Elk vs Honda Civic

Ithnu

Established Member
Driving just west of Denver on I-70 eastbound in my friend's Dodge. We see 4 elk on the hwy. He slams the brakes, other do too. 3 elk make it across, a grey Civic takes the legs out from under the other. A Subaru rear ends the Civic. And the elk goes flying behind them.

We pull over to help. Amazingly no one is hurt. Apparently not the elk either, it gets up and starts wandering towards the hwy again. My wife runs over there yelling and waving her arms, we follow suit. The elk turns around and lays down in the grass. We await the cops, let them know it was the animal and no driver was at fault and fill out a police report.

The elk gets back up and starts heading toward the hwy again. Cop gets his handgun out, walks up there and puts 2 in its head. We fill out the rest of the paperwork. I look up, see the elk again. "Uhhh...officer that elk is back up!" It's bleeding bad through the mouth but it is again walking back towards I-70. Cop goes to his trunk grabs a shot gun and hands it to the other other cop.

He says "why do I have to do the weird shit?!"
1st cop "You're the new guy."

2nd cop walks up there, maybe 30 feet. Looks at the 1st cop then at the elk and walks up within 15 feet.

1st cop says to us "You folks might want to look away."
Me "No way man, I wanna see this!"

12 gauge slug to the side of the elk's head. 2nd cop looks down at 1st cop again, then walks right up and puts a 2nd round in the elk's head again. Double tap.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Holy shit, bad day to be an elk.

I hit a doe last fall in my 350, crushed her back side, she drug herself into the woods. I called the sheriff, they sent a deputy, he did the same thing, drew his service weapon out and put two in her head.

jason6488

Established Member
The elk undoubtedly suffered internal injuries that probably would have killed it eventually. Putting it down was the humane thing to do. That said, using a service handgun? Handguns are underpowered as it is, officer probably should have gotten the shotty from the get go. Glad no humans were hurt though and at least they had the foresight to put it down instead of letting it wander off, like most would have.

Last edited:

HandBanana

Established Member
When visiting my buddy out in Flagstaff, we got pulled over in his SI and the cop said "you guys need to keep the speed down out here, the elk come out and lay on the roads at night to get warm." I was like seriously??? He said "yeah, most are as big as this car or bigger." HAHA. Deer are bad enough but a freaking elk??

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
I think there are more fked up people in this world who deserve that kind of treatment.
It is just unfortunate that animals have to live in the same world with humans.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With elk being as big as they are, it's a small miracle that nobody was hurt, except for the elk and a bit of metal. Hitting a deer is bad enough. And elk? No thank you. Glad the cops did the humane thing and understood the elk was indeed hurt and needed to be put down.

B0B

Established Member
I have a heard that lives right down in the farm fields below my house. Every once in a while I see them crossing the highway. I was driving my truck to work one morning and there was a huge bull standing in the middle of the highway. Its back was as high as the top of my cab, and my truck has a 6" lift. Lucky for that guy driving the Honda probably saved him from getting hurt, because he went under the body of that thing. on a second thought, i'm sure that cop got in trouble for shooting the deer in that video. But, I'm sure his logic was that even IF he could have smacked it in the ass and made it run off, the deer would have wandered back into the road and got hit by a car later that night

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
It probably was best for the elk considering its injuries. But I'm not really understanding why the cop in the video (posted above) shot the deer.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I skidded right up to a Shetland Pony one night on a back road once. That horse did not move an inch and I came within 10 feet. I've hit 5 deer in the last 8 years.

It probably was best for the elk considering its injuries. But I'm not really understanding why the cop in the video (posted above) shot the deer.

The deer may have had wasting disease. If so it must be put down.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
The elk undoubtedly suffered internal injuries that probably would have killed it eventually. Putting it down was the humane thing to do. That said, using a service handgun? Handguns are underpowered as it is, officer probably should have gotten the shotty from the get go. Glad no humans were hurt though and at least they had the foresight to put it down instead of letting it wander off, like most would have.

my uncle many years ago, ran along side a cow elk that had been shot with a rifle, and tried to use a 38 Special revolver to put her down by shooting her in the head, the bullets bounced off her skull (till a shot in the ear finally put her down) that being said, elk are TOUGH animals.

because it had been hit by a car earlier, like they said in the video, it's back leg is busted up pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread