Employer relocated...longer commute

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
The background: 3 years ago I left an Company A to seek more money and advancement, which did not pan out. I did this 2 more times within those 3 years. I was decently paid, however I was very unhappy with the positions. I ultimately wished to be back with Company A. After some time, my old manager reached out to me and said he had an opportunity for me, which I was thrilled with. So a a few months ago I started back again with Company A. One month in, I get word that they are relocating. It was true; we relocated everything. The new facility is very old (company is saving some major money) and my commute has more than doubled.

I can look past the rough facility, however the commute is already wearing on me. Gridlock traffic is the true test of my patience! Plus I’m putting way more miles and fuel/maintenance costs on my car.

When I came back, I negotiated with my manager for higher pay. I got what I wanted without any fight. I now know why. They knew they were moving, so they tossed me a bone to incentivize coming back.

A couple weeks ago, I went to my boss and talked to him about another increase in pay. Unfortunately, that didn’t work.

I’ve been tempted to look at some of the more local companies so that my commute is under 20 minutes, instead of an hour one way now.

I may take a hit in pay, but I would save gas money/car costs and time. I’m just reluctant to leave a job and work environment that I like. Plus seeing that it looks like I was a job hopper the last 3 years is something I hate explaining. Thoughts?

TLDR: I like my job, but I’m already tired of my hour long commute (2hours round trip). What would SVTP do?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Been there, done that. But in my case, it was many years ago, before Internet allowed possibility of working from home, or other options.

Can you possibly work a day or two at home?? Another option is to ask to work 4 days at location (more hours each day), and then get a long weekend. And to sweeten the pie, tell boss that you would be available to take some calls and/or online work, even on your 5th day at home while technically 'off duty'.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works for everyone.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
The background: 3 years ago I left an Company A to seek more money and advancement, which did not pan out. I did this 2 more times within those 3 years. I was decently paid, however I was very unhappy with the positions. I ultimately wished to be back with Company A. After some time, my old manager reached out to me and said he had an opportunity for me, which I was thrilled with. So a a few months ago I started back again with Company A. One month in, I get word that they are relocating. It was true; we relocated everything. The new facility is very old (company is saving some major money) and my commute has more than doubled.

I can look past the rough facility, however the commute is already wearing on me. Gridlock traffic is the true test of my patience! Plus I’m putting way more miles and fuel/maintenance costs on my car.

When I came back, I negotiated with my manager for higher pay. I got what I wanted without any fight. I now know why. They knew they were moving, so they tossed me a bone to incentivize coming back.

A couple weeks ago, I went to my boss and talked to him about another increase in pay. Unfortunately, that didn’t work.

I’ve been tempted to look at some of the more local companies so that my commute is under 20 minutes, instead of an hour one way now.

I may take a hit in pay, but I would save gas money/car costs and time. I’m just reluctant to leave a job and work environment that I like. Plus seeing that it looks like I was a job hopper the last 3 years is something I hate explaining. Thoughts?

TLDR: I like my job, but I’m already tired of my hour long commute (2hours round trip). What would SVTP do?
Buy a closer house, and rent out your old one.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
As an employer I can tell you that when I see a resume with many changes in employment in a few years I look at other resumes.

That doesn't directly answer your question, and I am not trying to be smart.

Any employer wants an employee that works hard, works with the existing team, and can be depended on.

E

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Make the call, but remember the following;

Your sanity is worth something.
Agreed

Been there, done that. But in my case, it was many years ago, before Internet allowed possibility of working from home, or other options.

Can you possibly work a day or two at home?? Another option is to ask to work 4 days at location (more hours each day), and then get a long weekend. And to sweeten the pie, tell boss that you would be available to take some calls and/or online work, even on your 5th day at home while technically 'off duty'.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works for everyone.
I wish that were the case, but I don’t have that option.

Buy a closer house, and rent out your old one.
Good idea, but not a feasible option right now. We bought last year. Love our new home and neighborhood.

quit whining and grow up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Agreed

As an employer I can tell you that when I see a resume with many changes in employment in a few years I look at other resumes.

Any employer wants an employee that works hard, works with the existing team, and can be depended on.

E
This is a major concern. I might be kicking myself in the nuts if I switch jobs so soon.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Gtfo

If you're unhappy no amount of pay raise or anything will fix that. It might make it worth staying a while, but in the end you'll still move.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I quit a job I liked and went to somewhere I thought I would like all because I wanted to commute less. Worst mistake I've ever made in my career

Twisted2v

Established Member
I had the same commute earlier this year and it was miserable. I moved closer.

Or you could ask to work one less hour a day, and eat while you work to leave earlier instead of a lunch break.

Zemedici

Established Member
Is the traffic itself what tests your patience? If you got a different daily would that help at all?

You like your job and your employer has been very accommodating letting you return multiple times, if you leave again that door may shut for good.

Did you explain the higher commute to your boss when discussing the raise?

Machdup1

Established Member
If you are unhappy, leave.

Otherwise, do the job to the best of your abilities and cease your yammering.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I’m just reluctant to leave a job and work environment that I like.

This trumps everything. There's nothing worse than going to a job that you hate everyday. I would stick with the long commute for a while and see how life plays out.

_Snake_

Established Member
This trumps everything. There's nothing worse than going to a job that you hate everyday. I would stick with the long commute for a while and see how life plays out.

Good advice here.

Which is a better situation each day? Hating 2 hours in traffic? Or hating 8-10 hours of work?

E

I rejected a project manager’s application last week for this very reason. As an example, they just started working for a new company in February.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Seeing people complain about driving to work. Good lord.

My round trip daily is over 3 hours..There was a wreck last week... one way was 4 hours. Because all roads/highways out here are only 2 lanes.

A 2 hour round trip would be amazing.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, go with your gut!
If you love your job, but hate the commute, then do look for a closer job, if your gut tells you.
Good luck!

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Small price to pay if you like your employer.

My home terminal recently changed so I know how you feel. My commute went from 15 minutes to an hour. Yes it sucks after a 15 hour day but the pay makes up for it.

If I were you I'd do something to make your drive a little more pleasant. Maybe upgrade your head unit and speakers or get satellite radio.

beeradd

Established Member
PODcasts keep me sane..
Sometimes I find myself taking the long route home to finish up an episode lol.
I feel your pain, get a DD that gets stellar MPG, reliable and cheap.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I wish I had a 1 hour commute. I just started a project for a VIP and it takes me anywhere from 2- 2 hours 45 mins through NJ traffic. Before that it was 1 hour 45 minutes. If you like the job an hour ain't nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread