Email tunes, and SCT tuners

mnewxcv

Established Member
I am looking at getting an email tune (perhaps bama) for my 96 cobra after I finish doing the typical bolt ons. What is the modern consensus on bama? I read they do a pretty good job, particularly on NA cars. Who else is worth considering?

Also, I am likely going to try to save a few bucks and get a used unmarried tuner. Is there any functional difference between an xcal2, x3, and x4? As far as I'm concerned, the tuner will only be used to load a tune once.

mnewxcv

Established Member
thought of a couple more questions:

With BAMA, it looks like they give you 3 tunes: a street tune, a performance tune, and a race tune. Are people actually using the street and performance tune, or just loading the race tune and calling it a day? They say on their site that the race tune isn't suggested for daily use because you might 'spin the tires' too easily. o_O

One more thing, when you flash a new tune, does the ECU have to go through the relearn process to get all the monitors ready and function optimally? I ask because once I get a tune, I'd like to do back to back dyno runs to see what kind of gains and change I get in the powerband, and not sure if the relearn will prevent me from doing that effectively.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
thought of a couple more questions:

With BAMA, it looks like they give you 3 tunes: a street tune, a performance tune, and a race tune. Are people actually using the street and performance tune, or just loading the race tune and calling it a day? They say on their site that the race tune isn't suggested for daily use because you might 'spin the tires' too easily. o_O

One more thing, when you flash a new tune, does the ECU have to go through the relearn process to get all the monitors ready and function optimally? I ask because once I get a tune, I'd like to do back to back dyno runs to see what kind of gains and change I get in the powerband, and not sure if the relearn will prevent me from doing that effectively.
BAMA / AM does provide 3 tunes, and also tunes for life. At the moment my car has BAMA tunes, and they do not offer a significant change between the three octane levels on the street.

Anytime you make an adjustment to the computer, the car will need to go through the relearn process.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96gt02

Established Member
If you decide to go with a used tuner let me know! I have all models in stock, unmarried and ready to go! X2, X3, X4 and Livewire will all work for you.

mnewxcv

Established Member
I just called BAMA and the guy I spoke with said they no longer work with/support xcal2 tuners. Bummer.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Just curious, did they mention what the issue was with X-Cal2 tuners?

No. I said that I noticed on their website for their custom tunes, they list compatible tuners starting with the X3, X4, etc. Asked are the XCAL2 units supported as well? The guy said no, our tunes are compatible starting with the X3. I then asked, so even if the XCAL2 has the latest update, it isn't supported? And he said no. I left it at that without inquiring further. I know there is a firmware update for the xcal2 to accept .cef tunes, which as far as I know, is the format BAMA uses, and looking back at forum posts from 5+ years ago, BAMA/americanmuscle stated their tunes would work with xcal2s if they were updated. Not sure what changed or if the guy was misinformed/told to say that.

mnewxcv

Established Member
another question: Are SCT x3 3015 tuners all the same? I see on some sites it is listed for an f150, or a powerstroke, or a mustang, etc. Are they all the same thing?

96gt02

Established Member
A 3015 is a 3015 no matter what, only different one is a 3015V which only has preloaded tunes for vortech S/C so otherwise its basically just a 3000 custom tuner. Also the bama logo faceplate X3s are all 3015s

mnewxcv

Established Member
Well, just got off the phone with Steeda. They said their tunes are not compatible with xcal2 tuners, and that they wouldn't make a tune for a 96 cobra anyways, and that I need a chip. I asked for clarification, asking if I had an x3 or x4, would you tune for it? And they said no, we wouldn't tune for that car. On to the next tuner....

any more recomendations? Ideally looking for a 'lifetime' email tune since I plan various bolt ons over the next few months, but am adding an x pipe next week so need my rear o2's turned off, so asap.

4:10Love

I have talked to numerous people with SN95 Cobras and Bama tunes---all of us have experienced serious detonation issues with all of the tunes, even when we send back with datalogs, still screwed up....and BAD!

mnewxcv

Established Member
I have talked to numerous people with SN95 Cobras and Bama tunes---all of us have experienced serious detonation issues with all of the tunes, even when we send back with datalogs, still screwed up....and BAD!
Damn really? That sucks :(

MackDombles

Established Member
Well, just got off the phone with Steeda. They said their tunes are not compatible with xcal2 tuners, and that they wouldn't make a tune for a 96 cobra anyways, and that I need a chip. I asked for clarification, asking if I had an x3 or x4, would you tune for it? And they said no, we wouldn't tune for that car. On to the next tuner....

any more recomendations? Ideally looking for a 'lifetime' email tune since I plan various bolt ons over the next few months, but am adding an x pipe next week so need my rear o2's turned off, so asap.

I guess I will chime in here as the guy who is very happy with an email tune. I personally think it depends on how much time the tuner will spend with you testing and sending logs as well as your own abilities and knoweldge. I installed every nut and bolt on my car. Fabbed what I didnt have, and it is a frankenstien.
Marty at Mo's Speed Shop in Georgia has spent hours helping me out getting an 4v swapped, eaton swapped drive by wire, 5 speed swapped crown vic running right. None of that crap belongs in this car but you wouldnt know its not factory based on how it drives. Oem drivability.
Not only does it run excellent, but he does lifetime tunes. Based on that, a non boosted 4v in its original vehicle should be a cakewalk. Hes helped me out on sat,sunday,sunday night, ect. Id say call him and get a feel for yourself.

Btw im using a BAMA sct tuner. Marty dont care.

mlackke

Established Member
How exactly email tune process will go? I would assume following:

- You mention the tuner which kind setup, parts you have in your car.
- Tuner sends based on above values custom tune which you will upload to car
- You go dyno and street and run various "tests" to see how engine behaves and each run you log data with SCT device.
- You send logs to tuner to see if anything needs to be changed. If change required, tuner will send you updated tune

??

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
How exactly email tune process will go? I would assume following:

- You mention the tuner which kind setup, parts you have in your car.
- Tuner sends based on above values custom tune which you will upload to car
- You go dyno and street and run various "tests" to see how engine behaves and each run you log data with SCT device.
- You send logs to tuner to see if anything needs to be changed. If change required, tuner will send you updated tune

??
That is the basic step and idea.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Funny. I have had a bama tune on my car for 3 years now. Have had no detonation issues. Do the people with detonation issues all live in the same area? Perhaps use the same place for gas?

Also the general thought that email tunes are garbage is false. Why is it SCed cars are tuned via email? Because it can be pretty damn simple as long as the car is put together correctly, you know the parts on it, and the tuner knows the parts. Plus for ease of use, you cant beat it.
And our cars are old. You really think its worth taking an N/A bolt on sn95 to a dyno? Thats just silly.

Every big name out there emails tunes. Livernoise, lethal, VMP to name a few. And they email tunes for newer FI cars and they do it well.

Just pick a reputable name for email tunes and go for it. Our cars do not have the tables that newer cars do. They are simple. Any tune will help at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread