whole sale diamond market downtown chicago. I also paid cash. I got mine for 4300 out the door and got it appraised for double! which was a WIN WIN for me. Her wedding ring i just got her we got for 900

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
if memory serves me correctly, my damage was right around 7K. but believe me, she's worth every penny!!!!!!!!!

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
My fiancee has worked at a jewelry store part time for several years.. so I was ****ed. The rock was only .96c, but clarity, color and cut are what she looks at, and that's where the $ is, but fortunately the store owner gave me a good deal. What would have been a 5k$ stone, I got for 3400.

If you're looking to learn about the 4 Cs, google Blue Nile...(LMGTFY.... http://www.bluenile.com/). That website has a wealth of information about diamonds and gives you an idea of cost.

Last edited:

jrandy

Established Member
You're also the first to speak on cut and quality of the stone as opposed to carat. Does the VS1 with good color stand out noticeably on your wife's?

IMO yes it does. Go check out a few diamonds next to each other and see the differences.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My wife only has one ring. A very plain and simple band with 5 small diamonds on it. IIRC it was less than $250. My band was more than hers. She likes simple and she even picked this band out.

My story is very similar to yours, except I spend $600. This was both our second marriages though. Been there, done that on the one I bought for the ex.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Couple things to touch on here. I haven't really thought about your first point as I was wrapped up in how her and her friends, family would feel about it.

You're definitely on point about how it reflects on the man. I'll keep that in mind.

As a rule, you should buy the best quality diamond that you can afford. They will hold more value. One thing about jewelry is it doesn't tend to depreciate as long as it's maintained. So having some value there doesn't hurt.

Here's a diamond quality chart. You have to look at more than just the quality of the diamond. You need to also look at the clarity, cut and color of the diamond.

With that said, as long as it sparkles, your fiancee probably isn't going to care. You can't see inclusions with the naked eye. So cut and color are going to be what produces the brilliance you can see. Everything else is just pricing up the stone. You have to determine what is best for you and your fiancee.

musclefan21

Established Member
i spent 5k. diamond was just a little over 5k and they gave me a few hundreds bucks off.

Users who are viewing this thread