Emissions Failure - Tuning Help

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Ok, so went to register my new to me 03 cobra. Previous owner did not have the tune done and does not know if it has been tuned. However today when I had the OBDII port read for my emissions it failed and all the guy could say is "all the sensors are turned off", he can't read anything.

How can I verify what the heck he means?

I have a little hand held $20 scan tool that I could plug in. Car does have 18,000 miles even on it as of today. Is it possible the readiness monitors never set?

Full Mods:

Bassani Cat-Back Exhaust
Bassani Catted X-pipe (No MIL Eliminators plugged in)
MGW Short Shifter
Billetflow 4 piece Pulley (2.93” w/ 100mm Idler)
JLT CAI
AFCO Double Pass Heat Exchanger
Aluminum Supercharger Coolant Tank
Aluminum Radiator Reservoir

448hp/466tq - Does that sound like tuned numbers or about average for the mods?

Thoughts? Does this mean I go in for a dyno tune, or should I just buy some tuning software from say SCT and flip them on myself (is that possible?)

EDIT: Plugged in the handheld tuner, ran the i/m readiness test and compared it to my 2014 F150. Pretty must everything come up as 'N/A' opposed to ready. The only ones showing 'Ready' were Fuel and CCM from what I recall.

Thoughts? Really thinking this was tuned now.

Last edited:

Jmurrz

Established Member
If it has an upper pulley and it has the rear 02's off then most likely someone has tuned the car. I recommend that you get it tuned if you are not sure... I would not leave it to chance.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I would think it's been tuned but still turning everything off is pretty bad practice if the equipment isnt removed, imho. I have the Bassani X too with the cats out I run the rears off, when I run cats in I keep the rear O2s on with no issue.

It is possible that the monitors aren't ready if it was sitting for awhile with a dead battery and you haven't put 25+ miles on. The fact so many are off this is possible. Also if the guy cleared a check engine light before you looked at it and didn't put miles on they won't be ready.

As far as turning monitors on or off you would need the Pro Racer software to do it with SCT, in addition to the handheld. A waste of money to buy Pro Racer unless you plan on learning to tune yourself.

If I were you I'd get it tuned anyway if you don't know it's status right now, worth the cost to know it's done right.

Last edited:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Some valid points for sure. I have put about 400 miles on it since purchase and numerous engine starts. Definitely not just a dead battery resetting the computer.

Guess its time to drop some coin on the tune

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Some valid points for sure. I have put about 400 miles on it since purchase and numerous engine starts. Definitely not just a dead battery resetting the computer.

Guess its time to drop some coin on the tune

Yeah, in that case have it checked out with 400 miles there's no way they should not be set.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok, so went to register my new to me 03 cobra. Previous owner did not have the tune done and does not know if it has been tuned. However today when I had the OBDII port read for my emissions it failed and all the guy could say is "all the sensors are turned off", he can't read anything.

How can I verify what the heck he means?

I have a little hand held $20 scan tool that I could plug in. Car does have 18,000 miles even on it as of today. Is it possible the readiness monitors never set?

Full Mods:

Bassani Cat-Back Exhaust
Bassani Catted X-pipe (No MIL Eliminators plugged in)
MGW Short Shifter
Billetflow 4 piece Pulley (2.93” w/ 100mm Idler)
JLT CAI
AFCO Double Pass Heat Exchanger
Aluminum Supercharger Coolant Tank
Aluminum Radiator Reservoir

448hp/466tq - Does that sound like tuned numbers or about average for the mods?

Thoughts? Does this mean I go in for a dyno tune, or should I just buy some tuning software from say SCT and flip them on myself (is that possible?)

EDIT: Plugged in the handheld tuner, ran the i/m readiness test and compared it to my 2014 F150. Pretty must everything come up as 'N/A' opposed to ready. The only ones showing 'Ready' were Fuel and CCM from what I recall.

Thoughts? Really thinking this was tuned now.

Those numbers indicate the car has a tune. But would definitely consider a dyno tune. For peace of mind. And you'll know the tune is right. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread