Employer relocated...longer commute

08mojo

Established Member
Is there any flexibility in your hours? I live 10 miles from work. If I leave early, before the traffic it's a 20 minute commute. If I leave at the peak of traffic, it's a 1.5 hour commute (each way). Luckily, my job allows me to come in early and leave early. I'm typically in my office by 6:30 and out the door by 3:30.

Make your drive better by giving yourself something to drive that you may enjoy more and/or improve.

If you mean a more fun, faster car that doesn't work in gridlock traffic. It actually makes the drive more frustrating!

If I were you I'd do something to make your drive a little more pleasant. Maybe upgrade your head unit and speakers or get satellite radio.

^This. Find a way to make the drive more entertaining/a way to tune out the traffic.

I've been driving an hour each way for almost 21 years, I have no sympathy.

I've had one hour commutes for most of my life. A one-hour drive in normal traffic conditions is easy and can be relaxing. A one-hour drive in gridlock traffic is anything but relaxing--it ****ing sucks.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I use to drive 1 hour and 15 minutes 1 way every day for 4 years. The pay sucked but I loved the people I worked with. I am now doing the same job 20 mins from home with more money. Im happy with my move but, apart of me wishes I was still at my old place.

MaxxdSVT

Established Member
Commuting sucks! Used to drive 1-2hrs each way into NYC for 10yrs. Made a career change to my place now in nj 10mins from home. Best thing I ever did! Took a $15/hr paycut and lemme tell u that it made no difference in my family's lifestyle due to commuting costs. Now I make way more than I ever did and would never even imagine anything longer than 15min commute

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coiled03

Established Member
The background: 3 years ago I left an Company A to seek more money and advancement, which did not pan out. I did this 2 more times within those 3 years. I was decently paid, however I was very unhappy with the positions. I ultimately wished to be back with Company A. After some time, my old manager reached out to me and said he had an opportunity for me, which I was thrilled with. So a a few months ago I started back again with Company A. One month in, I get word that they are relocating. It was true; we relocated everything. The new facility is very old (company is saving some major money) and my commute has more than doubled.

I can look past the rough facility, however the commute is already wearing on me. Gridlock traffic is the true test of my patience! Plus I’m putting way more miles and fuel/maintenance costs on my car.

When I came back, I negotiated with my manager for higher pay. I got what I wanted without any fight. I now know why. They knew they were moving, so they tossed me a bone to incentivize coming back.

A couple weeks ago, I went to my boss and talked to him about another increase in pay. Unfortunately, that didn’t work.

I’ve been tempted to look at some of the more local companies so that my commute is under 20 minutes, instead of an hour one way now.

I may take a hit in pay, but I would save gas money/car costs and time. I’m just reluctant to leave a job and work environment that I like. Plus seeing that it looks like I was a job hopper the last 3 years is something I hate explaining. Thoughts?

TLDR: I like my job, but I’m already tired of my hour long commute (2hours round trip). What would SVTP do?

Find some way to make the commute more enjoyable, or inquire about working from home, if your job can be done in that fashion.

Stanger00

Established Member
The background: 3 years ago I left an Company A to seek more money and advancement, which did not pan out. I did this 2 more times within those 3 years. I was decently paid, however I was very unhappy with the positions. I ultimately wished to be back with Company A. After some time, my old manager reached out to me and said he had an opportunity for me, which I was thrilled with. So a a few months ago I started back again with Company A. One month in, I get word that they are relocating. It was true; we relocated everything. The new facility is very old (company is saving some major money) and my commute has more than doubled.

I can look past the rough facility, however the commute is already wearing on me. Gridlock traffic is the true test of my patience! Plus I’m putting way more miles and fuel/maintenance costs on my car.

When I came back, I negotiated with my manager for higher pay. I got what I wanted without any fight. I now know why. They knew they were moving, so they tossed me a bone to incentivize coming back.

A couple weeks ago, I went to my boss and talked to him about another increase in pay. Unfortunately, that didn’t work.

I’ve been tempted to look at some of the more local companies so that my commute is under 20 minutes, instead of an hour one way now.

I may take a hit in pay, but I would save gas money/car costs and time. I’m just reluctant to leave a job and work environment that I like. Plus seeing that it looks like I was a job hopper the last 3 years is something I hate explaining. Thoughts?

TLDR: I like my job, but I’m already tired of my hour long commute (2hours round trip). What would SVTP do?

3 hour round trip for last 4 years. Haven't had a 20 minute commute in 5 years!

I'm waiting for a listing at local water district. 30 minutes away and pays $1.50 less per hour but all benefits match my current job and cost me same out of pocket.

My current employer has a shop in the same location as water district but our chief group manager will not allow our group to work in different locations. Co-workers say I'm lucky to leave work at 3 and they have to stay till 4. They get home from work before me, let that sink in.

I'm keeping my eye out too OP. Put your application out. The worst that can happen is no one wants to interview you. I believe you were lied too for this last job and a future employer will see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
How many hours do you work? Does the salary justify the drive? If it's 8 or 10, consider that a 10 or 12 hour day, commute included.
Lots of people work 12 hour shifts. My employees included.
I guess what I'm saying is if it paid well enough, I'd not swap jobs unless I had stable options.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My commute in is about 25 minutes at 5:30 AM. Going home at 3:30 PM takes about 45 minutes. But I will never, ever be a suburbia city dweller. To hell with that.

My94GT

Established Member
I left a 15 min commute in favor of an hour to hour and a half commute at times by going back to a previous employer. The drive has days where it wears on me but I overall am much happier in the work environment I’m in plus I’m surrounded by upper management that wants to see me succeed. In the end for me it’s about quality of work environment and I’ll gladly drive for that. What I’m doing to offset the drive is buying a truck so I can have a more comfortable commute.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
If you really feel like you have a future with this company to be promoted and build your resume then suck it up and make the commute. Otherwise look for a job that has potential for you to grow.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
As an employer I can tell you that when I see a resume with many changes in employment in a few years I look at other resumes.

That doesn't directly answer your question, and I am not trying to be smart.

Any employer wants an employee that works hard, works with the existing team, and can be depended on.

E

THIS. I own my own business and when people submit resumes to me with this many job changes in such a short amount of time they go directly into the shredder.

Several people have commented to the effect of what's worse a long 2 hours commute or 8 hours of hating a job? Also, move closer to the job you like, ask for a 4x10 schedule, the possibility of telecommuting, etc.

This company wanted you back and gave you a raise. You stated you were miserable at multiple other companies and wanted to be back at this one.

Sack up.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I would likely keep the job I like and make the commute. I've been working at the same location since the 90s and used to live 10 minutes by car and 20 minutes by bike. Now I live on the other side of town and it's 35 minutes in the morning and close to 45 in the afternoon. However I only work 184 days a year so it's less a bother than others who work 12 month jobs. Maybe get some audio books and play those during the drive. Personally, I drive in dead silence. No radio or anything. But I'm weird.

Zemedici

Established Member
I would likely keep the job I like and make the commute. I've been working at the same location since the 90s and used to live 10 minutes by car and 20 minutes by bike. Now I live on the other side of town and it's 35 minutes in the morning and close to 45 in the afternoon. However I only work 184 days a year so it's less a bother than others who work 12 month jobs. Maybe get some audio books and play those during the drive. Personally, I drive in dead silence. No radio or anything. But I'm weird.

dafuq.

You one of those weird people that doesn't tint their windows too? Just rolling around fishbowl status? :D hehehe

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Is the traffic itself what tests your patience? If you got a different daily would that help at all?

You like your job and your employer has been very accommodating letting you return multiple times, if you leave again that door may shut for good.

Did you explain the higher commute to your boss when discussing the raise?
I daily my Focus ST. I didn’t want to rack up the miles on it, but it’s decent on gas a fun to drive most days. When I brought up the raise with my manager, it was based on the extra costs of commuting; as he says though, the company is tightening up spending. Hence the reason for the move to an older facility further out of town. You’re correct; if I leave, I won’t return.

If you are unhappy, leave.

Otherwise, do the job to the best of your abilities and cease your yammering.
I will stop yammering...soon, I promise ;)

This trumps everything. There's nothing worse than going to a job that you hate everyday. I would stick with the long commute for a while and see how life plays out.
Agreed

Seeing people complain about driving to work. Good lord.

My round trip daily is over 3 hours..There was a wreck last week... one way was 4 hours. Because all roads/highways out here are only 2 lanes.

A 2 hour round trip would be amazing.
Geeez, I feel for you

I wish I had a 1 hour commute. I just started a project for a VIP and it takes me anywhere from 2- 2 hours 45 mins through NJ traffic. Before that it was 1 hour 45 minutes. If you like the job an hour ain't nothing.
I’m starting to feel fortunate.

Make your drive better by giving yourself something to drive that you may enjoy more and/or improve.
Focus ST for now...

I've been driving an hour each way for almost 21 years, I have no sympathy.
I suppose I’ll get used to it.

Commuting sucks! Used to drive 1-2hrs each way into NYC for 10yrs. Made a career change to my place now in nj 10mins from home. Best thing I ever did! Took a $15/hr paycut and lemme tell u that it made no difference in my family's lifestyle due to commuting costs. Now I make way more than I ever did and would never even imagine anything longer than 15min commute

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Glad to hear it worked out for you!

3 hour round trip for last 4 years. Haven't had a 20 minute commute in 5 years!

I'm waiting for a listing at local water district. 30 minutes away and pays $1.50 less per hour but all benefits match my current job and cost me same out of pocket.

My current employer has a shop in the same location as water district but our chief group manager will not allow our group to work in different locations. Co-workers say I'm lucky to leave work at 3 and they have to stay till 4. They get home from work before me, let that sink in.

I'm keeping my eye out too OP. Put your application out. The worst that can happen is no one wants to interview you. I believe you were lied too for this last job and a future employer will see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good advice, best of luck to you.

How many hours do you work? Does the salary justify the drive? If it's 8 or 10, consider that a 10 or 12 hour day, commute included.
Lots of people work 12 hour shifts. My employees included.
I guess what I'm saying is if it paid well enough, I'd not swap jobs unless I had stable options.

I’m hourly. The pay is good, plus I usually work roughly 10 hours OT a week. If the OT wasn’t there, it wouldn’t be as worth it.

If you really feel like you have a future with this company to be promoted and build your resume then suck it up and make the commute. Otherwise look for a job that has potential for you to grow.
That’s one reason I came back. Facility manager (my direct boss) is retiring in less that 24 months. That will open up some positions for everyone else. Hopefully that’ll be a positive thing for me as well.

THIS. I own my own business and when people submit resumes to me with this many job changes in such a short amount of time they go directly into the shredder.

Several people have commented to the effect of what's worse a long 2 hours commute or 8 hours of hating a job? Also, move closer to the job you like, ask for a 4x10 schedule, the possibility of telecommuting, etc.

This company wanted you back and gave you a raise. You stated you were miserable at multiple other companies and wanted to be back at this one.

Sack up.
I’m sacking it up. I go to work everyday and it’s almost stress free. I’d much rather hate the commute rather than my work environment.

OP, do you rent or own your place?
My wife and I bought a home not too long ago. We love the home an neighborhood.

I appreciate all the responses. Ideally I’m going to stick it out and deal with the commute. It could be much worse. I’m lucky to go to work everyday and not hate like I have in the past. Thanks for taking some sense into me SVTP.

Users who are viewing this thread