Emissions and system readiness whipple boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystickb1996

Established Member
I need some help guys. So 2013 boss 302 2.9 whipple, off rd h. I went for a obd2 emissions check and it came back rejected due to the following:
Catalyst “Not Completed”
Evap “Not Completed”
Oxy Snsr “Not Completed”
Oxy Senr Heat “Not Completed”
I'm being told by tuner that I cannot expect this setup to pass an emissions readiness test.
I have noticed that others pass with similar mods and it's really confusing me.
Any input would be appreciated
Thank you

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Most inspection states that plug into the OBD II port expect all systems to report enabled.
An off road H pipe has no bungs for 02 sensors, so they are usually turned off, which would = an inspection fail.
I run Kooks " green " catted X pipes on both cars & have no issues with inspection . ( N.J. )

Zemedici

Established Member
Should be zero issues getting said car to pass emissions. I'd talk with your tuner or find a new one.

mystickb1996

Established Member
I guess there's a way to make it pass but my tuner is not participating in writing a tune like that. I can't blame him for this. But as of now I'm sol and just moved to Vegas so I need to figure something out.

Riptide

Established Member
Try a set of defoulers and a tune that keeps the sensors plus monitor tests enabled. This is what I'm doing now. If it doesn't work I will have to try a different tune or put cats back on the car.

NV allows one monitor to be not ready fyi.

blue 07

Established Member
I have run into a similar situation myself with my 13 GT500. I am in NH were they do the sniff test and had exactly the same issues. They call it "drive cycles" that must be performed to eliminate the codes you have and need to eliminate to get it to pass. Do you have a check engine light on the dashboard that is lit? If not, its a drive cycle thing, which is what I am running into. There are different parameters that need to be met for each item that is not passing inspection. The hardest to eliminate are the 02 sensors and the heated 02 sensors which in reality are the same when you have to pass the sniff test. This will sound crazy but I have the paperwork from Ford to prove it (dedicated to the GT500 only) to get the 02 sensors to pass, you need to have between 1/2 and 3/4 full, gas in the tank, drive between 45 and 65 mph at 1500 rpm for 50 plus miles. Try not to slosh the fuel in the tank as well, meaning drive it under normal conditions and all of this needs to be performed in the first 30 minutes of driving. Huge pain in the ass to be honest with you !! In my case, there is something encrypted in the tune, proven by the fact that we changed out the cold air intake to the stock one, left the upper and lower pulleys on, tuned my SCT x4 tuner back to "stock" mode, did the drive cycle thing like I was told, and it passed the inspection on the stock tune. In your case it might be the issues with the off rd pipe, only a guess, but possible in the tune. Whoever tuned it can get into the tune and check the parameters of the 02 sensors etc and see if its in the tune. The other items not passing can be checked also.

mystickb1996

Established Member
No check engine light, but it wont complete a drive cycle with the current configuration of tune with off rd h. Im thinking of putting in some green cats and have it retuned. didn't want to go that route but im out of options.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Man,.....that's weird. There's 2 forum members on another Mustang forum that are having the EXACT same issue.
I believe they both live in New Hampshire too. They are getting frustrated.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Catalyst “Not Completed”
Evap “Not Completed”
Oxy Snsr “Not Completed”
Oxy Senr Heat “Not Completed”
I'm being told by tuner that I cannot expect this setup to pass an emissions readiness test.
I have noticed that others pass with similar mods and it's really confusing me.
Any input would be appreciated
Thank you

Oh yeah, I feel your pain! I am having same issue EXACTLY with four monitors "Not Ready". This means (as far as I understand) you are running some sort of custom tune and the monitors have been shut off for whatever reasons. I recently bought my car (2010 supercharged Roush) and it was tuned in Florida where no emissions testing required.

I have been struggling with this for about a month now and I am amazed at the lack of knowledge from some local tuners who do not want to touch mine.

Thank God I found ONE guy in my area (well, 3 hour drive) that seems to specialize in this and he has stellar reputation. I have appointment with him on July 18 to tune and get me ready to pass emissions in my state. I do have all O2 sensors and cats (hi-flow) in mine.

Good luck with yours. As far as I can tell, you need to find a reputable tuner who is familiar with this type of emissions issue.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh yeah, I feel your pain! I am having same issue EXACTLY with four monitors "Not Ready". This means (as far as I understand) you are running some sort of custom tune and the monitors have been shut off for whatever reasons. I recently bought my car (2010 supercharged Roush) and it was tuned in Florida where no emissions testing required.
I have been struggling with this for about a month now and I am amazed at the lack of knowledge from some local tuners who do not want to touch mine.
Thank God I found ONE guy in my area (well, 3 hour drive) that seems to specialize in this and he has stellar reputation. I have appointment with him on July 18 to tune and get me ready to pass emissions in my state. I do have all O2 sensors and cats (hi-flow) in mine.
Good luck with yours. As far as I can tell, you need to find a reputable tuner who is familiar with this type of emissions issue.
One of the guys that is having the same issue is talking with his tuner at Pete's Dyno in New Hampshire.
No luck yet.
(You make 4 people that I have heard of with this issue now.)

Riptide

Established Member
Like mentioned above the catalyst and O2 monitors are the biggest pita to pass. I have read elsewhere that if the O2 monitors don't pass then the catalyst won't either.

If you have HP Tuners you may be able to read your PCM and tune. You can use it to check if the rear O2 and emissions monitors are disabled or not. Mine are all enabled however they never complete. I do not get a CEL - it is somehow kept from popping up in the tune. Also you can use SCT Livelink and log your rear O2 if you want to make sure they are actually functioning.

I just installed a set of defoulers on my car. I'm going to put a few tanks of fuel through the car, try a couple full drivecycles, and if that doesn't work then there are a few options. A new tune revision from my vendor. Converting over to HP Tuners and trying to fix the issue myself. Or worst case putting the stock h pipe back on the car.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
One of the guys that is having the same issue is talking with his tuner at Pete's Dyno in New Hampshire.
No luck yet.
(You make 4 people that I have heard of with this issue now.)

Please post if/when you hear something, thanks.

mystickb1996

Established Member
I guess question is say you have the tune for cats but install the anti-fouler in an off rd h or x would this complete the readiness test and drive cycle? I definitely have a reputable tuner but due to emissions laws he can't do much which I understand.

Riptide

Established Member
Hard to say. In a situation like that as long as you aren't getting a CEL you might be able to get them to pass. Assuming "tune for cats" means the sensors are enabled as are the monitors.

I have no idea if this is true or not but have read in a couple places you aren't supposed to use cruise control for any of the tests. If true that sucks.

Shaun@AED

You won't be able to read the tune with HP.
All tuners hands are tied due to EPA's regulations that went into effect last summer. As we discussed on the phone your tune will not ever complete the check monitors as your car was tuned without factory catalysts and it is a criminal offense to modify the OBD2 system to force a complete on a vehicle with emissions equipment disabled. Criminal offenses are not taken lightly and it is not worth the risk for us to modify tunes in such a way.

The proper way to pass an emissions test is to return the emissions equipment back to Factory stock and have the vehicle retuned for the factory equipment.

Riptide

Established Member
It would be a little easier to put up with that if you didn't need a yearly test but in NV they want that. In that situation, with no way to get his setup to pass, I'd give up and put the stock midpipe back on permanently.

Last edited:

blue 07

Established Member
I will definitely. I think he said he is working with Josh that works there.
Good luck!
Speaking with Josh and Pete about this, some GT500's are no issues and others are a pita ! More issues with Coyote motors trying to pass than GT500's at this point. Will be up there soon when we will rewrite the tune from scratch, reload, do the drive cycle bs and see what happens. The issue is in the tune, thank god Pete and Josh are so knowledgeable about this and have dealt with before. I have the utmost confidence they will get it right. It is a huge pain I will admit though. Will keep you updated.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Speaking with Josh and Pete about this, some GT500's are no issues and others are a pita ! More issues with Coyote motors trying to pass than GT500's at this point. Will be up there soon when we will rewrite the tune from scratch, reload, do the drive cycle bs and see what happens. The issue is in the tune, thank god Pete and Josh are so knowledgeable about this and have dealt with before. I have the utmost confidence they will get it right. It is a huge pain I will admit though. Will keep you updated.
Awesome. Good luck!
A guy I know that lives up there is having troubles with his car passing emissions as well. I'm pretty sure he's going to have to have his tune rewritten as well. He also has Josh working on his issue.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
There's another thread on svtp about this, I posted this there yesterday, posting it here now only because there might be different people watching the 2 different threads:

(Yesterday) morning I got the FORscan software up and running on my laptop with the new Bluetooth adapter I got a couple days ago, and checking for codes, I found that I had the dreaded P0420 and P0430 codes stored in the PCM as intermittent faults, and not setting the check engine light.

Now, a couple months ago I had some nasty exhaust leaks at the cat-conv/H-pipe connections, and I wonder if that's what set those codes, but after all the tune reloads I've done since those repairs, I would've thought that those codes would've been erased a long time ago.
So there might still be an issue with the cats or with something causing those codes.

I reset the PCM and its codes, and this evening I took it out for about an hour, attempting the Ford OBD drive cycle found here: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html.
However, that cycle seems somewhat outdated for this car, since the misfire monitor sets within a minute of driving the car, the EGR monitor sets pretty quickly if I just cruise at a steady speed for a few minutes, and even the EVAP monitor sets while crusing at a steady speed.
It has me doing all kinds of crap that's apparently not necessary to set those monitors.
But I tried it, including about 20 miles of city/stop-and-go driving.
And came home frustrated again, with the catalyst and all 4 sensors still reading Incomplete.

I did a few screenshots of the FORscan Mode6 data after I shut it off, some of the "not ready" displays might be cuz the engine isn't running, I think

When I re-checked for codes, none were found.
So at least the P0420/P0430 might be gone, and hopefully just related to those leaks that have been mostly addressed since they showed up.

These are the screenshots I mentioned, if any of you reading this thread have any words of wisdom about this, please share, thanks.

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_001.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_002.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_003.jpg

The "tests performed" log:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_tests_log.jpg

The final DTC reading:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_final_DTC_read.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread