Encounter with a bad cop

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
This happened about 3 years ago but I thought that civilians and cops both might learn a lesson from it. Its kind of long but the detail are important. It shows how to handle things when the LEO is bad.

I bought my son a new Mustang GT in the summer of 2007 as a graduation present and a college car. It has a body kit on it and is very aggressive looking. He was stopped 3 times and not ticketed in the first 2 months and not ticketed any time and the first two times he was not told the reason he was stopped. We live in a small suburb of Dallas and Fort Worth. The 2nd time he was stopped he was stopped about two houses from my home. The officer that stopped him finally said he could leave. The K9 officer had just arrived on scene and was in the process of shining his flash light into my son's girlfriend's eyes and looking into the car. My son got into the car and drove off [the first officer told him he could leave] leaving the K9 officer standing there with his flash light in hand.

I "think" that pissed the K9 officer off a little.

I have two videos from the police cars on the following.

About two weeks later my son drives passed the police station and stops at the next red light. His front left tire was on the white painted cross walk stripe. The Camery next to him was completely across the crosswalk. There are no pedestrians around. The K9 officer pulls behind him and turns on his lights. My son pulls over. The officer calls TWO more police cars to the scene. A second policeman stands with my son and his male friend while the K9 officer has his dog circle the car sniffing for drugs. My son and his friend are very respectful during the stop and say yes sir no sir etc. My son called me and told me he was getting stopped and I told him to leave the speaker phone on and I listened to the stop.

The officer ran his dog around the car three times and the dog did nothing. The officer then placed himself on the drivers side of the car between the police car camera and the dog and out of view of my son on the opposite side of the car. Then he "says" the dog got a scent of drugs and began to search the car.

My son had been at a party the previous night and was returning to its owner a Hooka [no not a bong] that they had smoked tobacco in the night before. The Hooka was in the trunk. The Hooka was in a box complete with packs of Hooka tobacco. The K9 officer came over to my son that was peaceably standing with the 2nd officer and said he had found a bong in my son's car. My son said "No sir that is a Hooka used for tobacco. The officer screams at my son to hang up the phone my son says "Dad i think I'm getting arrested" and hung up the phone. The officer read my son his rights and handcuffed him. He placed him in the police car and turned the AC off on the hot summer evening with the windows rolled up.

My wife and I went to the scene. The guys boss was standing with my son's friend. The 3rd officer takes over with the friend and the 2nd officer a lieutenant and the K9 officers supervisor comes over to talk to my wife and I. He told us they had found a Bong in my son's car. I was shocked because I knew my son was anti-drugs and had abandoned old friends when they started using drugs. I watched as the officer examined the Hooka box and Hooka. I told the Lieutenant it wasn't a bong but rather a legal hooka.

I'm an ER doc and my wife is the Court reporter of the Chief Justice of the Northern District of Texas for over 25 years. They same district any civil rights violation complaint against the officer would be filed in. My wife's judge has known my son his entire life.

Anyway we both told them we did not believe our son used drugs. The K9 officer came over I talked with him and said it was a Hooka and asked if he tested it for residue. He said no. He tested it and it was negative. He then said he saw "Shakes" in the driver side rear floor board. He went and "tested" them. [This was a 2 month old car and no one had ever ridden in the back seat of the car.] He came back from testing the "shakes" and started talking with the lieutenant and my wife and I and didn't mention the results. About 3-4 minutes later I asked him what he found . His eyes darted to the ground and he said they were positive and probably came from the pocket of one of my son's friends.

The lieutenant and the K9 office went out of hearing range to talk. From the video's audio track: K9 officer "here is the thing....here is the thing" Lieutenant: Microphones! "Click" the audio goes dead. They come back with microphones turned on and tell us the MJ found was not enough to prosecute and they let my son go advising us to vacume his car out good.

We left as soon as possible.

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
The resolution

We took the hooka to its owner and went home me driving.

When we got home I took a flash light and removed every small particle from the rear floor board of the near pristine carpet. There were a few particles of some reddish and green matter. I looked at them under a microscope and the appear to be crepe myrtle blooms which makes sense because my son parked his car under a large crepe myrtle tree on our property. I had them tested by a drug officer in the small town I do ER work in. He said they did not look like MJ and tested negative. I also tested them on the hospital analyzer again negative.

I bought the two videos from the two police cars and analyzed them. $7.00 each from the police department.

As my son's car was being sniffed by the dog my son asked the lieutenant standing with him at that time what the dog did if it found something. The lieutenant said the dog would sit down. Well the K9 officer parked hit butt between the camera and the dog at the moment he said the dog got a drug sniff. BUT the dog's tail was clearly visible and the dog never sat down.

My son and his friend both volunteered tome to be drug tested the next day. Both tested at a national lab were negative.

I believe they used the dog as a ruse to illegally search my son's car.

My neighbor has known my son for over 13 years . My neighbor, a motorcycle guy and a civilian, had raised over $250K the year before for a motorcycle office with a terminal brain tumor in our town. They did golf tournaments, poker tournaments, motorcycle rides T-shirts and corporate contributions.

My neighbor sent me to the Major. I showed him both videos and the fact that the dog never sat down and the results of all the drug test. I told him I was tired of the stops without cause and if my son had been taken to jail and I had to hire a lawyer I would be taking action in Federal Court for violating my son's civil rights with the evidence I had. At this point though I was only interested in the K9 officer not illegally searching cars and that my son not being stopped for no reason. I told him that my son is no angel and a stop for speeding would not surprise me one little bit.

I told the Major the only reason for turning the microphones off that I could think of was to prevent me and him from hearing the truth.

He said "Its obvious the your son isn't the problem here."
I suggested that if he got reports from the K9 officers of searches with no tickets issued and reports of "shakes" then he should review the videos on those stops. He said he would and would get back with me in about a month.

About three months later he called me and told me the K9 officer was no longer working in our city. Off the record I was told they reviewed several videos and found similar behavior. [Asked to leave or be fired... he left]

Lessons learned

1. Don't drive around with a Hooka in your car it may be legal but its stupid.

2. Always always be polite at the scene with a police officer even you believe he is in the wrong.

3. If you believe he is in the wrong GET THE VIDEOS.

4. Get ALL THE VIDEOS if there is more than one police car.

5. Go to his boss and be polite but firm.

6. Have all your ducks in a row when you talk to the boss.

7. Don't park on the white cross walk stripes. :lol:

8. If the K9 officer in Grand Prairie Texas stops you be careful because that is where he works now.

9. Remember most LEO's are good guys just doing a needed job and its guys like the K9 officer that gives them a bad name.

Last edited:

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
I'm an ER doc and my wife is the Court reporter of the Chief Justice of the Northern District of Texas for over 25 years. They same district any civil rights violation complaint against the officer would be filed in. My wife's judge has known my son his entire life.

Still trying to figure out what relevence this has to anything.

Edit: Cool story bro

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
good procedure for taking out one of those "I'm above the law" cops that give the good ones a bad name.

For officers such as this k-9 officer, It's all about POWER!

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
The police should NOT have the option to turn off their audio...period!

People that have nothing to hide, hide NOTHING. If the audio gets shut off something shady is about to go down.

You will soon have all the nutswinging leo's in here telling you how "police don't retaliate" blah, blah, blah.......now you and your family know better.

Just a couple of questions:

1) did you identify yourself as an ER doctor?

2) Did your wife identify herself as the court reporter for a sitting local judge?

Glad you had the RIGHT outcome. Hard to believe this happens in the United States.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Still trying to figure out what relevence this has to anything.

Edit: Cool story bro

Because the K( officer would have to be in court with a Judge she works for or has substituted for on the past. My son has been at several sentencing since he was pretty young. We did that to help teach him the consequences of bad decisions.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
The police should NOT have the option to turn off their audio...period!

People that have nothing to hide, hide NOTHING. If the audio gets shut off something shady is about to go down.

You will soon have all the nutswinging leo's in here telling you how "police don't retaliate" blah, blah, blah.......now you and your family know better.

Just a couple of questions:

1) did you identify yourself as an ER doctor?

2) Did your wife identify herself as the court reporter for a sitting local judge?

Glad you had the RIGHT outcome. Hard to believe this happens in the United States.

Yes and it made a noticeable difference in the K9 and the Lieutenant's behaviors. It was shortly after that they mentioned "shakes" and walked off to talk to themselves with the microphones.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
glad you got that all straightened out.

sounds like an asshole cop. we have had some winners here in the last few years. but they seem to be weeding most of them out. and getting back to good guys as good guys.

We had one Highway patrol that kidnapped a walmart truck driver and was going to crash the walmart truck into his wifes car and kill her then sue walmart and get millions for them killing his wife.

During that investigation they found that him and 2 other highway troopers had been smuggling steriods from mexico.

Then we had two city cops taze a 76 year old man because he took the wrong route on his tractor during a parade. they are no longer cops here.

Then the chief of police in a nearby town was fired for having sex with a 15 year old girl that was doing ride alongs with him.

this is all in a state with less than half a million people.

glad they got rid of those ****ers.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Still trying to figure out what rule I broke in the Donut Forum :shrug: This is a direct issue on how to conduct yourself with the police.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
probably the title Bad Cop lol\
don't worry i got an infraction a whileback as well for it.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Still trying to figure out what rule I broke in the Donut Forum :shrug: This is a direct issue on how to conduct yourself with the police.

The donut shop isn't for posting stories involving police, it's for asking questions related to LEOs and the law.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Yes and it made a noticeable difference in the K9 and the Lieutenant's behaviors. It was shortly after that they mentioned "shakes" and walked off to talk to themselves with the microphones.

See? Those dumbshits were ready to wrongfully put the screws to your son til they were informed of who your wife worked for and realized they would get screwed themselves. So they turned off the mikes so they can come up with plan B.

Like I said, people that have nothing to hide, hide nothing.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
It was about violation of a civil right against unreasonable search. But oh well the law is the law.....:lol1:

Honestly you're wasting your time in the donut shop, certain people in there have a very skewed view and disdain for U.S. citizens and their rights and will only defend police to the end be it right or wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread