Email tunes, and SCT tuners

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Eff Bama, they aren't even custom tunes they are just "canned".

And yes you CAN get a pretty spot on email tune especially for a car with knock sensors.

Here... get ahold of James Gordon. "Tuning by James"

WELCOME TO TUNING BY JAMES

Guy is a professional tuner who knows wtf he is doing. He tuned my 4V swap remotely going back and forth with datalogs and the thing runs like a raped ape. You get a startup tune, do a log with SCT's Livewire software, send him the log and then go back and forth moving from idle to driving to WOT pulls. As long as you have a wideband installed you should be good. And if you don't... GET ONE. With knock sensors he'll be able to get it very close, closer than mine because my GT swapped to 4V does not have them...

I run this car I have on 91 octane to 7000+ on a REGULAR basis and AFR always snaps to 12.1 when I floor it on the wideband. I sent him a log recently for the fuel I am running out here in Europe and 0 issues at all.

edit: This is not going to be a one or two day tuning process, the guy is thorough and it took me 10 tune revisions to get the car spot on. About a week and a half going back and forth, he is very busy so you might wait a day to get a re-tune but its worth it. Results speak for themselves.

edit2: Not sure if your XCAL2 will work with Livewire or not, you'd have to ask James if you do contact him. If not an XCAL3 used is like $125 if you look around. What I used and worked fine.

Last edited:

omj

Established Member
I had a Bama tune. I got a custom dyno tune from Dan@ProDyno. I picked up about 30 hp at peak and a ton all around peak. Driveability and mileage also went up. I'd never do a mail order tune on these old Mustangs. Some of the new ones with a more sophisticated computer might do well with them though.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Nah, a car that has knock sensors and a wideband can get damn near spot on with a remote tune.

My tuner (James) told me straight up how many Bama tunes he's had to redo over the years. And then he said he'd get guys asking if he could just take a look at it for cheap because "it does ok"... Lol if it "does ok" why are you taking the car to another tuner?

Seriously, Bama is dogshit. I have a Steeda car and I love Steeda parts but you wouldn't catch me running one of their canned "Tunes for Life" deals either.

Get a good remote tune from a well known tuner or take the car to a well known dyno tuner. It still floors me how many ppl do all this shit to their cars and then cheap out on the tune and then will spend hours on forums defending their decision vs admitting they ****ed up.

MrHappySVT

Email tunes are garbage. Install all your mods then take the car for a custom tune.
I did this twice...hp performance in Texas, then swtuning in okc lost 2 days in Texas and my car spent over a week in OKC...both Junk. First tune from bama gave me 95% of my driveability and a lifetime of upgrades and free tunes. My .02

omj

Established Member
I did this twice...hp performance in Texas, then swtuning in okc lost 2 days in Texas and my car spent over a week in OKC...both Junk. First tune from bama gave me 95% of my driveability and a lifetime of upgrades and free tunes. My .02

You found some bad tuners. I got my Cobra on the rollers and was off in around an hour with an updated tune that was far superior to the old one. Any tuner than can't tune a car that doesn't have issues in less than a few hours is a poor worker. My supercharged tune took less than 3 hours and that was power and road tuning.

MrHappySVT

You found some bad tuners. I got my Cobra on the rollers and was off in around an hour with an updated tune that was far superior to the old one. Any tuner than can't tune a car that doesn't have issues in less than a few hours is a poor worker. My supercharged tune took less than 3 hours and that was power and road tuning.
I do agree with you, but if you live in a state where a good tuner is non-existent you don’t have any choices.

scottydsntknow

Established Member

You used shit tuners then. What was your AF with the Bama tune if you don't mind me asking? Did you actually log in SCT Livewire with a rapid rate data capture? Or did you just list your mods on a form and get a "close enough" tune?

Agreed. There are some tuners out there who should be shut down by their local township. Actually a LOT of them...

I do agree with you, but if you live in a state where a good tuner is non-existent you don’t have any choices.

You have plenty of choices. NA 4V cars have knock sensors. Install a wideband and datalog with the wideband and your factory knock setup and any good tuner can dial you in damn near as good as a dyno from anywhere in the world. My tuner tuned me from FL and I was in NJ. Just sent me an updated tune and I'm in Europe now. Car runs great.

Users who are viewing this thread